Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Door to body connector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Door to body connector

Does anyone know how the connector on the body from the door wiring near the door hinges comes apart Question Question On the drivers side I have a speaker that drops out and also the SRS indicator comes on occasionally. If I grab the ribbed rubber tube coming from the door and move it around it fixes things for a while. I have taken the kick panel off near the accelerator pedal and can get at the connector on the inside of the body but can't work out how it disconnects and I don't want to break it . Sad
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #47223826th May 2009 10:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The problem is more likely in the door i would think, you will need to take the door trim off.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47225226th May 2009 10:53 am
catweasel

any chance you can get a pic even if it is with a mirror? the only thing I can find regarding that connector is this

looking at the wiring diags this connector is common to the srs sensors in the door as well as the speakers so could well be the issue. when you move it around are you pulling at the wiring going into the door? have you had any issues with the wing mirrors electrical operation? if you cant get a pic I could use my lipstick cam to have a look Wink

Post #47227826th May 2009 12:10 pm
garryc

I have that same info. Very Happy I have used a mirror on a stick and a torch but cant see how the connectors clip together. They move round a bit so I don't think the inner one is firmly fixed to a bracket. I had the SRS problem done early on in the warranty and was told it was a connector in the door at the sensor(crash sensor 1) but a recent examination shows that they had bent the gold connectors in the female plug Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I'm wondering if they did the same at the door connector Question

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #47254327th May 2009 4:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Here you go guys,
Used my special BBS SPY camera for ya Rolling with laughter

The locking latch segment with the target symbol on it, that is on the car side part of the connector inside the pillar is currently pictured in the connector apart / open position, when engaged, the segment would rotate around point x in the direction of the arrow, driven by the teeth (marked t) however right under the target is a peg that is in a hole that you can see on the second picture, when closed that peg drops in the square hole in line with the point of rotation

so you have to lever the segment flap out sideways and away from the connector body (it is quite thin and it feels wrong to do it) and rotate it the other direction to the arrow, (as there is one on both sides that are not inter connected) by moving them down about point x while allowing the connector to come towards you away from the other half. I find that the best thing to do is to lever them out till the peg is free of the square hole and slide in a business card, do that on both sides then the pull on the connector while aiding the segments in rotating. obviously to re insert you need to get something to keep the segments peg out of the round hole as you push the connector back.

hope it helps

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #47277527th May 2009 2:21 pm
garryc

Thanks Bow down Bow down

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #47303728th May 2009 2:07 am
garryc

Well I got the connector apart Very Happy and found corrosion on the pins in the lower half probably caused by water Sad I cleaned everything as well as possible and will see if I get my SRS error light on again when I open the door with the engine running. I also noticed that the rectangular rubber boot that goes against the body work and connector was not fully against the body work. By pulling upwards on the boot/connector it seemed to lock the connector firmly in place and the boot against the body. Maybe this has always been loose as I have had the SRS error since the car was about 6 months old. The first 'fix' was to reseat the connector at Crash sensor 1 in the drivers door. Second 'fix' was the clock spring. Third 'fix' was the clock spring again(different dealer). Fourth 'fix' was to replace the crash sensor. All these seemed to fix things for a period. We will see 8)

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #47406130th May 2009 6:10 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Good to know where problems may be coming from. Thumbs Up

Wooo Hoo. Very Happy Milestone.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47407930th May 2009 7:19 am
cornishboy

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Great bit of info here but one question -

How do I get to this plug and check it?

Cheers

Post #50128929th Jul 2009 12:54 pm
garryc

cornishboy wrote:
Great bit of info here but one question -

How do I get to this plug and check it?

Cheers
Being a contortionist helps Laughing Pull off the side panel or kick plate, it only clips in, and if you look through a hole in the body work you will find it. See the previously posted pictures. You need to lift the tabs or plates on both sides of the connector and rotate them as they are geared to other part of the connector and not just pull apart type connector. 8) 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #50156930th Jul 2009 2:42 am
Rob H

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Thanks ! Door to body connector - airbag warning light on

Hi,

I had the airbag light coming on intermittently for more than a year.

I was convinced that it was the connector in the driver's door (most times - open door, light comes on!). But went to 2 independents, and they both plugged their computers in and both replaced the crash sensor in the door, despite my saying I thought it was the connector.

Fed up, and also as the MOT rules have changed (from 1/1/2012, red warning light displayed = MOT failure), I set to on a hot day (rare event these days) so that the cables would be nice and soft, and managed to get to the connector (with great difficulty), separate it completely, spray contacts with "Servisol switch cleaning lubricant", reassembled, and the light has not been on since (2 weeks).

So many thanks to those that contributed to this thread 3 years ago.

Cheers,

Rob
 2005 TDV6 base model 7-seater manual  
Post #9401469th Jun 2012 11:06 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Rob

Cheers for posting up your experience and well done Thumbs Up

Your experience with the independents does not surprise me. Diagnostic equipment is no substitute for the human brain, logical thinking and deductive reasoning. Although i guess with the time allowed and no past experience with the vehicle it is understandable to some degree. They could and should however have done a bit more pre and post testing IMHO

Strangely enough, after i did my Infotainment upgrade and replaced my Door Looms along with my Main Loom, with one i had repaired, including replacing many of the SRS wires from the ECU's connector, i had an SRS fault.

As i have diagnostic equipment, I read the SRS's fault codes and got "Drivers Door Crash sensor open circuit (Intermittent),"

As the SRS system only knows that the Crash sensor in the door disappears sometimes. That is what it would report, but the cause of that can be several things, only one of which is a faulty Crash sensor.

In my case that had been fine before and had not been changed, although it's connector and door loom had been, as well as the Main Loom so the fault could have been the connection on the SRS ECU, the connection on the Crash sensor, the Door to body connector or indeed a faulty wire on either the main or door loom.

Noting the fault was intermittent, a bit of wiggle testing was the first thing to try. And the first connection i checked was of course the most accessible. So i opened the door, cleared the faults out, waited a little while, and then being careful to not move the door at all, i gave the door connection a bit of a poke and a prod. Bingo, the fault appeared the moment i touched it. A few repeats and i knew where the problem was.

So i pulled my drivers door to body connector apart again and also sprayed it with the same stuff, and plugged it back in. I then repeated my test and of course it was now fine.

I have recently done a similar upgrade on my FFRR and the door connectors on this are much easier to deal with. Thumbs Up

Post #9402229th Jun 2012 4:43 pm
Sparrowhawk

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi All,
I don't suppose someone could post a photo of where the door connector is? I've had the drivers side trim off and I'm blowed if I can see the for mentioned plug!

Post #122156321st Jan 2014 5:46 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nice pic, I have had a intermittent speaker connection in the drivers door since I brought the Disco 6 years ago, waggle the wires as said and it is fixed for a bit.

Next time the weather gets warm I'll have a go

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #122167521st Jan 2014 8:14 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cheers CG, best of luck Thumbs Up

Sparrowhawk

This connector is not really in a location that is easy to photograph.

to quote garryc
Quote:
Pull off the side panel or kick plate, it only clips in, and if you look through a hole in the body work you will find it.

really sums it up fairly well.

If you look at my first picture, the flanged rubber boot on the RHS of the picture is part of the flexible tube that goes between the door and the Vehicle and covers the rear of the half of the connector that is mounted / attached to the outer skin of the A piller. So you simply need to look at the same location through the access hole provided on the inside skin of the A piller to find the inner removable part of the connector.

Bear in mind that you will really only see the back cover of the connector which is vertical.

The trick is then to find the flaps on each side of the Connectors main body, bend / flex them out away from the connector body a little, not so much as to break them, but enough to free their locking pegs from the holes shown in my second picture and rotate them both upwards at the same time, which should result in the connector body coming towards you. This might be assisted by a little pulling on the connector body at the same time the ears are rotated.

It looks tricky but once you know, it is fairly straight forward.

Once disconnected you can then pull the removable body side part of this connector out of the hole in the A piller a little way and rotate it 180 degrees so you can see and inspect the pins for corrosion etc.

In my case i was disconnecting this connector because i was replacing the vehicles Main Loom, however as i was also replacing the Door Looms i also then had to free the half of this connector that was mounted / attached to the outer skin of the A piller and this was much trickier.

So unless you really have to take this half of the connector out, i would advise leaving it in place.

If you want to spray switch cleaner on it, EG servisol, use the thin straw supplied with the Can Thumbs Up

Post #122211522nd Jan 2014 4:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >