Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Ebay towbars - Genuine or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Ebay towbars - Genuine or not

As a new member, may I first say hello. This forum is a mine of good info and I am most impressed with the quantity and quality of it.

I have a question regarding items for sale on ebay. I am looking for a removeable towball and having seen some on ebay. Should I be concerned about their quality? I don't want to end up buying something which appears to be a genuine LR part but may have been forged. The safety implications are obvious.

Post #27941830th Mar 2008 9:35 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I bought one off e-bay which has been fine, I am not sure anybody has produced a forged version yet, but I may be wrong.

You need to be aware that there was a recall for some tow bars from a certain productin batch. If you do a search it should come up.

Post #27942030th Mar 2008 9:39 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hello and welcome to the merry band Thumbs Up

Many on here have purchased their towbars from e-bay with no ill-effects. TheLargeOne - AKA Nick at yeovil landrover will do you a mighty fine discount on a new one with warranty if you are in anyway concerned about e-bay.

I would add that there is a current notice on quality concerns (batch numbers available) - nick will give you the details or do a search on here. Obviously those who bought on ebay for much cheapness - may have a problem returning them Embarassed
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #27942230th Mar 2008 9:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

lol must type faster
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #27942330th Mar 2008 9:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HughMartin

Thanks to Countrywide & 90BHP for your replies.

I have since bought a second hand removeable towbar which looks genuine but I have a query regarding its fitting.

The spring loaded lug which locates into the hole in the front face of the socket doesn't seem to protrude into the hole very far.

It would give me peace of mind if I could check the dimensions of this lug's displacement with someone else's.

Could someone be good enough to measure the following?

1. With the towbar OFF the car, turn the green knob until it it hits the internal stop WITHOUT pulling the knob out. In this condition, how much of the lower flat surface of the lug is still protruding from the body of the towbar (measure from the tip of the flat surface of the lug back to the body of the unit)

2. With the towbar ON the car, how much of the lug (if any) protrudes out BEYOND the front face of the socket hole. ie, by how much does it go through the hole and out the other side.

Hope that makes sense. I am hoping to take it into a LR dealer to get it checked there but it would be useful to check it against another used one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post #2819913rd Apr 2008 10:39 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I thought they were all forged!

I'll get me coat!

Post #2820594th Apr 2008 6:32 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

HughMartin, in case you are beginning to think the site is not informative. Laughing....... 1. 11mm. 2. recessed about 2mm. Full extension with towbar off car, measured just below centreline from tip to body = 22mm.

Last edited by DN on 4th Apr 2008 9:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2822904th Apr 2008 6:36 pm
Rugby Man

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Try Brink Towbars part of the Thule group they supply L/R direct.

[Commercial content removed]

Post #2823984th Apr 2008 9:39 pm
HughMartin

DND3, thanks very much for doing that.

Post #2829266th Apr 2008 2:38 pm
warrior22

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi all, just joined too.

The recall batch numbers that I am aware of are; AC07, AD07, AE07, AG07, AH07.

I've also bought the tow hook and electrics from ebay with no problems. I asked what the batch number was on the towhook and it wasn't any of the above. I'd be very surprised if there were any fakes around. I would think that some of them on ebay are care of sticky fingers, some from individuals that never got round to using theirs, some from individuals that no longer need theirs and the rest from a wholesale purchase.
Anyway, good idea and good design.

Really glad I've eventually got round to signing up as I've just found the info on replacement wiper blades, of which I've just ordered! Been driving me nuts! Shame Guy Salmon Gatwick don't read the info here. Same problem with my tyres. Dealer didn't have a clue other than OE when I asked about decent tyres that didn't get stuck in a puddle; a 4x4 is only as good as it's tyres and I had a gargantuan task trying to find a tyre that would suit a 50/50 lifestyle (No, I don't mean bisexual either!) In the end I just went for the MTR as it was the only thing in HSE size. Not cheap though I think I did well at £825 fitted. Absolutely brilliant tyre! Happy at 90mph around the M25 or 5mph across a quarry!

Anyway, glad to be here and look forward to visiting and contributing regularly.

Regards Very Happy

Post #2832116th Apr 2008 11:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >