Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Discovery 4 Throttle Fault - Help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CBH

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Discovery 4 Throttle Fault - Help!

I recently bought a 2011 Discovery 4 from Stratstone Cardiff under the 'Land Rover approved scheme'. It has so far not been a good experience (dead battery after a week, knackered exhaust after two weeks, satnav/AV system black-screening for days at a time among other issues). I will keep my views on Stratstone for another forum, but suffice it to say I would never purchase a car from them again. Customer service is not their strong suit.

However, the major issue I have had is a 'phantom' throttle fault. Harwoods have had a crack at it and could not diagnose it and Stratstone have now had the car for a full week and tell me that "they can't fix what they can't find" and have basically said that its my problem.

I wonder if anyone else has had the following fault, or has any suggestions. The fault manifests itself as follows:

Every few hundred miles or so when traveling at a steady speed the car will suddenly begin to lurch violently with the throttle pulsing on, off, on, off, on, off. As if I was repeatedly and very rapidly stamping my foot onto and then off the accelerator pedal. This usually continues for about 5 to 10 minutes before everything returns to normal. It first occurred when I was doing 70mph on the M25 and it is quite a scary experience. It has also occurred at slower speeds. Over a 2 month period it has happened about 6 times in total.

When the fault is occurring, if I put my foot to the floor and accelerate, the car will accelerate smoothly without any problem, but as soon as I start to maintain a steady speed the 'bunny-hopping' will start-up again. Inversely, if I take my foot off the accelerator and press the brake, the cars motion smooths out straight away.

The fault first occurred when I had cruise control on, but has since been when I have my foot on the throttle, maintaining a uniform speed. The car has always had more than half a tank of fuel when the fault happens.

No warning lights have appeared at any stage and both Harwoods and Stratstone tell me that nothing shows up when they plug the car into their 'machines'.

Given the way the fault manifests itself it doesn't sound to me like a fuel issue. My best guess is a glitch with the electronic throttle...

Has anyone else had this issue? Or does anyone have any suggestions, either with what might be wrong with the car or how to deal with Stratstone who have refused to either investigate further or take the car back.

Thanks in advance

Post #16049725th Feb 2016 9:51 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome CBH.

How recently did you buy the car?

You have a 30 days window in which to reject it. If you do reject it you must stop using it immediately.

If you bought more than 30 days ago, then you're entitled to ask for a repair or replacement free of charge.

I suggest getting evidence from an in-car camera running whenever the car is driven.

It should show the instruments, and the pedals to prove it's not you "messing about".

Keep us posted & good luck.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #16049765th Feb 2016 10:00 am
CBH

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for your reply NJSS

The first batch of issues occurred within the 30 day window (battery, exhaust, AV) but unfortunately the throttle fault didn't make itself known until after this.

I will try and gather video evidence of the fault as you suggest.

Stratstone were not able to get the fault to recur when they were driving it, however they said "even if our technician had experienced it himself, there is still nothing we would be able to do because the fault doesn't show up on the diagnostics"

...which suggests that even with evidence they are still going to refuse to do anything.

Post #16049825th Feb 2016 10:07 am
al cope

England 

which to be fair, even if they saw the problem, theres a difference between that and the cause of the problem. What you would hope (he says Rolling Eyes ) is that they'd go looking for the issue, but the one thing they wont do is throw parts at it in the hope it fixes it, as they can only replace what LR warrenty tell them to replace, otherwise the dealer doesnt get re-imbursed for that cost.

Intermittent faults are always a pain to resolve

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #16050525th Feb 2016 12:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

I would agree with Al, if they cannot get it to happen , they cannot be expected to fix it. If they do get it to do it that is a starting point and proves that you as a customer are genuine, however if it does not show up as a recorded electronic fault they are fighting a loosing battle.
Sorry but you need a hard fault.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #16050745th Feb 2016 1:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I had the same thing when on cruise control and im sure a few others on the forum have too. try a search, maybe for "surging" or similar and see what turns up. Mine fixed itself so I cant help much. IIRC it happened at speeds +70mph.

Post #16051215th Feb 2016 2:41 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

My MY11 does this from time to time on cruise control, never as violently as your experience but very noticeable, if I cancel the cruise and reset it goes away.

I haven't raised it with my dealer under the warranty as I can't replicate under test conditions so share your frustration. If mine was as bad as yours I would really not be happy, there must be a simple underlying issue, hopefully someone will be along soon who may know.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #16051255th Feb 2016 2:44 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic97621-15.html

There you go chaps, TSB number and everything!

Post #16051295th Feb 2016 2:50 pm
mz mini

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Stratstones I've been there before total nightmare we had a Range Rover from them owned it 119 days 56 days in workshop just got rid of it, the dealer principle said yes there was a problem Land Rover Assist said problem dealer principle said he would not put it right .I promised my wife I'd never buy from them again I, did an M5 guess what yep total nightmare !!!!
 Land Rover 90 - deceased Sad
Discovery 3 - deceased Sad
Discovery 4 2013
Mini Cooper S 1964 Mk1 - International Rally winner red & white
Mini Cooper s 1964 Mk1 - Road Rally champion green & white
Mini Cooper S 1971 Mk3 - original and unrestored Smile
Porsche 911 997
Porsche Boxster 3.4S
VW Polo 1.2
Citroen Xsara Picasso - shed/run around 

Post #16051325th Feb 2016 2:54 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Thanks, although that link/post suggests the issue is known to occur at 80mph, I tend to get the issue at lower speeds, around 30 or 40 so not sure it's the same thing but will ask the dealer next time I am in Thumbs Up
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #16051335th Feb 2016 2:55 pm
Mr.Pastry

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Although I cannot offer any constructive advice with regards to the faults with your car, I too have experienced poor customer service from Stratstone, Cardiff.
I have a bargepole in my garage & wouldn't touch them with it.
 Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 4H 2018.
Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 4H 2015 - gone.
Discovery 4 HSE - gone.
Discovery 3 S - gone.
Discovery 3 - gone.
Discovery 1 - gone.
Defender 90 300TDI - gone.
Defender 90 200TDI - gone.
Landrover 90 19J - gone.
Argocat 8x8 - gone.
Argocat 6x6 - gone
RR/LR V8 Hybrid 100" - gone.
Rangerover Classic 3.5 - gone.
Series III 2.25- gone.
Series IIa 3.0V6- gone.
Series I - 80" gone. 

Post #16051525th Feb 2016 3:09 pm
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

This is a long shot but I'm going to ask what seems like a silly question anyway. How do you rest your foot in the accelerator? I come from an aviation background and there is a phenomenon called "Pilot Induced Ocillation" (PIO for short). In a car it would translate to Driver Induced Oscillation.

If, for example, one was to put your foot on the accerator without putting your heel on the floor and you went over a bump, your leg might involuntarily move back which would reduce accelerator pressure. The car would slow down but your leg would want to continue forward at the previous speed which would cause an increase in accelerator pressure. As the car accelerates, the leg will move backwards therefore reducing accelerator pressure again. Depending on the weight of your leg and the force required to move the accelerator, you can end up with a diverging phugoid type cycle developing. The only way to stop it is to take your foot off the accelerator or push it fully down.

I'm guessing this is unlikely as you say that the problem lasts for several minutes and it would require a very light accelerator but it could be possible. It might be worth checking another vehicle and comparing the pressure required to operate the pedal. I would also be suggesting to the garage that they change the accelerator pedal as it could be an electrical fault inside the pedal electrics.

Post #16052245th Feb 2016 4:15 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

A poorly throttle pedal is really easy to diagnose so unlikely to be the root cause. Shame you are not closer to me as I like a challenge.

Good luck with the dealer.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #16052635th Feb 2016 4:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >