DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disco 3 - a monumental waste of money?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MX

United Kingdom 
Disco 3 - a monumental waste of money?

Ok....I'll cut to the chase.

Today was the first time out for the family in my "wonderful" Java Black TDV6 SE. Guess what ..... its got at least two significant problems.

1. "Suspension fault" flickering between an amber and red light leading to LR Assistance picking the car up imminently. (Thank god for LRA)

2. Satnav not working - boxes on display are greyed out and only come available intermittently (when it can be bothered and entirely at random)

To cap it all we have driven 100 miles with our caravan and had to get it recovered by LRA and driven 100 miles home at 60mph on the M6.

A truly wonderful day - NOT.

Does anyone have any experience of either of this sort of problem? Am I just the unlucky one (again) or are these vehicles as reliable as the TD5 I just got rid of?

Unhappy

Liverpool
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #4696411th Mar 2006 8:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes I have had the suspension issue, when the car was new. Never had a sat nav problem though. Do you mean the boxes like "Destination Entry" etc. on the Home Menu. Most of them are greyed away whilst the vehicle is in motion, and only come active when the car stops.

If yours are greyed away when stopped, then you could have a faulty speed sensor, and this in turn could be playing havoc with the rest of the electrics. Just my theory.

Give it chance and I am sure you will appreciate the car like I do.

Post #4696611th Mar 2006 8:13 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I like Gareths theory, makes sense. Hopefully your dealer can easily resolve it.
Have your tow electrics been 'activated'?

If you're towing a caravan 60mph is the legal limit anyway Wink

Post #4696711th Mar 2006 8:21 pm
MX

United Kingdom 

thanks for the theory, but this was sitting in Sainsburys carpark! not mobile so that one goes out the window!

As for towing at 60mph ..... well if I was towing I wouldnt mind, but driving down the m6 without a caravan at 60, being passed by allsorts.........very disspiriting!
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #4696811th Mar 2006 8:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

Sorry to say, I think you have been one of the unlucky ones. Picked up mine on Friday and have covered only 250 miles. Enough to know that this vehicle is already decades ahead of the Tdi & Td5.

Lets face it. The 300 was basically an engine and interior upgrade for the 200. The TD5 introduced some (poor) electronics and 'air' to the 300. The last of the TD5's (Post 2002) were the best, but they still can't hold a candle to this D3.

I was talking to the workshop boss before I left the dealership and he told me that the VAST majority of faults are down to simple things which have not been done correctly at the factory. Could be something as simple as a poorly tightened battery earth strap, but this motor NEEDS basic electrical items to be secure. I saw another brand new D3 on Friday having been returned to the dealer on a transporter after 60 new miles. Battery earth was apparently the problem.

If you do suffer a 'major' failure - the chances are it is actually a minor one. The inconvennience is the biggest problem.

Post #4704012th Mar 2006 10:04 am
knightma

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had the problem with greyed out boxes on the sat nav. I was unable to enter a new destination as the ADDRESS box was greyed out. I found the only way to clear it was to delete all the previously entered destinations and way points, although there were only about 5 stored. It's been fine since.

Post #4704612th Mar 2006 10:26 am
marcon

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had suspension failure problems very like your's.They started when I got the D3 in March 2005 and were fixed Jan 2006,this was just one of many faults like park dist cont failure and a few others. Sad

landrover tech eventually found damaged wire loom and replaced same and so far so good.Even though it took so long to fix problems and we contemplated changing to other brands of 4x4 after test driving others in the same price range we just realised how good D3 really is.

Over all most of the faults are minor(not saying this is right)and if you persist you will enjoy the D3 once problems are ironed out.I don't think anything else in it's class comes near it,and this is from a D3 owner(me)who has had his with dealers for over two months(when you add up all the trips) since March 2005.

Hope you get sorted quickly and you get to drive D3 beyond the 60 mph mark Wink

Post #4704712th Mar 2006 10:26 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

An unfortunate start - and yes, it must be very dissappointing for you - but as others have said give it another chance.

Sadly most things in life need a bit of tinkering with before they completely satisfy - houses, cars, gadgets and women are just a few examples. Laughing

Things will get better for you I'm sure.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4704812th Mar 2006 10:27 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Did you get her from Williams in Liverpool (I know they are a BMW dealer in Liverpool - not sure if they also deal in LR as they do in Mcr)
Service there has been very good for me
Read the pages - everybody has issues similar to yours - and virtually all fixed to satisfaction
Keep the faith
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #4709012th Mar 2006 3:33 pm
MX

United Kingdom 

Got her from Hartwells in St Helens.......Williams only do BMW and Mini in Liverpool

Well ... I took her out for a spin in the snow this morning and started to remember why I bought her! stunning ability even with the suspension fault light on Wink

Maybe I was a little hard and these are teething troubles.......its just frustrating to be let down after spending so much money.

Well here goes to a week in a mondeo ghia (yawn)
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #4709612th Mar 2006 3:50 pm
jd

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Lots of snow up her in Scotland. Shame my D3 is again in the garage over the weekend. It has been the worst car Ive ever had. I wish i could get excited by the fact that LR are building me a new one, but i'm now just Censored off and want to buy another Toyota

Post #4711612th Mar 2006 6:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >