DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Dead disco 3 :-( flickering/dimming lights, unable to start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
andbeacha

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Dead disco 3 :-( flickering/dimming lights, unable to start

Hi,
Got in the car last night and it started fine but the suspension stayed in the access/low setting. Decided to stop and turn it off to see if that would reset everything...then tried to start it and there was no turnover + all the lights went crazy and then the only dash lights that were working were the parking brake light (flashing on and off) and the alarm indicator (flashing twice every few seconds). Also some strange noises and the alarm kept going off. Managed to jump start it eventually after turning over for quite a while. Decided to charge the battery last night to see if that would sort it but the same thing this morning- no turn over and lights dimming/flickering.

I'm thinking it could be the battery but then its been working fine up until last night and surly charging over night would at least keep it going for a few days?

Only other thing I noticed recently was the alarm indicator flashing while I was driving it the other week, and the parking brake is screeching when its engaged.

Any ideas/similar experiences (I cant see anything quite the same in other posts)?

Cheers,
Andrew
 Discovery 4
Missing my: Defender 110 2.2tdci 

Post #84900319th Oct 2011 8:45 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It does sound like a knackered battery, have you had it checked? If its reached the end of its life, it may not recharge properly.

Also. as its not a traditional lead acid battery, you can't charge it properly with a normal charger.

Post #84900519th Oct 2011 8:52 am
andbeacha

Sounds like a plan to try changing the battery over first...just wanted to make sure before forking out £ for a new one!

I put on the battery charger on last night and it has a simple led meter on it and it was showing it had some charge but definitely not full.

I guess I was just surprised/confused that it went from working fine to being completly dead! I didnt realise you couldnt charge them properly with a standard battery charger so thanks for that. I will try a new battery and go from there...
 Discovery 4

Post #84901219th Oct 2011 9:04 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

my moneys on the alternator is FUBAR which in turn has lead to the battery doing a "dead parrot " which would also explain why it was fine last night, then this morning goosed as the car will drain what is already a nearly drained battery due to the alternator not charging the battery during any driving Thumbs Up

Did you ever notice the "red battery light" staying on longer than normal after starting him up over the past few days Question

If you have AA/RAC or similar, yer need to get um to come over and check - otherwise you end up knackering a new battery when fitted at the best part of £100.

As for yer old one, forget it as you've run the living daylights out of it and will no longer perform as good. Big Cry

Word of caution, dont just think by sticking a new battery on even though it will seem all is well drives/acts well - unless you get the alternator checked at the same time. My advise would be to ring up yer LR dealer parts dept, get the upgraded battery paid for over the phone and put to one side for collection asap as everyone will be after it and the only way you'll get mobile will be to have the new battery "next day delivered" to the dealer at an extra 10-15% of RRP. Whistle

When yer there, just ask the service guy whether someone can just check the alternator whilst fitting the battery Whistle

Another reply from the "been there, seen it, done it " forum member Rolling with laughter

Post #84908119th Oct 2011 11:09 am
andbeacha

So I got the new LR battery (local LR dealer had it in stock)...£148 Shocked ...only slight reassurance is that it has a 3yr warranty. Swapped it over and everything was back to normal.

I never noticed the red battery light coming on before, which was one of the reasons I was unsure if it was the battery.

Good point about the alternator...I dont really fancy spending another £148. I checked the voltage of the battery before starting (above 12v) and with the engine on- seems to be up at 14v which would suggest that the alternator is charging. I'm probably going to get it checked just to make sure- could probably do with a diagnostic check to see if anything else is being picked up.

Thanks for the help/advice!
 Discovery 4

Post #84952920th Oct 2011 8:03 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

you should have asked for allegiance discount circa 10-15% ISTR Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #84958020th Oct 2011 10:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >