Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cornwallboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Diesel

With diesel at more than £1 a litre in my remote part of Cornwall, is it time to start using home heating oil as a low-cost substitute?
I am told 28 second domestic oil is very similar to diesel and is low sulphur.
Discos are generally pretty detuned because many go to third world regions -- like Cornwall -- where fuel quality is pretty iffy.
Will I knacker the engine by using home heating -- or play safe by using a mixture of say 5:1 in favour of pump diesel?
Of course, this a purely theoretical discussion as putting in home heating oil -- at around 35p a litre -- in a vehicle is strictly illegal and would annoy that nice Mr Brown at No. 11 immensely.

Post #5478325th Apr 2006 7:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Be careful...but I suppose its not as bad as using cooking oil...at least you wont smell like a chip shop Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #5479025th Apr 2006 8:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
csory

Hungary 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Just some fun addon here: government went the "smart" way and added a specific red colour agent to the (low-tax, super-cheap) heating oil. The idea was if they ever find red diesel oil in you tank, you're royally scr*wed... Then guys started to "treat" the oil, literally adding suplhuric acid to neutralize the colouring agent. Then it was sold at gas stations as the real thing. Then hundreds of spanking new common-rail equipped cars went back for complete fuel injector replacement under warranty - until manufacturers started to refuse repair for acid damage. And yeah, it was in Hungary, a few years ago Wink

You should check if your heating oil is low suplhur, no-acid, and at winter time cold-resistant. Then you should be fine...
 TDV6 HSE Java Black, auto, difflock, fridge, winter, 7-seater, PDC, privacy, AHL, sunroof - 3rd row fixed Smile   
Post #5479325th Apr 2006 8:51 am
J T

England 

I was told to be very careful with heating oil as it dose not lubricate as well as diesel.

A friend of mine used heating oil in an old landy but added some two stroke for good measure.....not sure if I would risk it in my Tdv6.

Post #5485025th Apr 2006 4:48 pm
Vectis

England 

I know a bloke who used heating oil in his fishing boat as he was given a tank full and you could always spot him a mile off due to the clouds of smoke!

Post #5485225th Apr 2006 4:57 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I do find it strange that people who spend 28-42K on a state of the art Jag engined D3 then want to put oil designed for a boiler in it. My suggestion would be you sell the D3 and buy something that does better than 25-30 to the gallon and use the saved money to buy proper diesel for it. That way you can put the right fuel in...... Laughing
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #5491826th Apr 2006 12:20 am
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a brand new Grunfoss AK47 oil boiler, can I put diesel in it as I find heating oil a bit sedate for my tastes ? Embarassed
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #5491926th Apr 2006 12:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >