Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Discovery 4 battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
leemaxxd

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Discovery 4 battery

My battery on my disco 4 is on its last legs had to boost start it today Its a 60 plate with original battery do i need to get the exact sameone as in ah etc and is it straight forward swap or will it need a computer on it after fitting thanks

Post #210688117th Dec 2019 10:21 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You need to reset the BMS with an IID or similar after replacing.

Post #210688417th Dec 2019 10:36 pm
leemaxxd

Typical another trip to the garage then
What happens ifits not reset

Post #210688717th Dec 2019 10:47 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

In my experience, absolutely nothing. Swapped from the LR battery to one from Halfords, tried to find someone to do a reset for me but then forgot all about it. This was 2 years ago, it has charged fine since, even as part as a split charge system.

You need exact or better performance, and it's a 1 minute swap if you've got some spanners. I just got mine from Halfords for ease, they were in stock, well priced, ready charged and came with a 2 year guarantee.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #210694218th Dec 2019 8:05 am
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If you use code FROSTY80 on Euro Car Parts you get 45% off batteries at the moment.
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #210694318th Dec 2019 8:12 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If the original battery is a wet cell and you replace it with a new fully charged wet cell you can get away with doing nothing, but if you replace with a AGM battery which IMHO is far superior the CCF (software upgrade) is necessary but does not have to be immediately.
If the original is an AMG and you fit a new fully charged AMG no software upgrade is necessary, although a check of the CCF to see it is set to AMG would not do any harm.
Order today from Tayna Batteries and you will get it tomorrow.
Halfords not the cheapest but are very good with their no quibble warranty, just keep the receipt safe.
Europarts original prices are double anywhere else Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #210694718th Dec 2019 8:31 am
leemaxxd

Thanks for the advice yes the current battery is the original landrover battery water filled i will just replace it with another water filled one for ease time to find one with the exact numbers on now đź‘Ť

Post #210695118th Dec 2019 8:39 am
James W

United Kingdom 

My original battery and its replacement are wet cell, the split charge odessey battery is AGM - I assume this is a 'bad thing' then? Neither have every had any problems, thankfully

Post #210697318th Dec 2019 9:45 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

After changing from wet cell to AGM about two years ago, even though I have an IID tool, I didn’t bother to change or update anything and it is still working fine.

Given I don’t currently have a licence, it is also being regularly left for between 4-6 weeks and still starts just fine (which does surprise me)!
 Andy

Post #210702818th Dec 2019 12:46 pm
M3DPO

This is why an AGM battery is superior, they accept a recharge much faster than a wet cell battery and hold it for longer, but the maximum voltage they can accept is 14.4 volts, a wet cell battery can accept 15.5v and higher. A D3 or D4 set to a wet cell battery in cold weather will charge at 15.5v for a short period after start up and then drop back to around 14.8v this is the problem, in cold weather the ambient temperature and short journeys helps to keep the battery cool, although the alternator does not reach these high voltages in summer, the charging voltage is nearer 14.8v but this is higher than an AGM can accept and a long journey will result in the battery overheating with a high risk of distortion and deterioration of the cells, high charging rates and heat ultimately shortens the batteries life.

Last edited by M3DPO on 18th Dec 2019 5:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #210709218th Dec 2019 5:27 pm
M3DPO

James W wrote:
My original battery and its replacement are wet cell, the split charge odessey battery is AGM - I assume this is a 'bad thing' then? Neither have every had any problems, thankfully

This all depends on what voltage the AMG battery is being charged at, a simple test with a Digital clamp meter will tell you Thumbs Up

Post #210709618th Dec 2019 5:34 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

I'll test with a meter out of interest but my T-Max split charge controller lets me know that it is at least 14.5v for a short period as you say, especially in cold weather and once I kill the heated screens off that (annoyingly) come on automatically.

My Odessey AGM can handle up to 15v charge max - in fact 14.7v is cited by them as being the optimal charge voltage for it in a deep cycle application so factoring in a bit of drop from the install cabling, it's probably bang on the limit. I'll check it with a meter at the battery itself out of interest Thumbs Up

Post #210712418th Dec 2019 7:14 pm
Weyboat

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I asked CTEK Support the question about running the CTEK RECOND program on AGM batteries, here is the answer...
HI!

Recond program is developed only for flooded batteries (including EFB), to remix the flooded acid inside.
The remixing/balancing is necessary to treat an already stratified battery, or to prevent severe stratification.
AGM or GEL batteries are not flooded, and therefore does not suffer from stratification. That means Recond will not help AGM or GEL.
Reconding an AGM battery does not harm the battery, but does not help either, so we cannot recommend recond program on AGM batteries either.
For GEL batteries, recond can be harmful, because using too high voltage can dry the gel inside the battery and weaken the battery instead of empowering it.
NOTE:
When you choose Recond program, you should note that Recond program always starts with a normal battery charging program. Then, after battery has reached fully charged, Recond treatment itself is implemented. Depending of charger model and battery size, Recond step lasts from ½ to 4 hours, on top of the charging time.
When charger turns to green light, the program is completed.

I will explain here more about the topic:
So, Recond is made for remixing flooded acid inside the battery– hence, stratified batteries.
What is stratification?
Stratification is when the acid inside the battery gets layered.
As long as the acid and the water of the electrolyte in the battery are well mixed, the battery works as it should. But if the acid and water separate into layers, the battery just cannot be charged anymore regarding the parts that are layered, not by the alternator, nor by a charger.
So, acid that gets layered inside a battery causes loss of capacity.
WHY does the batteries get stratified?
Stratification can happen if the alternator charging voltage is too low or the charging time is insufficient (due to short drives for instance, or a lot of parallel loads during drive). Or if a battery is deeply discharged and unused for a period. Different batteries suffer more or less of stratification, depending of the battery type and qualifications.
Why is stratification a problem?
A stratified battery cannot store voltage as well as a healthy battery, and behaves as a smaller battery than it is. When conventionally charged - by the charger or the alternator- only the parts that still are ok, will be charged. So, a battery seems to be fully charged – but can be emptied by one start attempt. Stratification also promotes corrosion on the upper half of the plates and sulphation problems at the bottom.
Why does recond help?
Recond causes a controlled gassing that remixes the acid and equalizes the acid balance and through that the battery capacity is reclaimed and battery efficiency is restored, partially or almost all of it, depending how severe the problem is.

Just one more thing: Do not mix Stratification with Sulphation problems! Sulphation affects all kind of lead/acid batteries AND every CTEK charging program starts with a desulphation step, so you do not have to worry about that!!

Hope this was helpful
Best regards,
CTEK SUPPORT TEAM
 Gone 2016 Landmark D4
Current 2015 HSE D4 - AKA - 'Gandalf the Grey' 

Post #210718818th Dec 2019 10:14 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Knowing that the "recond" mode isn't good for AGM batteries I'm surprised CTEK still allow you to select it during an AGM charge cycle.
Also, any electrolyte in a wet acid battery that is gassed off during the "recond" operation will eventually need to be replaced. That's easy if there are screwcaps on the top of the battery - you simply remove them when topping up with de-ionised or distilled water.
However this isn't possible with a sealed wet battery so I wouldn't use the "recond" option on that type of battery either.
In my caravan I used to have a best in class Banner Energy Bull leisure battery that was wet acid with screw tops and I had to regularly check the electrolyte level and top it up 3 or 4 times a year. I decided life was too short for this faffing around and replaced the Banner with an AGM battery when it expired.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #210784422nd Dec 2019 2:20 pm
limaluk

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
12v-12.3, low charging after battery replaced and BMS reset

Hi. I was looking for a lot yesterday about low (12v-12.3v) battery charge in my D4 right after replacing it. Of course, I did a BMS reset using the IID Gap tool. Charging (reading from the "cigarette lighter") was normal at the beginning 14.3V what surprised me, why do I need this reset?
However, after half an hour the charging dropped and the meter showed 12V- 12.3v !! This time I was surprised and scared. After a few hours of searching (some hints but no answer in disco3 forum) I found a good article about BMS, battery, and charging on Discovery 4. It says:

“After the BMS is resetted, the BMS performs a self-calibration. To do this, the battery is first charged with maximum charge voltage while the engine is running and then discharged to 75% charge. Discharging can take several days if only short distances are driven. During this time the alternator does not switch on! Only after that the BMS works normally again and charges the battery normally again.”

I hope that it will save the nerves of a few forum members.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948
Discovery 4 XS
Discovery 3 XS
Discovery 3 SE 

Post #223108819th May 2021 9:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >