Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Dinghies on the roof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Dinghies on the roof

Does anyone have experience of the best kit for the carrying of dinghies like the Laser Pico, Optimist or Topper on their D3? There is a load of stuff here about kayaks and I wondered about little boats.

I'd be interested in buy-able stuff and innovative work-arounds out there.

None of the boats I am considering weigh more than 75Kg so should fit in with the weight limit on the roof.

I have a couple of trailers that are great but sometimes it is nice not to have to worry about towing and what to do with the trailer if you are leaving the car and trailer in a car park for a few days as I do regularly.
 2008.5 D3 HSE, Stornoway, Ebony
2007 BMW 335iSE - lust for speed satisfied 

Post #31128217th Jun 2008 5:19 pm
NJF

I have experience of lifting them up the beach, and even with a couple of strong helpers, I wouldn't want to lift them onto a D3 roofrack, Edd. Shocked

Post #31129617th Jun 2008 6:18 pm
JWS1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I carry a Laser and Topper on the D3 roof regularly with no problems. Thule roof bars are better than the OE, they are longer and can more easily take mast sections alongside the boat. Some form of padding on the bars is essential, heavyweight pipe-lagging or old carpet is fine if you dont want pretty pictures. You can get brackets to hold the spars securely or knock something up yourself, either way they make life easier.

Pretty much any rope or strap system will work to hold the boat down. The straps are a little quicker to use and they do spread the force over more surface area, but be careful with ratcheting straps, you can crank them down so hard that you actually put stress cracks in the hull.

If you are worried about security you can run a coated cable through the centerboard slot and round a roof bar.

As long as there are 2 of you to lift it onto the roof bars you are OK...its a long way to lift if you are on your own...

Post #31129817th Jun 2008 6:22 pm
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nice one JWS1 Thumbs Up

Which Thule bars have you used? - part number would be really helpful if you have it.

Never really considered the spars a problem as most of them fit inside the D3 nicely - envious looks normally from non D3 owners Laughing
 2008.5 D3 HSE, Stornoway, Ebony
2007 BMW 335iSE - lust for speed satisfied 

Post #31130317th Jun 2008 6:33 pm
Harlequin

United Kingdom 

Not directly connected with your question but you might be interested in looking at a C-Tug (www.c-tug.com). I've just bought one for moving our 3.2m inflatable on the beach/slipway. Had to modify the straps slightly because they're originally intended for a kayak but the design is excellent and it works well with heavier boats. Look for local suppliers but I got mine from NCSupplies (I think) in Cornwall via eBay.
 I was taught to be cautious.  
Post #31143118th Jun 2008 3:36 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Edd, Thule part numbers are in my "canoes on the roof bars" post...

Quote:
For Thule bars, you need 3027 feet and 753 fixpoints (see http://www.thule.co.uk/appguide/). They then recommend 769 bars, which are 127cm. However, mk1 eyeball in the Halfords car park suggested the 135cm bars wouldn't be too far off, and they're not - nothing that extending the slot by a centimetre didn't fix... NB the tracks are further apart at the front than at the back - you only need to grind one bar! (You can guess when I worked that one out...)

Not sure how wide a topper is as to what width bars you'd need; I do know my big toe nail has not yet grown back since I dropped a topper on it 6 weeks ago, so I reckon it's going to be a 2-person lift for sure Big Cry

Martin

Post #31158018th Jun 2008 3:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >