Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disco 3 capable of commercial towing duties?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jhunty

England 
Disco 3 capable of commercial towing duties?

Dear All,

Firstly, I'm new to this forum and am impressed with the wealth of infomation here dedicated to the Discovery 3.

I'm not an owner as yet but would be grateful for views on both the Discovery 3 as a towing workhorse.
After reading and enquiring about the commercial version coming out shortly its got me thinking about replacing our current vehicle (Isuzu Rodeo / Dmax auto) which is nearly 3 years old with 76,000 miles. It tows a 16 ft flatbed trailer about 98% of the time with as much as 2 ton loads. I'm very impressed with it to date with very little problems (fan belt broke, and offside front brakes stuck on). Still on original tyres and averages 28 mpg on a round trip towing (have had 38 mpg without trailer).
My only real complaints are: the is ride is harsh (leaf springs) while towing, not the most comfortable seats and no cruise control (a must!).

I have since started to consider the Discovery 3 Commercial XS because of the cruise control, air suspension, larger towing capacity @ 3,500kg, and its VAT reclaimable etc.. However, after reading some general comments on here and www.haveyoursay.com about the Discovery 3, I'm a little dubious about its reliability and costly ownership.

For a start spending £ 31,000 ish for a vehicle with only 2 seats takes some serious thinking about!
Secondly, I havn't seen many people getting high 20's mpg (even without a trailer!!)
Payload in the back doesn't appear to be much more than 600kg whereas the Isuzu pickup is about 1 ton and has 5 seats! Therefore the Discovery 3 doesn't justify the lack of seating for such a small payload.

That removable panel for the towbar electrics appears to be very tacky and the whole back bumper feels like it could fall off with the lightest of knocks.

What I really want to know is would anyone truly recommend one for full time commercial towing duties and loading tools and stuff in the back? It seems to me that if you want a Land Rover for heavy farm / commercial duties, the crude Defender is the only vehicle suitable. Why is it 4x4 of the year if there are this many faults?

I would be very grateful for anyones comments and would love to be corrected on my initial thoughts!
I understand that the only reason people may post comments on these forums is because they've had problems whereas you never hear about the good points.

Many thanks
James

Post #13782911th Mar 2007 8:49 pm
Jads777

Guernsey 
Re: Disco 3 capable of commercial towing duties?

jhunty wrote:
I understand that the only reason people may post comments on these forums is because they've had problems whereas you never hear about the good points.

Hi jhunty,

You have answered your own question really. Thousands of D3 owners are happy and have had no problems. Those who have had problems tend to mention them, including the plonker on haveyoursay.com.

As a tow car the D3 is very hard to beat.

There are tales here, and photos, of cars which have been hit up the rear and sustained scratched bumpers while the other vehicle has been smashed to bits.

Do a search for all of these things, draw your own conclusions and then visit your dealer. You won't be disappointed.

Post #13783211th Mar 2007 9:24 pm
Points Mean Prizes

From your negative comments I would suggest you don't buy one as someone with that sort of view will never be convinced otherwise. I bought one because it is capable of both towing several tonnes of bricks and mortar, towing my caravan on holiday, fitting a full sheet of ply in the back with my wife and child in the car, and finally because after having done all of those things we can drive down to London for the weekend and park it outside of Harrods with pride. I don't think there is a pick-up truck in the world which can do all of those things.

I must admit that the two seats in the commercial version is not so good but I have heard of people having conversions done to new ones, claiming the VAT back and then converting back. Wink

All being said I was considering one of the Nissan Navaras as they look quite nice and ride OK.

Post #13783411th Mar 2007 9:26 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the site James, you will mainly find the views of the believer and the converted on here, the odd trouble maker appears and gets sent Twisted Evil packing. These believers will still point out issues but they are still loyal to the D3 because it so good in many other ways

Will tow with minimal effort, 07 models are rumoured to be around 27-28MPG Ave without trailer.

2 Seats or VAT, the choice you make.

D3 is hard as nails, the bumper cover is a neat solution to having its Censored and balls on display on a permanent basis

The "faults" (not bothered me) have been built out in the time its been around

£31,000 - a reasonable amount to pay for such an ultimate vehicle with LR Pedigree

IN MY OPINION Whistle

Test drive one for a day, put your trailer on.....you'll see Very Happy

Post #13783611th Mar 2007 9:28 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

jhunty

From what you write, it seems to me that you'd be better off looking at a top spec Nissan Navara twincab. This would feel like a big upgrade from an Isuzu and is much cheaper than the D3 and cheaper to run. A D3 commercial still has the car interior so the rear door linings can easily suffer damage and is still carpeted in the rear. It is really a bit too posh to use for many trades.
However, I've gone from driving various vans for 5 years, to a D3. The extra cost (in fuel bills, not being able to claim the VAT on vehicle purchase & depreciation) is a bit too much for my business (my accountant isn't happy!), but I wouldn't swap it now for anything.
The D3 does everything - it is my van during the week, a luxury family car at weekends, a seven seater people carrier when we take friends out and now a fantastic hobby with these off-roading events.
It depends on what you want and what value you put on it. If you want a workhorse that you can afford to knock about over the years, get a Nivaro. If you want to drive something that is very luxurious, yet tows better than anything else and you're prepared to look after it carefully, get a D3.
 Matt  
Post #13784411th Mar 2007 9:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I agree with Matt....if your not really taken with the spec of the D3 from the outset then it may not be right for you. Having said that there are many members here that use theirs for commecial purposes and sing it's praises. It will have no problem towing the weights you require....but as with all commercial uses over 3500kg's, don't forget to fit a tacho Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13786811th Mar 2007 10:26 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you tow a 16ft flatbed trailer 98% of the time then why don't you buy a lorry?
 Back in the game!  
Post #13797212th Mar 2007 10:41 am
jhunty

England 

A truck just isn't practiclal what with requiring an operators licence, regular roadside checks etc.. At present the pickup and trailer is only used about 2 times a week for deliveries. If we had to deliver day in day out to a large number of customers then fine but presently this combination suits us very well, and to be honest the payload and space available on a 7.5 tonner isn't a whole lot more for the type of goods we carry. Plus the option of decoupling the trailer gives added flexibility when visiting customers or carrying smaller loads.

Cheers
James

Post #13818012th Mar 2007 10:43 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Do you have a Tacho currently connected to your Isuzu?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13818212th Mar 2007 10:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jhunty

England 

Yes, we have a tacho fitted in the Isuzu. If we went for another Isuzu we'd have to have a digital tacho fitted but I have seen on here that the Disco 3 would need the analogue type.
Not sure if thats a possible argument for having a D3! I heard that just prior to the digital system being introduced (1st May 2006), a terrific amount of haulage compaines were buying new trucks so they could have the older analogue system because of the expensive etc..
We priced a new digital system to be fitted in a new Isuzu and it was around £1,500!! + applying for driver cards and card readers etc.. Certainly not cheap.

Post #13825813th Mar 2007 8:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >