DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Discovery 4 3l SDV6 Turbo failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Spiffingly

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Discovery 4 3l SDV6 Turbo failure

Evening all,

This is my first post but won't be my last, I currently own a D3 which is my daily, and recently bought my friends 64reg D4 with turbo failure to repair.

Story is this,

Primary Turbo failed at 135k miles, my friend then replaced this with a reconditioned unit which almost instantly after install failed again. It then sat for 3 years without anything been done.

I bought it off him, removed the body and then replaced with a low milage second hand unit for testing, this one also failed instantly, but this time I did more investigation and the was the remains of the original turbo shaft in the intake system(I should have know better to check but the turbo I took off was complete)

So after realising my stupidity, I stripped and cleaned the whole intake system, and now know it is clean, had the turbo reconditioned and refitted thinking this would cure them problem as the object damage was the issue.

But again this turbo failed after 20 minutes.

More investigation and inspected the oil pressure which is about 20-30 at idle and 50 ish at 3500 RPM.

I blew out all oil feed lines and return pipes, primed the new turbo, and turned over without starting. but again it's failed, anyone had any issues like this?

Post #217091231st Aug 2020 7:06 pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

That does sound like an oil feed issue. If you turn the engine over with the pipe disconnected do you get oil from the feed pipe?

Obviously don’t let it fire.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #21710491st Sep 2020 3:33 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

A remarkably similar event (albeit a Saab).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRjaOD5qf8k

Good luck Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #21710661st Sep 2020 5:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >