Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Disco 3 dreaded electrical faults!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sailingaway

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Disco 3 dreaded electrical faults!

With the boat I was working on in Barcelona sold, I packed up all the remaining gear into the D3, and hitched the tender up to the back. Heading for the UK with a fresh service and general check, I thought I was pretty well prepared, however....

About 100 miles in, the HDC error and no special programmes came up, the car lowered, handling rubbish etc etc. We thought we had fixed this issue (and maybe we had!) a few months ago when we replaced the brake switch - it was throwing up this error all the time, and the new brake switch solved it. So, we drove to the next services, stopped, restarted the car, and as usual all was well.

1am on a French Motorway and the car suddenly threw up several errors in quick succession (difficult to time them all) - we lost rev counter, temperature, hazards began flashing, gearbox (manual) displayed 'E', special programmes off, HDC fault, parking brake fault (yellow and red light on dash) and all was generally quite unhappy.

As we pulled over the car shut down, and proved a nightmare to try and re-start. Couldn't select low range to try and clear the gearbox error, although we suspect that may be a red herring. Some suspect fluid coming from the pan under the right hand side of the engine - didn't seem to be diesel or oil, seemed more like water but may have been ATF - by then it was 2am and we were a bit fried! All lights in the cabin kept coming on as though the doors were open. Central Locking kept engaging and disengaging, and every so often it seemed to run through another system check. All the lights on the special modes were illuminated. Couldn't adjust suspension.

We changed the battery (had a spare for the boat we were towing!), did (hopefully) a reset by disconnecting battery then joining pos/neg with the ignition on, and had a bit of a rummage round everything, to no avail.

Thousands of threads on this - we've theorised that it's likely (!) to be one of these issues:
- Dead battery
- Alternator Issues
- Brake Switch (again)
- Parking Switch
- Transmission Control Module (TCM) having water ingress
- Transmission fluid leak
- Gearbox sensor fault
- Failed Instrument Cluster
- Any combination of the above, anything we haven't thought of!

So, when the vehicle is eventually repatriated to the UK (did this with my last D3 Rolling Eyes ) we'll start working through the list above. Will document it here! Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Post #223041516th May 2021 12:14 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Rear bulbs failing or the wiring connector under the trailing edge of the front left wheel arch liner.
It's common for the wiring to and from that connector to fail and it can cause a whole heap of cascading errors.

edit: although can't remember either of those messing with the central locking.
possibly look to see if the wiring that runs down the left side of the cabin floor (within the vehicle) is submerged in water...central locking wiring definitely goes along that route.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #223042016th May 2021 1:09 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like an alternator fault
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #223042416th May 2021 1:17 pm
sailingaway

Ok thanks chaps. Looking forward to repatriating the beast and actioning the diagnosis!

Post #223055016th May 2021 9:21 pm
sailingaway

Update - car arrived back today.

Wretched thing started for the recovery driver, and has started multiple times since, including driving me home from the boatyard!

1. Could this be rain related?!

2. Could this be related to towing the boat, changing the angle of the car or something?!

Post #22337942nd Jun 2021 9:19 pm
sailingaway

Disco went in for fault diagnosis today. 88 faults apparently - no print out or e-mail of detail available sadly.

The garage (who are super busy) have said it is probably either the instrument cluster, Transmission Control Module, or Dynamic Control Module...

Post #22340003rd Jun 2021 5:45 pm
sailingaway

My GAP IID BT arrived today. I plugged it in and got the attached fault codes. Not surprised by the stereo - I have an aftermarket.

Once I cleared them, the only one that persisted was the Mass or volume air flow circuit one - that wouldn't go away. That said, I was only sat outside on idle - I'll drive somewhere tomorrow and see what comes up then. The interior light short one came up again also.

Body Control

Engine TDV6 Faults

Instrument Pack

Body Control after clearing

Post #22349118th Jun 2021 5:01 pm
sailingaway

resurrecting this thread.... I've been having some problems recently, and checking the fault codes, and a new one has come up based on the trailer turn signal indicator. This would fit with the problems only really occurring when I'm towing/have recently been towing.

I suspect that one of those looms is shorting and causing some issues.

Fault codes as follows:

VIN: SALLAAA176A409992
L319 - Discovery 3 2006
Vehicle scanned on 12-09-2021 22:24
Using IIDTool BT V4.0 B2691

Auxilary Heater

U1A44-6C (2E) Fuel level
Body Control

B1B70-81 (28) Local interconnection network bus circuit 2 - Bus signal/message failure - invalid serial data received
( at 198860 km )
B1D08-15 (28) Left trailer turn signal circuit - General electrical failure - circuit short to battery or open
( at 198980 km )
B1D14-15 (2E) Interior lamps 2 circuit - General electrical failure - circuit short to battery or open
( at 198760 km )
U0155-87 (28) Lost communication with instrument cluster control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
( at 199010 km )
Engine TDV6

P0100-00 (2F) Mass or volume air flow circuit
P0199-00 (28) Engine oil temperature sensor circuit intermittent
P1136-00 (6C) Control box fan circuit
P0196-00 (6C) Engine oil temperature sensor circuit range/performance
Instrument Pack

U0184-87 (2F) Lost communication with audio unit - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
( at 198763 km )

Post #225110713th Sep 2021 2:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >