Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

How easy is it to change the driver/passenger seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
free1000

United Kingdom 
How easy is it to change the driver/passenger seats

I'm buying a Disco 4 HSE and wondered how easy it is to swap the electric drivers seat for a manual one.

Is it just a case of unplugging and removing the electric seat and attaching the manual seat to the existing rails, ie: a simple swap out?

Also, does anyone know if there is a lot of visual difference between the black leather manual seats and the HSE electric seats? I'm wondering if I could get away with just swapping the drivers seat and if it would be a close enough match if I left the passenger seat with electrics in place.

(This may seem a strange thing to want to do, but I am very tall and I've found that the manual seats drop down a little further on the XS models, and want to find out how easy it is to do the switch if I find I could use a little more room)

Post #195493618th Jun 2018 1:07 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I am also tall and found I couldn't get comfortable with the manual seat, it giving me neck and back pain . I was either comfortable but not sitting correctly relative to the controls or sitting in the right place but with pain. After 6 months I sold the vehicle and got a one with electric seats, which due to the fine adjustment and separate tilt on the cushion has proved OK for 13 years. Obviously proportions as well actual overall height will make a difference. I would do a test drive over a number of Hours before making the change.
I wonder if changing the HSE seat to manual may upset the electronics as things are all linked, I am sure someone will have the answer.

Post #195494318th Jun 2018 1:53 pm
free1000

United Kingdom 

Interesting to hear your story. I'm planning a couple of long distance trips to test this out before I make any changes.

I am not particularly tall in the body, but have long lanky legs. The main problem is an ageing one of getting some kind of arthritic pain in my right leg. On quite short trips in a 'normal' car, ie: most of them, the aches and pains start pretty quickly. On the Discovery we did a long test drive (30 mins) and I didn't detect any problem so its possible the electric seats will be ok.

I'm just doing my research so I can plan for the contingency of swapping if I need to. When I've sat in models the XS seemed more comfortable but we just happened to find an HSE we liked.

Post #195494718th Jun 2018 2:04 pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I did the swap the other way. Mine came with manual seats, which made my legs hurt after quite short journeys. I have short legs.

Swapped for HSE seats, the loom was in place, I had to fiddle with the CCF to inform car that I now had electric seats and everything worked. Extra height adjustment and slightly softer seat leather seemed to work for me.

I think you could get away with having one of each. The difference is in the surface finish of the leather, the HSE seats are smoother while the manual seats have a slight grain. I had HSE seats in the front with the standard grainier leather in the back.

No-one else will notice.

Post #195497718th Jun 2018 3:15 pm
al cope

England 

there is much more adjustement on the electric seats, mainly in the seat base height adjustement, than on the manual seats. Stick with the electric ones.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #195497918th Jun 2018 3:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >