Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

DIY Garages
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
DIY Garages

I needed to change my rear diff as it had been getting worse and worse, I managed to get a brand new LR rear diff from John Craddocks at a crazy cheap price (V8 parts they needed to shift) but the local indie wanted £400 to fit it. Even though this was still a significant a saving on the expected LR dealer price I still hoped for better savings.

The weather was getting worse and although it would be possible but really difficult to change the diff on my front drive it occured to me that some years ago Halfords used to run DIY garages where you do the work in thier premises. Googling DIY Garages I came up with new companies, one in north London, one Bristol and Scotland and one in Oxfordshire.
I initially looked at the company in London but thier web site only suggested that they had plain four post ramps which isn't the easiest for this work, so I went to "This Is Your Garage" near Abingdon, they have a number of two post lifts rated at 4T, a couple of four post lifts and all the tools you could wish for!

This place is amazing not only do they have normal tools available but they also have a four wheel alaignment system available where they will make the measurement but you make the changes, they have parts cleaners, all the tools I bought just for this work they already hade but better ones.

My work took longer than expected but would not have been possible at all without the assistance of the staff who were eager to ensure that I was successful in acheiving my task. Even better was the Diner up stairs would deliver drinks and food on request so I did not need to stop.

Although they only have an hourly rate they will make deals on extra long rental periods with storage etc. which are really attractive.

The end result I have a new quiet and smooth running D3 at a third of the price of a dealer fit item!

I can definitely recomend this company which is run by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts, and there could be something interesting being worked on in there to boot.
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #173231411th Nov 2016 11:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >