DISCO3.CO.UK > General

disco 3 fires
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
phoenix

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
disco 3 fires

hi
i have bought a disco 3 that has been fire damaged. the heater seems to have started it and i am after under bonnet bits to rebuild it. (tdv6) for my own use.does anyone know of a breaker anywhere. i have found 2 others for spares but they have had fires in the nearside inner wing the same as mine. seems that a pattern is emerging! i heard that a couple had burnt out on the production line as well due to electrical problems but lr press office will not confirm it though they do not deny it either. guess i will be fitting a fire extinguisher when it is finished. it is a lovley vehicle and i can not wait to get it mended Question

Post #516532nd Apr 2006 3:37 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thats where the Webasto supplemental heater lives. It does get veryhot in use. If something was to get caught in the area, it would certainly be prone to a fire.

There was a load of D3's fell off a car transporter a while ago on the M1, I don't know what happened to them.

How about showing us some photo's?

Very apt username! Wink

Post #516542nd Apr 2006 3:40 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Do a search for breaker on the forum, there is a number of one who is breaking D3s on a regular basis.
Good luck!
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #516572nd Apr 2006 3:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Found it!!!!!

Nick Evans
01234 851884
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #516582nd Apr 2006 3:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
phoenix

thanks for that i hope he can help. i can justify buying one at proper money so would rather not give our main dealer any more than i have to!! Razz

Post #516592nd Apr 2006 4:04 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

phoenix wrote:
thanks for that i hope he can help. i can justify buying one at proper money so would rather not give our main dealer any more than i have to!! Razz

I was at Nicks on Thursday he has loads of D3's so he sould be able to help.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #516602nd Apr 2006 4:07 pm
SN

phoenix - I've just seen your photos in the galllery - looks like a good job! I see you have a bonatti grey grill on it!
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5402619th Apr 2006 8:26 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

Looks like a super job Phoenix…….

Well done on bringing a poor unfortunate D3 back to life Very Happy

Post #5402819th Apr 2006 8:38 pm
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Looks like the FBH certainly warmed that one up! Shocked
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #5408820th Apr 2006 9:38 am
phoenix

hi
well it is physically healed, or will be when i have painted the panels and refitted them. the photo was the trial fit to set up the panel gaps. mentally though she is still scarred as there are loads of faults in the memory and it will not run. i guess i will have to trailer it to the main dealer to cure the headache.it is partly the fire though it only burnt the 40 wires in the front of the loom.and partly sitting for 5 months with no power in the systems. i have spoken to Land Rover Assistance and they are possibly going to come out and get it running which is good of them. the fire was caused by the webasto heater going up so i do not know if i will put the plug back in that yet!!i found Nick Evans very good for bits and thank you for steering me in his direction. i also bought a lot new as it is quite inexpensive and a bonnet with slight damage from ebay also a headlight from there. i like saving vehicles that are down at heal and hope to be repaid by years of slavish service. only time will tell. i have fitted a tow bar and one of its first tasks will be a 500 mile round trip with my trailer if i can get it finished by next weekend. if not i will just have to use my Defender 50 which is one of the few modern lr products that i have owned and actually like. perhaps the 4 litre V8 and auto might have something to do with it. well i hope i get to like the Disco 3 and the savings i have made means that i can keep it as well!!! for those who are interested it cost £14K and another £2.5K in bits including the tow bar. it is not registered as a write off when i checked so represents quite a saving on the "shop" price. my only wish was that it was automatic , leater seats and not black though i like the colour i live in the country and black cars always look dirty. still i can not complain and one does not have much choice when finding a vehicle like this when they have not been out for that long. Crying or Very sad

Post #5409220th Apr 2006 10:40 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Very nice job, do you know what caused the fire? the FBH is the suspect, but why did it blow up?

BTW, that looks like a Rover SD1 in the background. 8) , is it a V8?

Post #5460323rd Apr 2006 11:33 pm
phoenix

yes it is a V8 vitesse. i have 3 SD1s all with proper engines. i also have a couple of defenders with V8s and a press launch disco of 1989 with one and several others in my stag and some other vehicles in fact only having 6 cylinders in my discovery is a bit of a come down. though finished it is at the dealer having the faults removed from the ECU so that it will run. i hope it is running soon as i want to go to Brussels with my trailer next week and it would be usefull to go in this rather than slum it in my 50 defender though the 4 litre V8 and auto is a dream to drive. back to the disco3 the fire is totally centered round the heater. the fire was spotted one morning just before christmas when the previous user noticed smoke coming from under the bonnet. it was not being used at the time so i can only think it somehow set itself alight when the heater fired up for some reason. though i have bought a new unit i do not know if it will work as the ecu for it may be faulty. whilst looking for spares i did find two other disco 3 in breakers yard but the bits i needed were not available as they had suffered underbonnet fires.
i will keep you updated as to the progress at the dealer

Post #5566830th Apr 2006 9:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >