DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Dealer broke my car - whose problem?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kooky1976

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Dealer broke my car - whose problem?

Hi all.

I have only ever used my main dealer for annual servicing to keep the stamps up on our FL2.

Today, my Disco 4 went in for a replacement exhaust gas temperature sensor under warranty (3rd party). The work was authorised although I have to pay the difference in labour which I'm happy to do. I didn't use an Indy as I couldn't get the work done quickly enough, otherwise I would have.

Anyway I get a call this morning from LR to say they have snapped the sensor in the exhaust. They said it was corroded. They have had to cut the exhaust to get it on the ground but are now proceeding to drill and hopefully re-tap the section. They say that they will try and absorb as much of the extra cost as possible (the original job was 1.8hrs and £405 inc VAT) but I've been left now wondering if I'm going to be hit with an enormous labour bill. I can imagine the Warranty company won't entertain an amendment and I wouldn't blame them.

If they can't drill out the old sensor and I end up needing a replacement DPF, I dread to think what the main dealer cost will be.

Anyone else had a similar issue and do you guys think it's my problem to suck up the extra labour or not?

I normally do my own work of this type but because the warranty covered it (mostly) I thought I'd entrust it to the capable hands of the LR techs.

Cheers

Last edited by Kooky1976 on 9th Jun 2020 5:57 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #21525579th Jun 2020 4:38 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

supply your own DPF if required? start lookin now

Post #21525629th Jun 2020 4:54 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Unless they warned you in advance or stopped the job to phone you and tell you it was a risk, I'd tell them to ram it and let them suck the costs!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #21525639th Jun 2020 4:59 pm
Kooky1976

Nope. They rang me to say that it had snapped as it was corroded. I asked if they had used penetrating fluid and / or heat and I was just told yes.

Post #21525649th Jun 2020 5:04 pm
Kooky1976

Just received an update.

They have managed to drill and tap the existing site so they will cover the additional labour but I have been asked to pay for the clamp to reattach the exhaust. I think I can swallow that!

Car will be off the ramps and finished by lunchtime tomorrow so a 1.8hr job has turned into something like 12hrs on and off.

Post #21525709th Jun 2020 5:17 pm
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Glad they got it sorted. Personally, my take on it would've been that you would expect to get your car back from them in the same state that it was in when you took it there, but with any requested work completed to an acceptable standard. If it comes back to you with problems it didn't have when it left you, then it's very much their problem!

Post #21526019th Jun 2020 6:27 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

When my D4 went into LR dealer for the belts to be done, 2 days after I got it back it started sounding like a load of spanners in a cement mixer.
Turned out a tensioner bolt had snapped on the rear belt pulleys and they blamed a manufacturing fault in the bolt.
My belief (and I could be wrong Whistle ) is that
a) they overtightened the bolt when they changed the belt and sheared it
b) they just checked the tension on the rear belt and adjusted it
z) they never changed the belt in the first place and took their chances

but to be fair to them, they didn't argue at all and it spent 10 days in their workshop with the body off all at their expense and they only charged me parts cost to replace the flexi brake hoses all round which were due anyway
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #215269610th Jun 2020 7:52 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Glad it worked out well for you...I also have a degree of sympathy for the dealers/ indies in certain scenarios...those of us who self repair will also know how much of a problem a seized bolt can cause..its not their fault that a bolt has been rusting away on your vehicles for the last ten years...

Had a devils own job this weekend taking the seized exhaust clamps off an Audi R8 V10.. it was one of those jobs that you knew as soon as you touched it the bolt would shear... and it did....twice..
What was a really really simple job then turns into a saga!

Post #215270210th Jun 2020 8:58 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

old seized bolts is one thing and understandable, but this was supposedly a brand new bolt put in by LR

However I cant complain as the dealer was excellent on their post service support
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #215270810th Jun 2020 9:50 am
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

When I get quotes for work before it is carried out, I always ask about the possibility of problems when I think tyhere might be.
For example I got two quotes from gearbox companies (incl Bristol) and as mine is a V8 and possible/probable need to drop the exhaust, who pays if the bolts snap in the manifolds? Both companies said it was their responsibility.
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #215271210th Jun 2020 10:05 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Glad it worked out well for you...I also have a degree of sympathy for the dealers/ indies in certain scenarios...those of us who self repair will also know how much of a problem a seized bolt can cause..its not their fault that a bolt has been rusting away on your vehicles for the last ten years...

Had a devils own job this weekend taking the seized exhaust clamps off an Audi R8 V10.. it was one of those jobs that you knew as soon as you touched it the bolt would shear... and it did....twice..
What was a really really simple job then turns into a saga!

Bit OT but...The Lamborghini engine! Is it yours? Were you just changing the exhaust or doing something else?

What a cracking engine. Not sure if they still are good value but a couple of years after the S8 was launched you could get a hell of a lot of car for not too much money.
 PAGODA  
Post #215280810th Jun 2020 4:07 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Little bro’s.... changing the rear box for a fully active sports box...yes everything has both the Audi and Lamborghini emblem on it.. monster car and beautifully built....

Most interesting was the equivalent of our swinging counterweights on the D3 on an R8 is what can only be described as a lump of resin/concrete looking substance plastered onto the rear end of the gearbox...

Post #215287910th Jun 2020 7:51 pm
Washwipe

England 

I have a bit of sympathy for whoever is doing it, if it goes in for Glow Plugs and they end up having to remove heads.
One of our vans went in for Glow Plugs and we were advised there was a high chance that it could become very expensive if they shear when removing, thankfully they all came out fine.

After a rethink, if whoever is the LR dealer, I don’t have the sympathy for them.

Post #215288310th Jun 2020 7:59 pm
Kooky1976

Well I have another update to this saga.

The car went in Tuesday for the '1.8hrs' work. I was asked to come collect the car today (Friday) as the work was now complete. I collected and 19 miles down the road, low and behold I have the same fault it went in for 4 days ago.

I drove it straight back and now have a courtesy car indefinitely while they come up with an (apparently) no cost fix. Will be interesting to see if they stick to that.

The initial suspicion is that they changed the wrong 1 of 6 sensors.

I have a shiny new Disco Sport HSE for now but I miss the 4 already!

Post #215344312th Jun 2020 6:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >