Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

disco3 won't crank or start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Globetrotter448 wrote:
GS, thanks for that info as it will come in handy at some time. I am a hoarder for information related to LR3. Am I correct in thinking that the resistors are only at the start and finish of each buss. So the 120 ohms measured means the fault has put the resistors in series.

Ur always so welcome

Indeed the 120 ohm resisters are at each end

For the medium it’s the passenger side fuse box then instrument panel

For the high it’s again instrument panel and ABS unit

Alas can’t remove the modules to find the fault as it will just break the system, spent months trying to slowly get my head round the system

Hopefully later on will be able to get some data so can then at least share it all to help others

Post #214858224th May 2020 5:51 am
Metsonline

Hs canbus

I have a hs canbus fault,cannot read ecm,tmmc and vdm others are readable but with canbus related faults was reading a thread which involved a member called gstuart and was wondering if he came to a conclusion,I have a 60 ohm reading on ms canbus but high speed is 120ohms,does anyone know the loop route from instrument cluster to abs which I believe is the Start and finish,looking to find out how to check this loop
Vehicle has immobiliser light flashing when ignition one,temp gauge reads hot with light on,various warning lamps,suspension,handbrake etc and will not crank,there seems to be a lot of people on this forum that have had very similar faults but from what I’ve seen of the build quality so far I’m not surprised ,any help would be very much appreciated

Post #214871724th May 2020 1:46 pm
Briscoe05

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Stuart, your knowledge is impressive. I am going to look at the disco shortly so will confirm readings. If I unplug the tcm and measure at the obd will I get an incorrect reading as it's no resistor fitted?

Only items with resistor fitted does that mean if unplugged wont start?

Cheers,
Nick

Post #214880024th May 2020 6:03 pm
Briscoe05

So I checked the grounds and I get 0 on the grounds which is good.

I get battery voltages pin 16-4 and 16-5

I get 2.7v 6 to ground
I get 0.875v 14 to ground.

As good as grounded this one.

Post #214881924th May 2020 7:28 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Trying to follow this. When you measure the HS Can bus you get 120 ohms. As the bus has 120 ohms on each end (both ends in parallel give you the 60 ohms) it indicates you have an open somewhere on the bus.
My first step would be to check each of the items GS shows in the diagram for connection. At each connector you could check the bus resistance back to the previous connector. If you have 120 ohms then that part of the bus is okay so plug it back in and move to the next connector. If all test okay, which should be impossible, then it may be one of the modules. I believe there is a way to by-pass modules, with a cable, for the resistance check so you can trace a faulty module.
Lets know how you go.

Post #214889925th May 2020 12:43 am
gstuart

Briscoe05 wrote:
Stuart, your knowledge is impressive. I am going to look at the disco shortly so will confirm readings. If I unplug the tcm and measure at the obd will I get an incorrect reading as it's no resistor fitted?

Only items with resistor fitted does that mean if unplugged wont start?

Cheers,
Nick

Hiya

I wouldn’t go that far, lol

Alas u can’t unplug the tcm otherwise the ohms readings will be wrong along with the system not being able to function

Have a look at the tcm and see what u find plse

Post #214890325th May 2020 2:27 am
gstuart

Briscoe05 wrote:

I get 2.7v 6 to ground

So the second readings u have ie, 0.875v means there’s a ground issue

Try using a jump lead from ur battery neg post to the the engine , there’s a lifting bracket on the RH side of the engine as u look at it

U can confirm it’s a good ground before hand by setting ur multimeter to ohms and going from the neg battery post to that clamp, that will confirm before u use a jump lead that’s it’s a good ground

Plse let us know how u get on with the tcm and earth lead , Thumbs Up

Last edited by gstuart on 25th May 2020 2:43 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #214890425th May 2020 2:32 am
gstuart

Globetrotter448 wrote:
Trying to follow this. When you measure the HS Can bus you get 120 ohms. As the bus has 120 ohms on each end (both ends in parallel give you the 60 ohms) it indicates you have an open somewhere on the bus.
My first step would be to check each of the items GS shows in the diagram for connection. At each connector you could check the bus resistance back to the previous connector. If you have 120 ohms then that part of the bus is okay so plug it back in and move to the next connector. If all test okay, which should be impossible, then it may be one of the modules. I believe there is a way to by-pass modules, with a cable, for the resistance check so you can trace a faulty module.
Lets know how you go.

This is how I’m also thinking , up youve sussed my cunning plan, lol

So my thinking is going back the other way from the abs module, the u codes stop at the ecm, next in line is tcm , so that’s why I’m thinking of having that checked to ensure it’s 100%

That test 14 to ground should give around 2.3 Vdc but showing a poor ground , so thinking of using a jump lead for now to go from the neg post to engine , just to see if there’s any difference

But does show a bad ground , maybe as also mentioned before the ground under the drivers side

Other thinking is, diagnostics won’t connect, would then using diagnostics unplugging a module one by one then allow, diagnostics to connect , as the faulty module is removed

Assume a 120ohms lead would have to be made up in removing modules , however I’m wondering if the VDC and grounds tested at each module I’m hoping will show the error

Also the TCM is a favourite for errors

At least the pin testing seems to be working, famous last words , lol

Post #214890525th May 2020 2:36 am
gstuart

Briscoe05 wrote:

I get 2.7v 6 to ground

————————————-

I’m just copying some data over next to ur results

Have been going through some wiring diagrams for the last few hours so plse ignore , as I’m just trying to see if another test will work , got to work ot out first in my head

————

The 120 ohms resisters are in the instrument panel and ABS module

Please try this

Pins 4 & 5 are grounds, check these are ok using ur multimeter , if after ensuring pin 16 gives u ur battery voltage , ie 12.6Vdc , go from

Pin 16-4
Then pins 16-5 , this will test ur grounds as u should read the battery 12.6 Vdc

Then with battery connected

Pin 16 is ur battery voltage , should be around 12.6vdc

With ur multimeter test

Pin 6 to ground , should have around 2.7 Vdc
Pin 14 to ground , should have around 2.3 Vdc

From what I’ve also read pin 6 and pin 14 should add up to 5 Vdc

If pins 6 or 14 are zero Volts means it’s grounded

If u get a low reading on pins 6 or 14 try removing ur instrument panel to access the wiring and wiggle the wires to see if the Vdc changes , if it does, try to start the disco

Click image to enlarge

Post #214890925th May 2020 4:36 am
gstuart

So I’ve finally found the connector for the ABS , is also the place where the other 120 ohms resisters is fitted inside the module

Apologises going off on a tangent , am wondering if after disconnecting the battery if u test between pins
14 and 35

In what ohms reading u get please , seeing it’s very easy to get to and can easily remove the back cover whilst the connector is still fitted to the module

So if u would be so kind to disconnect ur battery and set meter to ohms and see what readings u get on the above pins

Then take out battery and check the TCM module and carefully check the canbus twisted wires on the connector and after disconnecting the connector to see what the pins are like on the TCM module

If all ok please also do the same with the engine control module behind the box

Many thks

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #214891025th May 2020 4:43 am
gstuart

Now see the error will be in the hi speed canbus low, pin 14 , I’ll do some further investigation

Will also wait to see what results come back

Thks

Plse Ignore the following , it’s just some notes I’m taking down as ref

Tcm pin 3 , abs , pin 14 , ohms , continuity , canbus low in high circuit

c0506-14 - ABS

SJ276
Sj775

C1319 -3 TCM IN

C1854-1 TCM out

C0872-A3 ECM in

C0411 - B3 ECM out

Post #214891125th May 2020 4:49 am
gstuart

Re: Hs canbus

Metsonline wrote:
I have a hs canbus fault,cannot read ecm,tmmc and vdm others are readable but with canbus related faults was reading a thread which involved a member called gstuart and was wondering if he came to a conclusion,I have a 60 ohm reading on ms canbus but high speed is 120ohms,does anyone know the loop route from instrument cluster to abs which I believe is the Start and finish,looking to find out how to check this loop
Vehicle has immobiliser light flashing when ignition one,temp gauge reads hot with light on,various warning lamps,suspension,handbrake etc and will not crank,there seems to be a lot of people on this forum that have had very similar faults but from what I’ve seen of the build quality so far I’m not surprised ,any help would be very much appreciated

Hi

Apologises didn’t see ur post

Hope this isn’t being disrespectful in any way , would it be ok if u started a new thread please , just so the two don’t get mixed up

Many thks and can then post some wiring diagrams for u of the entire canbus

Post #214891225th May 2020 5:22 am
Briscoe05

gstuart wrote:
So I’ve finally found the connector for the ABS , is also the place where the other 120 ohms resisters is fitted inside the module

Apologises going off on a tangent , am wondering if after disconnecting the battery if u test between pins
14 and 35

In what ohms reading u get please , seeing it’s very easy to get to and can easily remove the back cover whilst the connector is still fitted to the module

So if u would be so kind to disconnect ur battery and set meter to ohms and see what readings u get on the above pins

Then take out battery and check the TCM module and carefully check the canbus twisted wires on the connector and after disconnecting the connector to see what the pins are like on the TCM module

If all ok please also do the same with the engine control module behind the box

Many thks

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have done the TCM and ECM pin checks, both are good and no damage or corrosion I will be sure to test the pin numbers for ohms and come back to you, thanks again for all the help its massively appreciated. Thumbs Up it's really wrecking my head.

Post #214893625th May 2020 9:20 am
gstuart

Many thks , so at least we know there ok

Also if u would be so kind to temporarily use a jump lead between the batteries negative post and engine lifting clamp , then seeing again if u still have the 120ohm reading , if it drops to 60ohms then see if it will start

Ur so welcome and alas hopefully helping in a constructive manner , lol

look forward to see what u find , including the ABS ohms Thumbs Up

Post #214895325th May 2020 10:58 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have drawn this up so that you can see the pin and connector for each module. It shows the daisy chain of the modules starting with the Instrument cluster and ending with the ABS Module. A clearer picture is in my gallery. Have removed link and posted new one further down. Embarassed

Last edited by Globetrotter448 on 25th May 2020 11:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #214896125th May 2020 11:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >