Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

dolphins..there or not..inverness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
dolphins..there or not..inverness

we are off to bonny Scotland next week...going to inverness...what are the chances of seeing dolphins up close at the lighthouse point..

Post #13526955th Oct 2014 1:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Garagegmx

Coming all the way from Plymouth to see a few Dolphins? Shocked

I presume you mean your going to Channory Point at Fortrose? Anyway, you'll definitely see them there.

Dolphins can be seen at anytime, but the best time to see them is probably on a rising tide. From around 1 hour after low tide, the tide turns and dolphins start to chase fish in. Youll often be incredibly close and only a matter of metres from them as they feed in the channel.

The main viewing area is on shingle beach behind the lighthouse which can be accessed by walking along the beach or the path near the entrance to the car park.

To get there, head through Fortrose on the Black Isle. Just after the police station, which is on your right, turn right and you’ll travel through Fortrose and Rosemarkie Golf Course. You’ll arrive at small and car park beside the old lighthouse.

Want to see some Seals? Low tide at Fowlis on the A9 just over the Cromarty Bridge. Make nice purses. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Garagegmx on 5th Oct 2014 8:26 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13527225th Oct 2014 8:17 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

WOW this forum is better than GOOGLE Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #13527255th Oct 2014 8:25 am
Garagegmx

Here a link to the tide tables.

http://www.tides4fishing.com/uk/scotland/fortrose

Post #13527275th Oct 2014 8:36 am
Garagegmx

And a couple of photos taken from the shore. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #13528155th Oct 2014 1:31 pm
nestu

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I hope you enjoy your visit to Scotland Galwaygreen and have to say fabulous photos Garagegmx Thumbs Up

Post #13528975th Oct 2014 5:10 pm
galwaygreen

well..........thank you for that garagegmx

we leave Tuesday for Gloucester...Wednesday to hexham for two nites to have a look at kielder...the weekend on the isle of bute...
Monday week to fort William...the clan Macduff...

THEN THE DILEMA

we think three nites up north will be enough,...given we have to start heading back..,but where is it best to stay...inverness,,aviemore or breamar...any thoughts please

Post #13529925th Oct 2014 8:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrH

United Kingdom 

We love this place...

http://www.kerrow-house.co.uk

Very friendly owners in the beautiful Glen Affric, just down the lane from Tomich where the Golden Retriever dog breed stems from. If you like fishing, walking or just enjoying great screnary you'll love this area.

Post #13530125th Oct 2014 8:46 pm
Tambo

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

galwaygreen wrote:

THEN THE DILEMA

we think three nites up north will be enough,...given we have to start heading back..,but where is it best to stay...inverness,,aviemore or breamar...any thoughts please

Depends on what you you're looking for, are you travelling with kids?

Inverness, city with good hotels, restaurants and shops.

Aviemore, small town based around the outdoor sports enthusiasts. We're off there next week staying at the Hilton Coylumbridge (great for kids).

Braemar, more village sized, ok for one night to break up a journey.

Thumbs Up

Post #13530235th Oct 2014 9:05 pm
Pelyma

England 

MrH wrote:
We love this place...

http://www.kerrow-house.co.uk

Very friendly owners in the beautiful Glen Affric, just down the lane from Tomich where the Golden Retriever dog breed stems from. If you like fishing, walking or just enjoying great screnary you'll love this area.

What bait do I need to catch one of those Dolphins? Whistle

Glen Affric is lovely, went there on my honeymoon, saw an otter caught trout but no salmon.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #13530565th Oct 2014 9:58 pm
Garagegmx

Where to stay - Depends on your budget.

Clan Macduff on Achintore Road at Fort Willie? Shocked it's a crumbley tours favourite on the Golden Mile. Make sure they change the incontinence sheets. Only kidding, it's fine.

Given an option, I'd stay the other side of the Loch at the Inn at Ardgour, but only because I know the owner, ask for Roger, and its a great place to stay. http://www.ardgour.biz Also like the Strontian Hotel, lovely setting. www.thestrontianhotel.co.uk I lived there. Used to get drunk and walk home. It was novel if I forgot my torch as there are street lights. Cue the ditch and the sheep wander round everywhere. It's not handy falling over and looking up with all those green eyes starring at you. I digress.

Fort Williams problem is its crammed onto a hillside.

Do you have an itinery or want some pointers of where to visit and where not to? Whistle

As for where to stop up north, Braemar is okay, but dead. Aviemore fine, but full of visitors. You know those wanna be Chris Boddingtons that wander round in North Face fleeces pretending they have walked up Everest. Glen Affric, fine, but out of the way. SWMBOs grand parents were from there, says it all. Rolling Eyes

I'd probably opt for Inverness. Well, maybe not Inverness itself. Town can be quite busy even at this time of year. This is a very good B&B, a bit North, but only by 12 miles, again a friend of mine. http://www.culbokie.net Just ask for Jane.

Post #13530745th Oct 2014 11:29 pm
galwaygreen

we are happy with clan Macduff as stayed before several times...and they have plenty parking .know the ardgour across the ferry...we have been that way before out to catch the ferry to mull years ago...many miles of open country....think it was about 25 single track all the way out to lochaline...
think it will be fort William to inverness via fort agustus....tempted to premier inn east on the m9 just to make it simple....and roughly between the dolphins and aviemore...must say from trying to book rooms ..it appears very busy up there just now..surprized how expensive some hotels are

Post #13532906th Oct 2014 2:48 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The tourist season does seem to be longer than most this year.
We have plenty of accommodation if you wanted to stay closer to Skye but that may be off-route for you?

Hope the weather is a bit more settled. It was exciting, in a bad way, driving to Inverness airport at 4am today.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #13533496th Oct 2014 4:40 pm
davess1402

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

as mentioned Braemar at this time of year, not a lot on. Aviemore, Pitlochry all around that area good, Fort William not so bad shouldn't be any problems with midges now though, remember to take a good set of waterproofs if deciding to go walking along with decent waterproof boots..

Enjoy !
 Growing up is optional, growing old is mandatory !
08 Discovery 3
GSX1402 

Post #13534096th Oct 2014 7:13 pm
Garagegmx

The Premier Inn, Inverness? Take the A9 to Stoneyfield RO. Take the A96 Nairn road, small bit of dual carriageway to the next RO, do a 360 returning back towards Stoneyfield and you'll see a sign on the left for Howdens Garden Centre. Take that road and the Premier Inn is just there. Pretty quiet and plenty of parking places.

Tescos, Pizza place to eat within walking distance at the Retail Park. Also a Kentuky Fried Chicken drive in going into town along Millburn Road.

Aviemore is only half an hour away. Fortrose about the same.

Don't know what sort of prices people pay. I do know there is all year round demand for accomodation. You could rent out a rabbit hutch at times.

Post #13535596th Oct 2014 11:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >