Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Diff oil daft question time.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Diff oil daft question time.

I'm planning on changing the front diff oil. Now I've been reading that it takes some exact quantity of some expensive stuff.
I'm guessing that it's not a "fill to spill" affair but measuring the correct amount isn't much of an issue.
Now to the oil it's self. It looks like a dealer supply item although there are others that do an equivalent.
My daft question is this. Does the oil need to be as good as that specified if it's changed every couple of years.
Manufacturer's fill with some exotic lubricant because they don't want to have warranty issues later on. This isn't the case with the owner/ maintainer. I can get a top quality oil of the correct grade 75/90. Can I use this and simply change it more often?
I'm trying to eliminate various issues to do with noise. The front diff could be one such source. Draining the oil and replacing is with something has got to be better than having oil that could well be 166K miles old.
Thoughts welcome.

Post #13511561st Oct 2014 7:29 pm
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Transfer box is dealer only supply. Opie oils will sort any queries, they are sponsors of this site.

Andi.

Post #13511781st Oct 2014 8:10 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Diff oil isn't dealer only (although the transfer box is). I bought some from site sponsor, Opie Oils. I too, changed my diff oil chasing a noise, which manifests itself as a distinct vibration felt through the steering wheel. Didn't make any difference, unfortunately, but I'm still glad I did as what came out resembled liquid mud rather than oil.

The front diff only takes 0.6 litres, which seems like a spoonful compared to older Land Rovers. It clearly has to work hard for its' living, so on that basis alone I'd stick with the recommended stuff.

There's some more details of doing mine here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1316562.html#1316562
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #13511811st Oct 2014 8:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nodge68

I think I'll pop down to Opie in the morning and get what they recommend. I might pick up the gearbox oil too. The transfer box oil will have to wait until I can get to a dealer.

I to have a noise at certain speeds which is accompanied by a slight vibration felt through the steering.

Post #13511931st Oct 2014 8:25 pm
StornowayStu

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

So has anybody got definite proof that "fill to spill" rather than exact quantity will cause problems with the front or rear (open) diff ? Last time I did measure it out which was a bit of a pain but I did wonder....

Post #13512051st Oct 2014 8:39 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I doubt that anybody has done a deliberate test due to the potential for expensive failure.
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #13512411st Oct 2014 9:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Allan_T

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Diff oil daft question time.

Nodge68 wrote:
I'm planning on changing the front diff oil. Now I've been reading that it takes some exact quantity of some expensive stuff.
I'm guessing that it's not a "fill to spill" affair but measuring the correct amount isn't much of an issue.

The correct quantity for a drain and refill is 610ml, if you overfill the oil will leak out of the driveshaft seals.

Quote:

Manufacturer's fill with some exotic lubricant because they don't want to have warranty issues later on. This isn't the case with the owner/ maintainer. I can get a top quality oil of the correct grade 75/90. Can I use this and simply change it more often? .

The original LR spec oil for the open differential is Castrol SAF-XO 75w-90, this has been superseded by Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90.
 GAP IID Pro Multi Vehicle Defender L316 2007-2015 - Discovery 3 - Discovery 4 - Discovery Sport L550 - Freelander 2 - Range Rover Evoque L538 - Range Rover L322 - Range Rover L405 - Range Rover Sport L320 - Range Rover Sport L494
Electrical Fault Diagnostics

Post #13512461st Oct 2014 9:36 pm
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I too wonder how accurate you must be when changing the oils. I used a measuring jug to measure my oils, but when I then pour this into my Laser pump the markings on the tube show slightly less. So which do I believe, do I add slightly more "to be sure".
Andi.

Post #13515972nd Oct 2014 5:24 pm
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I am planning to change my Diff oils however I don’t seem to be able to find any Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 near me in Spain, however I can find Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 Limited Slip (see above post).

I am OK using the 75W140 Limited Slip instead given my car has the standard Diff?
 Club Narpy Torch

“No return to boom and bust” Gordon Brown when chancellor
He has been proved right, now there is only bust! 

Post #13516042nd Oct 2014 5:36 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

hugeviking wrote:
I too wonder how accurate you must be when changing the oils. I used a measuring jug to measure my oils, but when I then pour this into my Laser pump the markings on the tube show slightly less. So which do I believe, do I add slightly more "to be sure".
Andi.

If you want to double-check the markings on the pump fill it with 1.5kg of water and then mark the level.

Clearly you need accurate scales, which must be common on the RRS site.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13516082nd Oct 2014 5:44 pm
armybuck041

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

StornowayStu wrote:
So has anybody got definite proof that "fill to spill" rather than exact quantity will cause problems with the front or rear (open) diff ? Last time I did measure it out which was a bit of a pain but I did wonder....

Thats what I did. Fill to spill with Royal Purple 75w140 on both Diffs. Used approx 3 liters total for both ends. Going on 6 months and about 5000 miles with zero issues on the rear (seals are all fine). My Front Diff ended up needing to be changed out with the usual eaten bearings issue, but I also filled the new one up to the plug. 2 months and 2000 miles on it, zero issues. To be clear, the old one was on its way out before the oil change, so in no way did filling to the plug contribute to its demise.

I can't see what on earth filling to the plug could possibly harm save for maybe the seals. Provided the breathers are in good shape, that shouldn't be an issue either.

For giggles, I put 0.66 liters in a measuring bowl. I can't see how that is sufficient for a vehicle this size, and after replacing a Front Diff, no one is going to convince me otherwise.
 2005 NAS SE Petrol V8  
Post #13517362nd Oct 2014 9:24 pm
Nodge68

So do you know how much extra oil went into the diff for it to spill?
Having been working with older cars and HGVs and farm vehicles for years, I can't see why the D3 uses such a tiny amount of oil in the diffs.
I'm reading that the bearings fail prematurely anyway, maybe this small amount of lube is a contributory factor.
The diff seals shouldn't be affected by oil level inside the diff. These seals are, or should be designed to seal regardless of oil level. It's a go anywhere 4X4 after all.
Now if there is a breather problem, then that would cause oil to be pushed past the seals. Other than that, I can't see a problem.
Just my thoughts.

Post #13517733rd Oct 2014 6:51 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Fill to spill on my own car, front and rear diffs, and transfer box

18 months and 30k miles later, with no issues (that were not already apparent) Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #13517763rd Oct 2014 7:05 am
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have been looking on line, several manufacturers (Jeep/BMW) recommend 75W140 rather than 75W 90 if you tow regularly due to the extra load.

Nodge68/LandRoverAnorak: Have you tried replacing the fuel filter and using up premium fuel e.g. Shell v-power? My vehicle developed similar symptoms this cured it and it has not returned (I think the some of the diesel over here only just meets EU regs so is not so good).
 Club Narpy Torch

“No return to boom and bust” Gordon Brown when chancellor
He has been proved right, now there is only bust! 

Last edited by fishinmad on 3rd Oct 2014 7:35 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13517773rd Oct 2014 7:09 am
Nodge68

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Fill to spill on my own car, front and rear diffs, and transfer box

18 months and 30k miles later, with no issues (that were not already apparent) Thumbs Up

As I suspected.
I simply don't think there is enough oil in these components for them to last long term. Don't forget, oil is used to cool as well as lubricate. So less oil means less cooling capacity, higher operating temps and shorter oil life. Short oil life means short component life.
I believe LR were probably looking to keep fuel economy as high as possible. This would be aided by reduced oil drag in the transmission which is lubricated by the tiniest amount of oil.

Low oil quantity where ball, roller bearing is bad for bearing life. The reason being due to contaminants in the oil. If there is little oil, these contaminants can't "flush" off the bearing before it rolls onto the bearing tracks. It gets crushed into the track or ball surface causing bearing failure. If there is lots of oil, these contaminants simply flow away from the bearing surfaces, causing no real damage.

Just my thoughts.

Post #13517853rd Oct 2014 7:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >