DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Drl halo spotlights fittings question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Wasson

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Drl halo spotlights fittings question

Hi everyone,

Firstly I’m a complete novice at anything electrical so please go steady with me.

I’ve bought a set of drl/fog lights the fittings instructions are as follows.

‘The DRL is designed to turn on and off with the ignition like an OEM vehicle. On your old VW, it would have stayed on for an extended period of time as the wiring on nearly all VAG group vehicles is "CANBUS" (so it's slightly more intelligent and takes a little time for the system to shut down upon locking.) On our kit, are two wires to be connected. The Red wire (which controls DRL on & off) must be connected to an ignition live source, I generally advise using a fuse tap to save splicing into wires - available on eBay or Halfords. The Yellow wire can be connected to the headlight positive feed, this turns off the outer DRL ring when the headlights are switched on to meet MOT compliance.

There are modules on the market which will dim LED's and it would meet MOT compliance, but as the DRL is located in the location of the fog light it's advisable for them to turn off when the headlights are switched on (so as not to mistake from a distance having your fog lights on in clear weather.)

I tend to connect the Yellow switching wire to the actual dipped beam positive feed, so the DRL still illuminates when the the sidelights are switched on and only turns off when the dipped headlight beam is activated.‘

So all pretty straight forwards.

I take it there is only one yellow dipped beam wire coming from the back of the headlights?

Where do I take the live feed from? From another post someone had suggested the smog sensor as it’s stays on longer once the car is switched off and turns on when’s doors are opened etc which is exactly what i’d Like.

But from the picture below....what wire would be a live feed or can someone suggest another option that would also allow for the same outcome.

The pics are both from the forum, I don’t know which I have as some one has coloured wires and one all black

Thanks in advance scott

Post #206941719th Jul 2019 7:07 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

so ... the connector you show in the pictures is the "Japanese" (or "Chinese" or "SMOG" )connector which (when sensor is fitted) will turn the a/c into recirculate mode so as not to suck poisonous "fresh" air into the car when smog is bad enough.

it does have a suitable ign switched +ve and a -ve, but no connection to headlamps. I identified the +ve/-ve wires then snipped one of the others and taped the end out of the way, then connected dipped beam feed top the freed-up pin.

i then connected the DRL wires to suitable pins inserted in the other half of the Japanese connector ... they used an unwired female connector to hold the wired male half in place. fiddly to separate, but a small screwdriver should do the trick. mt DRLs are (or rather, were, as they died ) mounted in the grille, so using connector as i have means i can remove grille from vehicle without having to cut wires again.

Post #206950419th Jul 2019 12:43 pm
Wasson

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi, thanks for the reply, I don’t think I need anything as complicated as this method, I only have two leads as the rest works from the fog light connections.

I only have two wires I need to connect, one The dipped beam so I was hoping someone could clarify what colour wire this is from the head light and then a positive feed which I’d like to take from the smog socket and gain could someone clarify the correct one?

Post #206969020th Jul 2019 8:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >