Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Driving & Maintaining the Turbo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Driving & Maintaining the Turbo

We are all aware of problems with the LR Turbo.

The question is how best to treat it when driving, and what (if any) routine preventative will prolong the life of the turbo.

When I was a pilot (PPL not CPL) I was always told that turbocharged engines should not be allowed after starting, save for a few seconds to allow oil to circulate to all parts of the engine - particularly in cold weather.

I was also told that before turning off the engine it should be allowed to idle for some time, so that the turbo cooled down - this allegedly reduced the build up of carbon in the turbo.

I have applied both these principles to all tubocharged cars I have owned, both petrol and diesel.

I would appreciate comments on the above from those younger & better informed that I.

On the preventative maintenance side I use Redex from time to time, & Forte on the mid service oil changes that my Indy does.

Might it be sensible to use "Subaru upper engine cleaner", in the USA & UK Seafoam, from time to time:-

http://www.ukseafoamseller.co.uk/

Also see this thread:-

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic68257.html

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #82442410th Aug 2011 9:57 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
turbo care

Allowing to cool before turning off...on a very hot raced engine underbonnet (hood)temperatures increase initially if it is left at tick over as there is no flow of air..better to drive moderately before coming to a stop allowing the air to do its job.
other than that drive it like you hate it..turbos need to be spun and to get hot..very hot to prevent most common issues.e.g.sticky vanes. sooting.

I believe the " leave it at idle for a while" stemmed from the nissan sylvia turbo which if turned off after a blast the oil feed pipe to the turbo would overheat thus burning some oil inside and gradually clog starving the turbo of oil. maybe some one can confirm this?

but do allow oil to get to temp. before gunning it.

Apart from that good oil and air filters a must.
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #82442710th Aug 2011 10:11 am
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

When i got my D3 in 2007 i had alot of work done under warranty, namely a new turbo and intercooler.

This was done at 33k - im now at 97k on that turbo.

(Not wanting to tempt fate) I ALWAYS give it 30 seconds before driving off and before stopping to let the oil circulate fully.

Also every diesel ive ever had I have gunned through the gears to max revs at least once a week, when fully up to temp of course. My D3 does not smoke even a smigde and the last check by TFC and his box of electronic monitoring showed the engine running smoother than an MP,s expenses claim form!!

Just my two pennies worth.

Dave

Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #82443010th Aug 2011 10:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jim1000

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Interesting. My old man was an engineer so I have a lot drummed into me, but (against my wife's arguments) I like to allow 30-60 seconds idle before pulling-away. Drive like a granny until warmed and then drive pretty calmly at all other times.

I was thinking like you said that once a week at least I should give it a good high revving for a few seconds. Is it OK being done when stationery in park?

---

I often believe that the way you treat/drive a car is 90% of a car's preventative maintenance.

My missus reduces a car's life by half! Laughing
 Nov 04 D3 TDV6 HSE Java Black  
Post #82444610th Aug 2011 11:02 am
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

I used to rep for about 15 years and every year I was given a new diesel car and the only to get it to shift was to nail the Censored to the red line often and long.

Always had angood effect in the long term.

Also a couple of farmers I know do this with their plant diesels, slam the sods as often as possible to keep them running smooth and efficient !

I'm not sure statiOnary is a good idea tho, I always do mine on a long run

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #82445010th Aug 2011 11:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jim1000

Hard to slam a 3 ton lump with a dictatorial auto box!

I suppose using shift command as I come onto a motorway, I can hold the gears bringing the revs up until I reach speed is a good move.

But, what rev count for a TDV6 is OK to go to???
Post #82445410th Aug 2011 11:15 am
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

4500 + Depending on road conditions and safety.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #82446010th Aug 2011 11:28 am
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

I have put the odd half bottle of red ex in too.

I had a little soot a few months back on hard power, dropped half a bottle in the tank, and hey presto clean as a whistle since.

Thumbs Up

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #82446210th Aug 2011 11:32 am
Jim1000

Is this basic Redex for diesel engines you get in the garage or at Halfords?
Post #82446410th Aug 2011 11:34 am
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

bigdave wrote:
4500 +

Without the "+" I think, mine seems to upshift at around 4500 in command mode Confused
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #82446510th Aug 2011 11:36 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Don't worry, the engine management seems to know what the red line is - mine never makes it beyond 4200 before the next gear comes along. Mind you, that's Auto and I don't know what Manuals are treated to by the engine management; do they stop the fuel above red-line to bring it in check?

I too subscribe to BigDave's methods, and have had turbo cars with 220,000+ miles on them without turbo or auto gearbox issues.

Never ever ever red-line a cold engine unless your life depends on it; it's suicide for the engine. I keep my RPM around the 2000 mark until the temp needle is halfway.

I find my favoured red-line turbo workout is on acceleration ramps onto quiet motorways that have traffic lights controlling the entry. Wait at the red light, pushing the stick over into Sports mode then at green (not amber Whistle) grind the accelerator pedal into the carpet (this exercises the kick-down linkage) and hold it there, allowing the auto to change up at each red-line. I do this once or twice a week. For experimental reasons I have tried it twice in twenty minutes, and was able to see light soot in the exhaust the first time and none the second, so there's a good chance it's working as an approach.

There's no point in doing this stationary - if there's no load on your engine then there's no load on your turbo; sure it's spinning but it's not working hard, and therefore it's not getting really hot nor are there massive whirlwinds of air scouring the vanes for you. Much better to integrate it into your daily drive where you have lots of nice cooling air coming through your engine bay (not that I can see any of that reaching the outside of the turbo) and work it damned hard without annoying your neighbours.

It's all down to a general rule I was told by an expert mechanic many years before electronics were used in cars.
Quote:
If there's a part that should move, then make sure it gets moved often or it'll seize up and won't move when you need it to
In this case he was referring to the waste-gate actuator on a turbo, but it seems to fit everywhere, so every week I use HDC, off-road height, all positions of the gear lever, access height, the electric park brake, high/low ratio change , ABS(I can only safely check this when it's rained and I'm on a road near where I live that always has diesel spilled on it from the newly fuelled up artics) electric windows, door mirror fold - anything that should move that I can safely exercise gets exercised.

If there was somewhere that I could cross axle the suspension near me, I'd do that too to exercise the limits of the components, but sadly I haven't found anywhere I can (legally) do this.

By the way, I was advised to ignore the manufacturers advice when running in the engine, and instead to do lots of high torque / low revs work (never even close to red-line) to force the piston rings to bed in quickly before they were forge hardened by the hammering of the high pressure diesel ignition. This approach only works in the first couple of thousand miles (after which the rings are hardened and set in position and so can no longer easily expand into the bore of the cylinder) and requires a filter/oil change after it to remove the extra swarf it creates.

I'm now at 60,000 miles and apart from during those first few months have never had to top up the oil as it remains at the top bead on the dip-stick for the full 15,000 miles. Anyone else successfully used this running in approach?

Sorry, that all got a bit big for a quick reply Embarassed
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #82447510th Aug 2011 12:10 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Yep had mine since 32k and now at 97k and never had to top up the oil ever.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Note I have had to replace virtually everything else mind you but thats for another day............. Big Cry

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #82447710th Aug 2011 12:14 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Totally agree with stapldm, though sadly SWMBO gets daily use of our Disco so cannot enforce "maintenance runs" until the weekend - which is good enough I guess Smile

stapldm wrote:
...grind the accelerator pedal into the carpet (this exercises the kick-down linkage) and hold it there...

Thanks for this tip, I had never thought of the kick-down link... I suppose that will be exercised if in command shift (manual) as well? Would hard braking (not engaging the ABS though) similarly exercise "kick-up"? Or would the occasional EPB in motion work best?

Sorry, bit Off Topic Embarassed
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #82448310th Aug 2011 12:27 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I drive like miss daisy a lot of the time so i have a specific routine - wednesday nights am usually doing the same jouney home at about 10.30pm, i have to turn left onto a dual carrigeway that is almost certainly deserted at that time so I actually go through each gear as I pull out (its manual) not quite flat out, to 4000 rpm, until I am about at the legal limit obviously Whistle

It was surprising how much c Censored p came out the back the first few times I did this.

Is it childish to say that I also wind the windows down becuase i like the noise it makes? Embarassed

Post #82449010th Aug 2011 1:03 pm
Jim1000

Without meaning to go off-topic, my favourite sound is when I back out of the drive when the engine's gold in the mornings. Instead of the tractor rattle and rumble, it has a small jet engine kind of roar. Makes me feel like it can take off!! Very Happy

Also, now I can print-off this post and have an excuse to tell my wife why I need to put my foot down occasionally!
Post #82449210th Aug 2011 1:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >