Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Disco3 diesel ran with engine oil well above top mark cooked
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Argybargy

Georgia 
Disco3 diesel ran with engine oil well above top mark cooked

while Over Seas my mate (ex mate) asked to borrow my disco 3 v6 diesel says he went a few miles and it blew heaps of smoke then overheated and he had trouble turning engine off. i just arrive back today to see that engine cover lining was in a million pieces, he explained some one said it looked like the car was burning its engine oil to turn it off don't restart and get a tow home which he says he did (???). i joined this site to search inter cooler or egr valve issues and timing chain

He then said that there should have been no issues as he FILLED the oil up. my mate hasn't a clue about cars at all and begs the term dipstick or other. i was horrified and checked the oil level as when i left the car was in perfect nick with freshly changed engine oil, filter, full tank etc, i have had 4 landies starting with my first brand new series II in 1976 2 1/4 liter @ $7,200 AUD , after paying exorbitant first service i bought workshop manual have never ever paid for anything again and never had warranty as own services etc have voided, i am miles in front till now

Oil was at least 2 inches above top mark and black as black can be, tail pipe full of soot, flat battery as well and after charging wont start. has any one had similar issue or know what the worst possible list of damage could be motor is turning over but nothing else

Post #19225155th Mar 2018 8:07 am
paulr5604

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I don't know what the damage will be but I would be taking it to a garage and getting them to invoice your ex mate for any repairs

Post #19225305th Mar 2018 9:16 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I would start by asking this mate what he actually did to "fill it up". Perhaps he put oil into the filler cap until he could see it - a bit like a radiator.

I would start by draining all the oil, leaving it to drain out for as long as possible, and measure what you got out compared to how much there should be in it. Also, drain the coolant to look for oil contamination. I suspect the running-on would by burning oil forced up past piston rings from crank case, and that could have had the engine running too fast - which would possible cause the overheat. However, oil is a fairly good coolant (and there was a lot of it) so a good chance nothing will have picked up. Take out the bell housing drain plug and look there for oil.

With over pressure in the crankcase there could be damage to various seals if it was really high. The crankcase breather should have vented some of that though, as would the dipstick (the one in the engine not the one behind the wheel). If there has been a lot of oil in the combustion chambers there could be hydraulic lock which easily knocks a hole in a piston crown, or bends a conecting rod. So I think you start with taking the heads off to examing what damage there might be inside. And then drop the sump to pop out the pistons.

Hopefully you will find all is well, or that any damage is easily dealt with. A classic case of a little knowlege being a dangerous thing.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #19225475th Mar 2018 10:33 am
mz mini

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

IIFC an over filled diesel engine can eat its own oil as such, it feeds the cylinder engine oil which then helps increase the engine speed and means it is not possible stop it as the oil is used a source of fuel ,
When we used to send our Ford Transits for an MOT I sure my mechanic used to have sign a disclaimer that if the engine when on a flat out smoke test decided to what they refer as hydraulics and runs away that the MOT station was not responsible
Thumbs Up
Diesel engines will run on a lot of fuels. ... A lot of diesels are turbocharged, and turbos are lubricated by oil. If a seal on a turbo fails, high pressure oil can be sent into the engine - this is where the runaway starts
 Land Rover 90 - deceased Sad
Discovery 3 - deceased Sad
Discovery 4 2013
Mini Cooper S 1964 Mk1 - International Rally winner red & white
Mini Cooper s 1964 Mk1 - Road Rally champion green & white
Mini Cooper S 1971 Mk3 - original and unrestored Smile
Porsche 911 997
Porsche Boxster 3.4S
VW Polo 1.2
Citroen Xsara Picasso - shed/run around 

Post #19227435th Mar 2018 6:41 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

probably the real indicator of it being salvageable or not is how did it stop ? if it's a manual and your ex-mate was quick enough to stall it, it should be fixable. if on the other hand it ran until it stopped all by itself, I suspect it's going to be a big job to fix it.

Post #19227755th Mar 2018 7:32 pm
Hocks172

England 

Note to self, Don't lend car to anyone!! Shocked

previous LR D3 HSE, RRS HST, RR Evoque Dynamic Lux.
Current D5 HSE Lux 

Post #19236097th Mar 2018 7:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think you have a lot of questions to ask.
how did he stop it?
how long did it take him to stop it?
How much oil did he put in and where?
Did it do this?

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/d4-diesel-r...D4+runaway

I once came across a couple whose car had over heated and they had filled it up with water.... into the oil cap. Brimmed it and then were surprised it wouldn’t start.

Post #19236577th Mar 2018 8:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >