Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Discovery XS Commercial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Discovery XS Commercial

Whistle Hello All. I am new, so please bear with me.
I am not yet a Land rover owner
I have been driving 4x4’s for the last 17 years, at present I drive a Mitsubishi Shogun 2005 lwb 3.2 commercial with auto box.
Commercial is the problem here. I live in Scotland & I am a heating engineer, so with the bad potholed roads & the van with full load of tools & equipment for 24 hours a day 365 days a year, I need a van that is dependable & indestructible.
I recently received news that the Discovery XS Commercial was to be released, so where better to get some advice than true owner’s of the Discovery.
The only maintenance that my vehicles receive is services required for warranty. I need a vehicle that just keeps on working with minimal maintained & an unforgiving driver. When my vehicles don’t work, I don’t ether which costs me a lot of money & angry customers.
Any true opinions would be Very welcome
Thanks Guys.

Post #14108520th Mar 2007 9:41 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Well, despite the fact I enjoy my D3 it certainly isn't dependable and indestuctible. I would be loath to recommend it as a working van unless you live next door to a dealership. These comments will no doubt attract flak from those who have never had a day's or week's or more of warranty work but they are complicated, fragile beasties.

BCP

Post #14109720th Mar 2007 10:23 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I've been driving a D3 SE commercial for over a year Shocked

Never had a days bother, but it is a directors vat/tax-dodge not a Transit alternative. If you want to abuse it with pipes and pumps, and want to enjoy 100% boring reliability, I wouldn't go past what you have already.

However, when I pass you in my D3 SE, you will still wish you had one.......... Whistle

Post #14110320th Mar 2007 10:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I opted out of my company car and thought i would treat myself.

I looked long and hard at the disco and was unsure at first as it seemed to be plagued with faults.
However after studying this forum for a few months i came to the conclusion that they were worth the gamble.

I use my car for work and carry about 1/2 tonne of tools.The thought of breaking down and me having to stump up for a hire car didn't impress me .Part of the condition i got an allowance was i had to have a vehicle ready for work use.

I havent looked back ...in 6 months since i got it (and 4 months since i started using it for work) its been perfect.Great ride , easily holds my tools and more and not that bad on fuel either.Im on 13000 miles now and its been faultless mechanically.I did have an issue with my rear screen , but that was changed under warranty ..at my convience.

I know im proberly gonna loose out with mileage and depreciation ..but i can honestly say its fantastic and well worth it.

I can drive 200 miles to work ..plough through a building site..do my job ..and get back in a car that drives fantastic.

Iv even been away offroading...and you can't do that in a lot of cars ..

Take a chance ..i dont think you will regret it ...and bearing in mind they are now nearly 3 years old ..most of the problems have been sorted out ..

How many posts have you read were people praise there vehicle?...its human nature to only talk about the bad points.

Go for it Very Happy
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #14147321st Mar 2007 9:37 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

wiggs wrote:
How many posts have you read were people praise there vehicle?...its human nature to only talk about the bad points.

My D3 is absolutely fantastic. It is by far the best vehicle that I ever owned. The D3 is my commute, my leisure time transport and my holiday vehicle. If the camping weather got too bad we could kip in the car.

The boot is so massive with the seats down it saved me hiring a van when I emptied my storage unit. It will tow anything easily. Everybody that does not have one is envious of you.

Depreciation...who cares, you may as well enjoy life while you are able. No situation on or off road can defeat it (apart from really tight parking spaces of course Embarassed )

My wife hates low down cars now, our old freelander feels like a mini
My dog adores it too, it refuses to use other vehicles quite vocally now.

If a massive road tax increase does ever affect me (lucky 06 Mar 06) as is likely eventually, I will drive it even more to get my moneys worth.

There I did it!
God I feel good!
YEEEEEHAARRR!!!!!!!!
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #14148421st Mar 2007 10:01 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Do a search on warranty issues and you'll find that the earlier models did have a few problems, but this is on the whole, now resolved.
Mine is 7 months old, 14k on the clock, 2 warranty issues - hazard warning switch & brake squeal, all fixed under warranty, but nothing that stopped me from driving 200 miles to work. Very Happy

It's all good and you won't regret it.

Post #14148821st Mar 2007 10:12 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Mine is a work horse check my galleries. Close to 900000 miles now. Had problems and they have been fixed. Whilst the car was being fixed I was given another large LR product to carry on my business.

End result= Yes they sometimes breakdown L R fix them so not my problem Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #14149121st Mar 2007 10:17 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

AndrewS wrote:
Mine is a work horse check my galleries. Close to 900000 miles now. Had problems and they have been fixed. Whilst the car was being fixed I was given another large LR product to carry on my business.

End result= Yes they sometimes breakdown L R fix them so not my problem Thumbs Up

Blimey Andrew, knew you did some miles, but really....! Smile
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #14150421st Mar 2007 10:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up Well Gents! What can I say?
The only problem now is the Depreciation on my Mitsubishi Shogun, AND THE 8 TO 12 WEEK WAIT FOR THE d3 Commercial
Thank for all your impute and honesty.
Wiggs. – That is some setup you got there, and congrats on your gallery. You certinly enjoy your 4x4. I take it, looking at your gallery that you are a mechanic?.
Looking at all your galleries you all seem to make great use of your vehicles & have a lot of fun.
I may have to stop working weekends & play with my new toy.
Wiggs could you tell me how you get on with the tailgate & tools, is it easer or more trouble than the swing door.
Thanks again.

Post #14151321st Mar 2007 10:45 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

RMB wrote:

Wiggs. – That is some setup you got there, and congrats on your gallery. You certinly enjoy your 4x4. I take it, looking at your gallery that you are a mechanic?.

Thanks ....im a fire pump engineer ...basically diesel engines / electric motors and pumps ..oh an some electrics thrown in aswell.

RMB wrote:
Wiggs could you tell me how you get on with the tailgate & tools, is it easer or more trouble than the swing door.
Thanks again.

Very dubious about the tailgate at first ..i thought it was not going to work out for me.

I even made myself a sliding loadspace floor when i first got it.But after looking how much space it wasted i soon removed it.

All i have done is put the stuff i use less at the back.The stuff i use most is at the front ,and to be honest i dont have to open the bottom tailgate very often.
And if you do need something out the back of the boot ,the tailgate is more than man enough to kneel on to reach in .You can also use it as a work bench and some were to sit and put your boots on Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #14156022nd Mar 2007 1:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >