Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Disco 4 2016 not serviced until 38k from new...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

There are 26 on autotrader, MY16, only two seats and the word commercial Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #201069518th Dec 2018 9:19 pm
Washwipe

England 

od85 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.

This would be the first LR I own. Its a commercial.

I'm going to the dealers tomorrow and if they can prove an oil service has been done during warranty work, a cast iron 2 year warranty, and increase it to 3 years (i will most likely finance it for 3 years) then i might still be interested.

Cheers

Ill let you know how it unfolds

If it’s an April 16 it only has four months LR warranty remaining, any extra the dealer will add, i.e. the LR two years warranty will be through Car Care, won’t cover known issues, the worst can happen and your 16k out of pocket.

Post #201070318th Dec 2018 9:49 pm
od85

United Kingdom 

Sure i know, i should have said not many about which 'seem' LOL a good deal. The one i'm looking at is 27+VAT, rear seats, plus heated everything, rear screens. All sorts. And for peace of mind i had been looking at buying used approved (just read the crankshaft thread...worried)

Post #201070418th Dec 2018 9:50 pm
od85

United Kingdom 

Washwipe wrote:
od85 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.

This would be the first LR I own. Its a commercial.

I'm going to the dealers tomorrow and if they can prove an oil service has been done during warranty work, a cast iron 2 year warranty, and increase it to 3 years (i will most likely finance it for 3 years) then i might still be interested.

Cheers

Ill let you know how it unfolds

If it’s an April 16 it only has four months LR warranty remaining, any extra the dealer will add, i.e. the LR two years warranty will be through Car Care, won’t cover known issues, the worst can happen and your 16k out of pocket.

Just wading my way through the crankshaft thread. So once the LR 3 year warranty is up it's an even worse scenario. I am interested to see if the car care plan T&Cs have been updated...or quiz the guy in the dealers about it all when i go in

Post #201070618th Dec 2018 9:53 pm
Pelyma

England 

The dealer wants a sale, end of, he’ll tell you what you want to hear but it won’t be the dealer agreeing any warranty work so if the worst does happen guess who he’ll blame as they won’t honour it. Someone on the RRS forum was in a similar situation with a car he owned from new ISTR. The crank went and LR washed their hands of it.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #201075619th Dec 2018 6:47 am
SJT

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm surprised that you can find any "approved" Commercials with the extra seats. None of the Main Dealers around here will sell them.....

I had to buy both of mine privately.....
 Current - 2016 Commercial SE
Gone - 2014 Commercial XS
Gone - 2015 SE Tech
Gone - 2000 Td5
Gone - 1990 V8 3 door - What a machine! 

Post #201098019th Dec 2018 5:24 pm
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Just walk away

Post #201147921st Dec 2018 8:17 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Yep, none of this sounds good, and as someone else said the dealership will tell you whatever you want to hear in order for them to get a sale, especially at this time of year.

I was given a cast iron guarantee that my 'approved used warranty' would cover the crankshaft failure, but it actually doesn't. Having had crankshaft failure on my previous Disco4 and having tried to get help from LRCS, believe me they'll use anything they can to get out of having to pay up, so a car with no record of service until 38k would be laughed at. I would leave it, as tempting as it may be to you, these cars are very expensive when they go wrong so extreme caution is needed to make sure you're covered for all possible eventualities.

Post #201152321st Dec 2018 11:17 am
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Generally speaking D4s are complicated beasts. They need their regular services, if anything more than simpler vehicles and the risk of not having a warranty is more than with simpler beasts too. I know you specifically want a commercial and they aren't as common. But if you were to think about a normal D4, which remember with the seats down is pretty cavernous, you'll widen the options greatly. If I were you, I'd be thinking it's far too much money to take a chance on and keep looking.

Post #201172121st Dec 2018 8:45 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

DiscoJeffster wrote:
Just walk away

At last, someone not beating about the bush. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Me included. Whistle

Post #201172721st Dec 2018 8:49 pm
logical001

United Kingdom 

Run don't walk!

Dealers are always after sales so will say anything.... and indeed anything written won't hold water other than some kind of very limited 'good will' from their monthly allowance which is used mainly for long-standing customers that need an interior light bulb / sub few hundred quid.

The people that will be picking up the tab for a crank failure is not JLR it will be the insurance underwriters. When my pals z4m engine went bang, despite being on an extended warranty and FBWSH, Mondial checked everything they could (car was actually inspected... I guess signs of track use) before paying out the 20K for the new engine. In fact BMW UK had to intervene to speed the authorisation up.

It will be EXACTLY the same with JLR and for this reason any service and MOT anomalies can be used
as a reason not to pay.

I knew about the crank issue on the D4 and so bought a 1 owner car from a family friend who kept the car money no object with services on the dot, not towed (in fact no one had ever sat in the back) and had the JLR extended warranty. Even with this am fully prepared for a fight if the crank ever did snap.

Speaking of which, is this crank snapping still an issue on the 2016 model? Surely it must have been resolved or is it just a fundamental diesel design flaw?

Thanks

Jonathan

Post #201183522nd Dec 2018 1:47 pm
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Yes, even 2016 have had failures. In fact, even the D5 has had some reported crank failures, as unbelievable as that sounds.

Post #201184422nd Dec 2018 2:05 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

Yes it’s still happening my 2016 landmark engine catastrophically failed with a suspected crankshaft failure in late October at just over twenty thousand miles and two and a half years old, with a full Land Rover service history, Land Rover replaced the engine under warranty but in another six months even with the Land Rover extended warranty it would have been down to a goodwill claim.

Was not prepared to take that sort of gamble, so with lost confidence, I sadly picked it up from the dealers drove it home and a couple of days later part exchanged if for a month old BMW X5 with 30 miles on the clock (and I did fifteen of those on the test drive)

Not a proper 4x4 I know, but it drives very well, tows the caravan with ease, and is more economical,in reality my Disco and previous LR vehicles rarely saw proper off road conditions apart from a bit of snow and occasionally wet grass.

Post #201185322nd Dec 2018 2:31 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

The principle reason I no longer own a D4 - the crankshaft lottery
If I was offered a car with no service in 38K, I would walk away at a rate of knots

Post #201185622nd Dec 2018 2:43 pm
RBP

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

“Walking at a rate of knots” - perhaps better to try running? Wink

Post #201185722nd Dec 2018 2:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >