Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Driving/fog lamp short-circuit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Driving/fog lamp short-circuit

Having had the best driving holiday I can remember (they tell me there was a caravan attached to the back....), I decided to investigate driving/fog lamp failure.

10/10 for easy visual access to the main fuse panel, but WHO can get their hands in to it? Me, apparently, less some skin. Fuse 38 had gone to the big panel in the sky, swiftly followed by the impetuously fitted replacement. Big Cry . WHY do we do that?

Removing both lamps revealed a short on the LHS lamp (nearside, but I was in France; offside to them... Confused ).

Picture on Gallery shows a sharp bit of frame which had successfully hack-sawed through the live feed (why not the earth wire? Evil or Very Mad ) requiring a protective plastic cover to be improvised, and wire taped up.

New fuse, more skin lost, full function Very Happy

The SE is 15 months old but the backs of the lamps show significant corrosion, worth some wax treatment before it gets worse, I guess.

Andy
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #20566319th Sep 2007 10:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up one to watch out for! never used the fog lights on either of my Disco3's TBH so I wouldn't know if this has happened to mine or not

Post #20567419th Sep 2007 10:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Good find Andy, and good to know who to call when I need a fuse changing Laughing but is a wax treatment a good idea next to something glowing at 3000Kelvin? How hot does it get on the corroded bits?

edit : TFC, do you think you could start a shop for loom tape? I'm starting to see a pattern emerging... Whistle
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #20567519th Sep 2007 10:25 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

10 - it gets foggy in Saddleworth ( Sheep Sheep Sheep ) - it is now, actually!

stapldm - I confess I hadn't though of the temperature Embarassed , but the reflector is a chunky alloy casting, and its the filament that gets to 3000K. HOWEVER, I do have an infrared thermometer and will INVESTIGATE...

Andy
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #20568619th Sep 2007 10:37 pm
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

When I mentioned this to my dealer he admitted it was a known problem and told me the wires would be chaffed through Rolling Eyes
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #20570019th Sep 2007 10:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >