Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Dilemma on broken crank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think you have found, in effect, it's uneconomical to repair. For the price of any repair, you could simply buy another 2010 Disco4. I think sometimes we get too attached to cars, especially a Disco. I know I do. You end up ploughing money into a specific car hand over fist because of that attachment. Take a step back and look at it in simply economic terms.

Maybe...

Post #234845520th Sep 2023 11:55 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

sums up my views !!!!
You only have to look at the horror stories of those who have tried the cheap fix in the past to work out its futile. Ask yourself why are local garages not interested?

Its not negativity its practical sense once you have spent your several thousand fixing the engine , Whats next with a 12yo vehicle. My crank went in a 2016 D4 the invoice came to 14k using a JLR rebuilt engine. I was lucky JLR picked up the bill . The warranty on that engine has 2 months to run ,if it goes again its out the door as there is no way I would entertain spending such a high proportion of its value let alone on a vehicle that has a value of less than the cost of fixing. Its a machine thats broke why the attachment!

Post #234846021st Sep 2023 6:22 am
bwk

United Kingdom 

I'm with OP on this. Buying another SDV6 engined car is not really a resolution as the weak crank and oil delivery issues still exist so if you end up with a car that hasn't been run on 5w-40 and changed regularly or has been subject to large throttle openings at low RPMs (or both) you're potentially sitting on a ticking time bomb. I'm therefore of the opinion that the normal thought process of deducing the car is uneconomical to repair due to repair cost as a function of vehicle value is not so relevant, IF you want a Discovery on the driveway.

In OPs position, I'd be looking for a reputable engine builder to rebuild the current unit safe in the knowledge that once done you've got an engine that is probably better than crate. As other's have said this does presume that the rest of the car is in a decent state. Oval look good, people also talk about QP. I have no personal experience of either.

LR Time have a useful overview of his views on the causes of this failure and what can be done to prevent it, worth a watch. &pp=ygULbHJ0aW1lIHNkdjY%3D

IMO buying one of these cars without eyes wide open to this issue is not very wise. Personally, I'd rather buy one with a lunched engine and have it sorted to then know how it's been treated.

Post #234919030th Sep 2023 10:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >