Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

EGR Blanking, 2008, TDV6 (Non DPF)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rowlejohn

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
EGR Blanking, 2008, TDV6 (Non DPF)

After sortin the Water in Fuel problem, decided to have a look at the next job which is (Or was) blanking the EGR's on my 2008, TDV6, Euro 4 without DPF.

Decided to remove the R.H. pipe from the throttle housing to see how much muck was in there and....there was a blanking plate sandwiched behind it!! Whistle Wasn't expecting that !!
Looked closer and the EGR's must have been blanked by the previous owner.
Had a look inside the throttle housing and the butterfly flap was still fitted. I removed it as per Bell Auto's write up.
The MIL has never thrown up any faults, everything is just fine. After removing the butterfly, the engine seems a bit livelier.

I have had a recurring fault appear for some time, which prompted me to blank the EGR's in case it was related:

P045D "Exhaust Gas Recirculation B Control High"...any input on that one guys???-Car runs fine, no dashboard errors.

So I have a EGR blanking kit and two new gaskets going cheap if anyone want's a bargain, just drop me a P.M.
 Relocated to Mid France from N. Wales March 2021
Rovacomlite and IDD/ SSD diagnostics user
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1 

Post #21435654th May 2020 5:19 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I’m also interested in someone to shed some light on this..

I’ve recently blanked my 07 EU4 but have left the butterfly alone? Mines driving fine as it, but what does the butterfly do? Still worth taking off?
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #21435944th May 2020 6:38 pm
Motty

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi I believe the flap closes and reduces fresh air into the engine so the engine then takes in the gases from the egrs to reburn the mix. Think it may also close when stopping the engine briefly. I have mine chipped and a egr patch on my 09 it’s it’s made a big difference in most driving stiles. Ps I’ve also got the flap removed and kept safe to refit if ever required. Thumbs Up

Post #21436034th May 2020 7:04 pm
rowlejohn

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Same here.
Did you have it "Patched" to eliminate the MIL lamp error on the dash ?
Given what I have read, the Euro 4 will put it on if the patch is not applied.
Followed the write up after discovering it had already been done before I bought the Disco over 3 years ago by, I presume by the previous owner (I am the second owner from new).
I removed the butterfly as per the Bell Auto instructions and have not had any MIL problems so far- bear in mind that it was only removed this morning.
Maybe it's my imagination but I am sure the engine is more responsive since removing it. I removed it but, as per the write up, reconnected the actuator linkage to the bare shaft and refitted.
For ease of access, remove the large round air duct at the front of the engine, followed by the fan cowl, this makes removal of the air box securing bolt easy through the fan blades.
All in all, took me around 20 mins to remove the butterfly from start to finish. Thumbs Up

BTW.
Just in case she throws a wobbler Embarassed the butterfly is in the glove box for reinstatement but so far so good
 Relocated to Mid France from N. Wales March 2021
Rovacomlite and IDD/ SSD diagnostics user
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1 

Post #21436054th May 2020 7:17 pm
Motty

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just like me. It will be more responsive. If the egrs have been blocked so no gases can be burned off and the flap was closed this is chocking the engine with the butterfly removed air car still come into the intakes. Should get better mpg

Post #21436244th May 2020 8:30 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I managed 3 days on my EU4 before the EML came on after blanking them off.

I need the patch done to turn the light off. Although it is just the light on, the Disco is driving fantastic with the blanks in place.

I’m just curious about the butterfly flap - assuming it’ll stay open if the EML is on due to a problem showing for the EGR’s ?

I’m guessing the butterfly might become a problem once the patch is done and the Disco thinks the EGR’s are working?

EDIT: From having a quick search - it sounds like, from what I can gather anyway...is that the butterfly only closes when the EGR’s open (off throttle/de-acceleration) to cause a vacuum? So in theory the butterfly won’t make any noticeable difference, as it’s only closing/restricting the air off while off throttle.

Obviously I will now take the butterfly out, now I’ve read up - but I wouldn’t say it’s a ‘must’ do if your ever stuck doing an emergency EGR blank on the side of the road.

I’ve done about 300 miles since blanking mine and not touched the butterfly yet - all I’ve noticed is positives in driving improvements. I will report back once the butterfly is out on the weekend.
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #21436254th May 2020 8:30 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Don’t know how useful this is

The butterfly should be removed and the butterfly rod put back in,

Blanks are normally fitted onto the engine block and then the egr pipes put back, this is mainly for the MOT regulations , so that it can’t be seen that they’ve been blanked

also always best to clean the throttle body and MAP sensor, when cleaning the MAP sensor don’t put anything down the hole, or it will get damaged , use some egr spray

Carefully clean up the large U rings in the throttle body and apply a thin smear of silicone grease, can be bought from plumbing supplies

This is what I personally done to mine and please don’t think I’m trying to tell anyone how to suck eggs nor do I want this to come across as being rude in any way

Alas will need the patch done as the light will be an MOT failure

Hope that helps

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Plse make sure the clip goes back correctly , also fitted new silicone intercooler hose and T bolt clamp

Click image to enlarge

Found removing the air filter box and sides of battery boxes an easier way to get better access
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #21436284th May 2020 8:58 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Silicone grease for the O rings

Also tie some Cotten round the clips to prevent them getting lost

Post #21436304th May 2020 9:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: