Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 Will Will Not Rev Over 1000 rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Stuart Page

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3
Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 Will Will Not Rev Over 1000 rpm

If you have come here from my newbie hello post thank-you.

Where do i start.

I have a 54 plate discovery 3 2.7 TDV6, which broke down on the mortorway last month (alternator failure). Being a reasonably confident home mechanic and have rebuilt several race car engines in the past i decided to to the works to the family car myself. I also decided that if i was going to replace the alternator i would go the whole way and replace both front belts and the rear belt (thanks Disco_Mikey great wright up).

Anyway changed rear belt first but broke a fuel line which i believe was the return to tank line. New item bought 18 quid.

Alternator went in well cam belt change went well new tensioner and both idle pullies changed. Engine was cranked over by hand six of seven turns and then checked again for any cam pully creep. I will note at this point i did not need to loosen the cam pullies during the cam belt change.

Front part of the engine went back togethor and all was well. Back to the fuel pipe i broke, in order to change it i had to remove the EGR throttal body which houses the butterfly and was simply disgusted with what i found in the housing! One hour later it was all sparkly clean and i then continued with changing fuel line. 10 mins later all fitted as a simple push fit connectors.

Every thing back togethor and battery installed and this is where i went a little wrong. Having owned several diesel vans in the past i just assumed the disco was a self bleeding fuel line system. I cranked the engine and nothing just kept turning over. Half hour later and searching on this forum i found out fuel line needed purging. I have subsequantly purged the system using the little bleed valve.

The car fired in to action albeit a little noisy until things all settled down. when i reversed the car off the drive and engaged drive i found the car had developed a big problem. THE CAR WILL NO LONGER REV OVER 1000RPM EVEN WITH PEDEL FLAT ON THE FLOOR. The car did not even have the power to get back up my drive i had to engage low range and creep it up the drive which took about 20mins.

What on earth has gone wrong. Have i broke anything when i took the EGR throttle body off. I have checked and double checked all electrical connections over and over and the cams were completly locked when i changed the cam belt.

Having not got a fault finder i can't even ask the car whats wrong and i do not know whether a ecu reset will work.

I hope you lot can help i'm at a loss.

Kind regards

Stuart

Post #9741626th Sep 2012 7:46 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think there is a sensor in the outlet of the air box for the air mass sensor, when I did my alternator and started the engine before i refitted the big pipe across the top of the rad mine would not rev either, is it possible that this is either not properly connected or got damaged in some way?
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #9741696th Sep 2012 7:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stuart Page

Hi beanie,

If you are refering to the black sensor connected to the front part of the engine next to the long air intake pipe attached to the air box yes its still secured and from what i can tell undisturbed.

Is it worth replacing just in case?

Post #9741786th Sep 2012 8:08 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

The what I think is a sensor looks like a small glass bulb like an LED just inside the air box outlet that the big pipe connects to, not sure of its purpose but it was as if the engine would not rev because this thing was in daylight?

I'm sure an expert will ne along shortly, there are loads of good and well knowledgeable members on here Thumbs Up

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Post #9741836th Sep 2012 8:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

EGR valves are dead. Blank them off and be done with them Thumbs Up

either that or you may have left something unplugged...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 6th Sep 2012 8:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9741866th Sep 2012 8:19 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

^^^

Here's one Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

PM me for details

Post #9741876th Sep 2012 8:20 pm
Stuart Page

Disco_Mikey,

I thought about them and have ordered blanking plates today just incase, but its been sitting on the drive and they were all working fine before the alternator went. Do they have that much effect on an engine? What on earth are they for but to create carbon deposits in areas you really do not want carbon deposits.

Post #9741916th Sep 2012 8:29 pm
Disco_Mikey

Have seen them loose throttle all together, didn't even have enough power to pull itself onto the ramp...

They are an emissions related part, but on the early models, you get away with blanking them with no ill effects Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #9741986th Sep 2012 8:34 pm
Stuart Page

Thanks Mikey,

If you have found they can cause a complete loss of power i will start with blanking them off and have another go, can i keep you posted?

In the mean time what if i was to unplug the EGR hoses from the butterfly housing would that have any effect therefore allowing the car to breath alittle better?

Reagrds

Stuart

Post #9742036th Sep 2012 8:43 pm
Disco_Mikey

Yea, no worries Thumbs Up

The lack of throttle comes from the engine sucking in whatever it can, and as the EGR system is closer, it draws in the waste exhaust gas before the fresh air, and pretty much strangles the engine...

You can temporarily blank the valves off with a couple of 2p pieces to confirm/eliminate the valves are at fault
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #9742046th Sep 2012 8:48 pm
reicre

United Kingdom 

Stuart Page wrote:
Thanks Mikey,

If you have found they can cause a complete loss of power i will start with blanking them off and have another go, can i keep you posted?

In the mean time what if i was to unplug the EGR hoses from the butterfly housing would that have any effect therefore allowing the car to breath alittle better?

Reagrds

Stuart

Hi mate im having the same problems that you described in this forum did you manage to find out what was wrong with it in the end ????

Post #214795421st May 2020 9:55 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Good morning reicre

Could you fill your profile in with details of your car, and give us some more information - D3/4 Manual/Auto..mileage, service history, have you read codes, if so with what result etc..?

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #214801722nd May 2020 7:44 am
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Did this ever get resolved?
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #21655373rd Aug 2020 11:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >