DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Dual Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
lrd3 Ruud

Netherlands 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Thumbs Up
I had a good look at Macleod's pictures, and it doesn't look very hard to install, installing the wires to the back of the car obviously is a different story because of all the bits you have to take of to run the cable.
I had a look on the site you referred to but couldn't open the type specific page.
I was only wondering how the system would behave when using a winch and, if the main battery was flat.
There doesn't seems to be a way to "link" the bateries together manually.
But nevertheless, i think this system is the easiest one to install and use.
Prices are pretty good as well, delivery time is not bad considering it's send from the other side of the world.

Thanx again, Ruud

Post #72933210th Dec 2010 2:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

lrd3 Ruud wrote:
Hi Peter,

SNIP
I was only wondering how the system would behave when using a winch and,
if the main battery was flat.
If the main battery is flat, the SC80-LR will isolate the two batteries. An easy way to overcome this is to join the +'ve terminals of the two batteries using a jumper lead.

There doesn't seems to be a way to "link" the bateries together manually.
See above.

SNIP

Thanx again, Ruud

Is this link better?
http://www.traxide.com.au/D3_kits.html

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #72972911th Dec 2010 2:21 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry I did'nt get back to you earlier Ruud, busy chap...

Traxide is a VERY GOOD product, you have been explained now that it protects the cranking battrey, so if you foolow the same procedures you do now to protect the cranking battrey (not leaving doors open/lights on etc), and only use the AUX Power sockets for power draw when key is out.

Have a look at the FULL Install write up.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic54208.h...xide%5C%22

Very easy to do, as the instruction Tim will send you are brilliant. As mentioned by BW, his in Australia and a forum member DriveSafe.

Good luck, and lets us know how you get on mate Thumbs Up

Jason

Post #72976911th Dec 2010 10:54 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

you don't HAVE to go down the traxide route, there is a good option here in the UK, price is good,, and it's not complicated to fit,

as recomended to me by member XTC i bought this one.

http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/split-charg...harge-kits

i fitted it in the dark 2 nights ago,, and believe me when i say i am a muppet when it comes to electronics it was done in about an hour.

the traxide is good,. although some sseem to be having issues in the cold as per threads on here,,
 one wife.......livid  
Post #72978011th Dec 2010 11:23 am
MacLeod 313

ad15 wrote:

the traxide is good,. although some sseem to be having issues in the cold as per threads on here,,

Are we???, dont mean that deogortary either before people start. I have only read of one thread where the doors and keys were left in and drained the cranking battrey, which will happen. The Traxide is seperate and the kit does'nt allow drain unless things are being powered in the Traxide sockets.

Having said that, would like to read these threads Ad cos I have a problem and think its my OEM 5 yr old Battrey, Optima is fine on the other side Big Cry

Post #72983611th Dec 2010 2:26 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ad15 wrote:
believe me when i say i am a muppet,,

Yeah Ade we know that Smile are you sure it only took that long Rolling with laughter Whistle
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #72998811th Dec 2010 7:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If it was my recent issues with dead cranking battery, in which I initially suspected a fault in the Traxide system.

It was definitly not the Traxide, it was a bad cranking battery, but what made it worse was the instrument pack was draining a small amount of current constantly. It has now been replaced, and a new main battery fitted. All is now perfect, even in the recent arctic conditions.

Post #73002311th Dec 2010 8:18 pm
MacLeod 313

Thats what I thought Garath, of late yours was the only UK possible problem.......I have'nt read of a Traxide problem here, although willing to listen to problems Thumbs Up

Post #73005211th Dec 2010 8:54 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I got into a discussion with Tim about this some time ago, so I think these comments are not completely true/factual Mac:

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Traxide is a VERY GOOD product, you have been explained now that it protects the cranking battrey,

MacLeod 313 wrote:
The Traxide is seperate and the kit does'nt allow drain unless things are being powered in the Traxide sockets.

The Traxide works differently to almost all other dual battery controllers on the market in that it WILL keep your cranking and auxilliary batteries connected in parallel with the engine off until the cranking battery depletes by a certain amount (ISTR 75% but could be wrong).

Whilst Tim says that they've always done it like this and it has never caused a problem (something that appears correct because there have been no real complaints attributed to the system), it still seems a rather bizarre way of working for a system of this type.

Obviously Tim knows much more than most of us could ever know about the effects of allowing the cranking battery to be partially discharged, but I personally prefer a system that completely isolates both batteries when the alternator is not charging.

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #73013811th Dec 2010 11:23 pm
lrd3 Ruud

Hey Jason,
No problem mate, have been busy yesterday as well. (nothing to do with LRD unfortunatly)
Thanks for you reply anyway, your system photo's do help a lot.
It seem to be like Paul says, the Traxide system works differently from all other systems.
I think it a very easy system to install and expand.
Although, i still don't see how you can manually link the batteries togheter IF the main battery is flat and you want to start it again.
But like i said, i like the system because it's easy to work, i also don't really like all these flashing lights from most other systems availlable.

Thanx again for all replies.

Cheers, Ruud
 Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to see them come true.

MODS:
-TJM-OX 9500 winch, Dyneema winch rope, RLD hidden winch mount, RLD sump guard, RLD rock sliders, 2" OME suspension lift, Traxide dual battery system, B.A.S. remap, B.A.S. fbh controller, Cooper LTZ 285x60 R18, Fog lights, Viair 330 onboard air system, Victron 600watt 220v inverter, FR rear underbody protection (in progress)

Yep, still bits in progress, but we'll get there eventually!! 

Post #73021512th Dec 2010 10:17 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Ruud,
I couple of us have mentioned using jumper leads to connect the two batteries in the circumstance that you describe.

It would seem that you don't understand what "jumper leads" are. They are the leads used to connect two batteries (commonly from different vehicles) together in order to allow the vehicle with the flat battery to start.

In the case of the Traxide unit, it is only necessary to connect the +'ve terminals of the starting and aux battery together, as both batteries have a common ground.

HTH,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #73059313th Dec 2010 2:15 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ruud

Linking the batteries together is very simple

Look at my post here

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic56911.h...p;start=15
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #73059613th Dec 2010 2:59 am
Windy Corner

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Quote:
ad15 wrote:

I have been having issues in the cold with my traxide, it is currently disconnected.

In the cold weather the YT seems to drag the cranking battery charge level down and the short runs that I do never seem to get either battery anywhere near where it needs to be. I didn't have a problem over the summer, and the cranking battery was replaced in the spring with the uprated one.

Now it is disconnected there doesn't seem to be any issue

I think there is an issue with the "cut out" voltage being too low for the cold weather conditions, but only on cars that are not used everyday or do short runs only (like mine) where the battery is exposed to a period of time at the low level without a long enough trip to fully charge it.

Rik
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 Baltic Blue
Discovery 3 S TDV6 Zambezi Silver - Now gone........
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response 

Post #73067713th Dec 2010 11:58 am
lrd3 Ruud

Hi Peter,
I understand what you mean now, just jump start from the aux battery! why didn't i think of that. Embarassed
You can do that with a normal jumper lead or, like Wiggs with a more permanent solution.
Yep, good thinking guys, i feel a bit silly now. Embarassed Big Cry Embarassed

Hi Wiggs,
That's a good idea that, semi permanent solution.
Always ready when / if you need it.

Thanx for your replies guys.

Ruud
 Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to see them come true.

MODS:
-TJM-OX 9500 winch, Dyneema winch rope, RLD hidden winch mount, RLD sump guard, RLD rock sliders, 2" OME suspension lift, Traxide dual battery system, B.A.S. remap, B.A.S. fbh controller, Cooper LTZ 285x60 R18, Fog lights, Viair 330 onboard air system, Victron 600watt 220v inverter, FR rear underbody protection (in progress)

Post #73068313th Dec 2010 12:32 pm
lrd3 Ruud

I have another question though.
I have located the earth bold in my aux battery location, which is on the lefthand side of my car.
(lefthand drive)
But, i can't find the bulkhead grommet.
Is that located on the same side or, because its a LHD, on the other side?
Where is it on a RHD, main or aux battery side?

Hope you guys can put me in the right direction.

Thanx, Ruud Thumbs Up

MODS:

Post #73068713th Dec 2010 12:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >