DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Discovery and cold temperatures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Riccardo

Portugal 
Discovery and cold temperatures

No space left in the garage so the Disco has to stay out
I am not using it a lot during the week (actually not at all)

Last Friday after a week off it took me a while to turn it on
Had to try 3 times with the ignition on for a few seconds before the car could actually start. Had the GPS screen on and off and a lot of warning showing up in the LCD screen

Use it for about 30 miles

Restarted the car on Saturday and again it took me a while with the key in to start (a few seconds and again GPS screen on and off and warning messages). The car was ok later in the day but this morning same story

So now what should I do? Is there anything I can do to ensure that after a few days the car will not start? Is it normal?
Do I need tzo try to start the car on a regular basis and if yes for how long do I have to drive it

If the car does not start immediately what is the best thing to do?
Ignition on continously or try quickly and wait if it does not start? What is worst for the battery?

Thanks

Post #72228828th Nov 2010 3:47 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Hi,

What warning messages are you getting ?

I'm assuming it is a diesel, and your battery is in good shape, you are leaving the ignition on until the engine heater plug light goes out BEFORE atempting to crank the engine !!!

If so, and it is still bad at starting, it is possible that you have one (or more) heater plugs failed, it can happen, and you wouldn't really notice in warmer weather.
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #72229028th Nov 2010 3:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Riccardo

Portugal 

need to check the messages, I remember something about traction/trasmission but it was on just for a short period of time

I have a diesel and as far as I know the battery is ok (no problems so far but it is an end of 2006 and I got it 1 year ago

Post #72230028th Nov 2010 4:28 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Riccardo,

Hope you are well mate!

If it's a HDC warning when you switch on,I think you'll find you need a new battery Big Cry Also when it does start is it rough idling for a while? I had this and yesterday went and bought a new battery, wow what a difference it's made!!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Darrell

Ps.mines a 05 and was on it's original battery, so it'd done well.[/b]

Post #72232728th Nov 2010 5:14 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

My original battery was changed when I shortly after I bought it and was 3 years old. The temperature when down and then I got the HDC etc messages.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #72235328th Nov 2010 5:49 pm
Riccardo

Portugal 

Hi Darrell,
I will try again and check what is coming out!!!!

I am just scared now everytime I have to use it.

I already had problems with the Smart that I do not use and that is now constantly connected with the charger (the one which goes on and off)

Post #72240128th Nov 2010 7:17 pm
BodgeP01

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mine has been running rough after startup on the recent cold mornings. The amber ignition heater light takes longer in the cold weather to turn off which makes sense. But I get HDC and special programs off warning messages for a few seconds and the the car would run rough for a further 30 seconds or so with lots of black smoke coming from the exhaust. Then it's fine.

So after leaving the car parked up for 3-4 hours whilst we went shopping today I thought I would turn the ignition on and off thinking the ignition heater would of had a few goes at warming up and it would start normally.

The good news is it did start fine without any drama the bad news is on the third turn of the ignition key the airbag warning light came on and now stays on all the time???? wtf!! Big Cry

The car is going in for its service at the end of the week so I'm hoping its nothing major & I have no idea if the two things are linked???

Post #72241628th Nov 2010 7:41 pm
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Poor starts in cold weather = failing battery. I noticed this last year, but stuck with the original battery through summer, however it is really struggling this winter, so I will give it a good overnight charge on my charger (whilst battery is in position and still connected) if still no improvments then it will be a new battery. Another peculiarity with mine in the cold is the delay in the instrument/ dashboard lighting coming on when dark. Usually cured by a quick wiggle of the dimmer switch. Quite common I believe.

Post #72259929th Nov 2010 12:39 am
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

in the cold I charge the battery every weekend.

also have a danhag GSM unit to control the FBH which gets a scheduled wakeup call from my android phone. Nice warm engine every morning, defrosts quickly. Just need the danhag IPCU unit to control the blowers. Oh and 2 batteries is a good idea incase one goes flat with the FBH/blowers being on too much
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #72262429th Nov 2010 5:02 am
thomash

if you got the battery a year ago it should be fine, so it might as well be the alternator on its way out and not recharging the battery enough.
regards,
Thomas

Post #72280629th Nov 2010 2:54 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

dick dastardly wrote:
in the cold I charge the battery every weekend.

Do you leave the battery connected to the vehicle whilst charging? The guy at the garage told me it was okay to do this when he checked my battery a few weeks ago when I thought it was dodgy (turned out to be okay, just needed charging).

Post #72281629th Nov 2010 3:07 pm
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

In the hand book it says DO NOT charge without disconnecting it .
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #72282629th Nov 2010 3:27 pm
nismo

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Shocked charging battery overnight while attached everyone to there own but my wifes sister did that and burnt the house double garage second car to the ground and just escaped think the hundread quid for the new battery is the way to go tbh Thumbs Up

Post #72285429th Nov 2010 4:07 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BodgeP01 wrote:

The good news is it did start fine without any drama the bad news is on the third turn of the ignition key the airbag warning light came on and now stays on all the time???? wtf!! Big Cry

Very Common with a low battery, i've had this and was told it just a lost communication between modules on start up, and as it a safety module the light stays on until the error is cleared via diagnostics. The dealer kindly asked for £180 for turning the light off, charging the battery and cleaning the battery, earth and fuse terminals to try and make sure it didn't happen again.

No problems since.

Lee

Post #72291529th Nov 2010 6:20 pm
BodgeP01

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I would agree with the low voltage as diagnostics except my battery is 4 months old and my alternator got replaced 4 weeks ago by the stealers so it should be fully juiced up, That said I noticed half of my SATNAV screen was dark as well so perhaps despite this there is still a power issue? It was fine on the way home from work.

I got kwikfit to supply a new battery so I will check which one they fitted to make sure it can handle the power demands of the Disco.

Also I spoke to an independent Land Rover garage and he thinks my airbag light could have been triggered by a voltage spike by turning the ignition on and off and he should be able to reset it, I hope so, after reading on this forum I read it could be the clockspring,

Post #72308529th Nov 2010 11:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >