DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Diff Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
DiscoJacques

South Africa 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Diff Replacement

Hi all

I have taken my D3 for a suspension error that keeps popping up when I drive through deep water.

To my surprise yesterday, LR Bedforview informed me that both diffs needs to be replaced! My suggestion is that if you suspect any humming or vibration, have it checked out. My vehicle is still under warrantee, so no problem. The front diff is +/-R9K and rear is R12K excl labour. ETA on parts is one month.

I can hardly notice any the diff noise, but apperantly both are leaking and noisy. Does anyone had the same problem? Is this a common problem?

Must say, first time I have used Bedfordview and the best service I ever received from any LR agent Thumbs Up

Happy new year to all Thumbs Up
 2007 TDV6 SE auto (ex Write off)
2013 D4 SDV6 SE auto 

Post #57207931st Dec 2009 6:57 am
hls

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Deon can tell you a lot about diffs.

Must say that I have had mostly negative experiences at LR Bedfordview. other members have however made positive coment so maybe I am biased?

Post #57218031st Dec 2009 1:59 pm
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The rear diff-lock actuator packed up on my D3, 2007 model. When I took it in I also mentioned the fact that one or maybe two diffs are whining. I went away for 10 days and on return was informed that both diffs have been replaced under warranty.

It seems like some diffs gave a lot of problems due to inside heat coating dissolving and causing lubricant to loose its properties. Resulting in diffs to be replaced at the drop of a hat. I haven't heard of any total diff failure yet, though.

This was done at Sandton. After a very bad experience with Bedfordview with my Defender I haven't been back to them again.
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #5732093rd Jan 2010 5:55 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yup coating issue. Chemical reaction causes the oil to corrode the seals and they start to leak as well. Known issue, later ones had different coating.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5732113rd Jan 2010 6:18 am
DiscoJacques

Second hand

After reading through some of the previous posts, I believe LR is fitting recon diffs under warrantee. Just phoned LR Bedfordview about this (as both my dffs are on back order), after having a lengthy discussion, they admitted that no new diffs are fitted.

All diffs are reconditioned and re-used by Dealers for warrantee purposes. This is Censored cracy!!!!

Most people experience louder noises from the reconditioned diffs that the faulty ones. LR also confirmed that the local company in Pretoria has stopped supplying local dealers because of the quality of workmanship. All diffs come from LR UK reconditioned.

I do not think this is acceptable practice as my D3 has only done 60K km and probably getting a diff with 100K + km on Big Cry
2013 D4 SDV6 SE auto 

Post #5767398th Jan 2010 1:27 pm
Deondef

When Sandton LR replaced my diffs, they were adamant that they were new from UK. Took 6 weeks - but I was away at the time and not in a hurry.

Do not have proof of this at all, though. Only thing that one could probably do is get an official receipt/invoice and maybe written confirmation when diffs were fitted for future reference/claims.
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Post #5767468th Jan 2010 1:34 pm
DiscoJacques

At first they told me it's new. Now when I confronted them, they wanted to know what I classify as "new" and what do I define "recon"

My answer was fairly easy: new means it has never been Censored used and recon means it has been used before Exclamation

Then they replied by saying it is both new and reconditioned Question Question Question

It's old casings and brand new internal parts. After asking them why move from Pretoria back to UK if the recon is fairly simple by replacing all internal parts with new ones, certainly the cost of shipment is higher from the UK. They could only respond to say that they now only accept diffs from the LR UK factory, because of quality issues.

Now this is where my lack of technical knowledge starts getting under my skin. I am fairly logical in all thinking, but how could replacing parts internally be better from one location to another be so different Question Keep in mind that every component except for the external casings are new. Why would the UK be able to replace worn out parts that will last longer or be of better workmanship Question Question Question
2013 D4 SDV6 SE auto 

Post #5767568th Jan 2010 1:47 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Probably a better work force in the UK

Post #5768018th Jan 2010 2:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deondef

Ich weis nicht Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #5768168th Jan 2010 2:59 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

I noticed that the last rear diff I fitted (which was listed as a recon/exchange) with the recon part number was in fact new, (with the 'new' part number underneath.
I have found a lot of exchange stuff is like this from Landrover.

HTH
Steve

Post #5768328th Jan 2010 3:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DiscoJacques wrote:
Now this is where my lack of technical knowledge starts getting under my skin. I am fairly logical in all thinking, but how could replacing parts internally be better from one location to another be so different Question Keep in mind that every component except for the external casings are new. Why would the UK be able to replace worn out parts that will last longer or be of better workmanship Question Question Question

I can only imagine that the local "reconditioner" would be processing X units per month, using whoever was available at the time Vs the reconditioner in the UK who would be reconditioning 30 * X per month and possibly be subject to some form of (LR) QC and probably had special jigs (volume would warrant it) as well as specifically trained staff.

Post #5771008th Jan 2010 8:17 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Repalcement diffs here come straight from catapillar, not sure if cat are using new intrernals and old casings for warranty ones but I doubt you could tellanyway unless one had been hit.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5773909th Jan 2010 12:53 am
Rhinoman

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Noise - is it the diff / transfer box

Hi, I noticed this week, that once I had engaged low range - in normal terrain mode that there is a constant whine when driving.
Not noticed this before -normal / cause for concern?

Post #58254816th Jan 2010 8:18 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Noise - is it the diff / transfer box

Rhinoman wrote:
Hi, I noticed this week, that once I had engaged low range - in normal terrain mode that there is a constant whine when driving.
Not noticed this before -normal / cause for concern?

Normal - if I remember correctly it has a planetary reduction ? Someone with a manual would be able to confirm

Post #58261716th Jan 2010 11:11 am
gerhardt

South Africa 2007 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3

Help, 07 tdv6se with 36000km is going to dealer tomorrow for some issues. Diff whine experienced at low speed.(previously reported to dealer - claimed it was tire related. Have replaced tire with Grabber at2 but problem persists) Also experiencing a loss of power when accelerating and vehicle is jerky when at idle in drive at stop/robots. If gearbox is placed in neutral the problem disappears. Once the vehicle is warm no jerkiness experienced. Please advise what I should tell the dealer to look for as there is no fault code recorded. Dealer seems to only react to the fault codes.

Post #59131927th Jan 2010 4:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >