Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Dead battery!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
TheWhippet

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Dead battery!!

Came out to the car this morning and she wouldn't even unlock!! Eventually was able to get in using the actual key and get the bonnet open. Put CTEK charger on battery, a couple of seconds later it showed 1 light on the charger and then the car responded to being in proximity with the key.

After 3 hours charging I had 3 lights on the charger and was able to fire up the car. Took it for a 1 hour drive up the M5 and back and reconnected the charger. Still showing 3 lights.

Have now driven to work and will see if she behaves this evening.

Any thoughts on what this could be. It is a brand new Exide Battery put in by the Indie when I had the problems earlier in Feb. Anything I can do or get to check the battery condition firstly. I do have a BT IID and it normally shows up 12V on the dashboard when connected, but after the charging today is showing 13V, dropping to 12.7 when I switched on headlights.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.
 Tony

Post #192905422nd Mar 2018 2:08 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If the engine was running when you did these checks the alternator has shot it, leaving the battery connected with a faulty alternator can ruin your battery.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #192907222nd Mar 2018 2:53 pm
TheWhippet

Engine wasn't running...
 Tony

Post #192908122nd Mar 2018 3:39 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The dash display is not accurate.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #192908222nd Mar 2018 3:41 pm
TheWhippet

Ok...thanks. I will see what happens when I return to the car at 5:00 pm. If it starts I'll run her home (~25 miles) then put on the charger again. I'm hoping it won't show a drop in the charge indicating that the alternator is at least functional for now.

However, I don't need the car tomorrow so will put it on charge overnight and all day tomorrow and hopefully it'll resurrect the battery. I'm also going to invest in a charge pack...any recommendations for one?
 Tony

Post #192908422nd Mar 2018 3:45 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You really need to use a multi meter to check the battery, and the alternator. I guess you've not had a red battery light while driving?
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #192910922nd Mar 2018 4:55 pm
TheWhippet

Until yesterday there was no sign of trouble. It had been sat since Tuesday evening.

I've had the battery on charge for about a day now and the green light has lit on the charger.

I'm going to do a long journey tomorrow with night driving on the way back so if the alternator isn't charging I should know either on the way home or on Sunday morning when I put the charger on to see what the charge level is.

How easy is it to change the alternator? Is there a write up somewhere on here I could reference? Thinking for a couple of hundred quid it might be worth changing anyway.
 Tony

Post #192928523rd Mar 2018 8:25 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I ain't got an IID tool but I use one of those cheap chinese ciggy lighter meters to keep an eye on voltage when out driving. They are fairly accurate.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #192943323rd Mar 2018 4:39 pm
M3DPO

TheWhippet wrote:
Until yesterday there was no sign of trouble. It had been sat since Tuesday evening.

I've had the battery on charge for about a day now and the green light has lit on the charger.

I'm going to do a long journey tomorrow with night driving on the way back so if the alternator isn't charging I should know either on the way home or on Sunday morning when I put the charger on to see what the charge level is.

How easy is it to change the alternator? Is there a write up somewhere on here I could reference? Thinking for a couple of hundred quid it might be worth changing anyway.

If it is the alternater I hate to say it but you will more than likely be coming back on a yellow truck Big Cry they tend to take the battery out with them as well.
Alternators are comparatively easy to change once you've got the fan off, you will need the correct tools to do it, mainly a Fan locking tool, a long 36mm open ended spanner and set of ratchet spanners preferably the floppy head type. Thumbs Up

Post #192944323rd Mar 2018 5:21 pm
TheWhippet

I'm wondering if it is as other articles suggest a case of too much electronics and not enough charging.

I've ordered some viscous fan spanners as it seems most jobs require its removal. If things look even remotely wrong I'll get a new Denso and replace it.

Also, I suppose it makes sense to change the belt at the same time...a Dayco one recommended?
 Tony

Post #192944523rd Mar 2018 5:25 pm
M3DPO

In your OP you say there was not enough power to unlock the car, if you had previously done a journey and locked the car up this is a sure sign there is something amiss greater than just a run down battery!
If you have towing electrics invest in an adapter to charge from there it makes life a lot easier and use it once a week in bad weather to keep your battery fully charged.
You will not be able to change the alternator without the tools I have previously mentioned, buy beg or borrow.
No need to change the belt unless it wasn't done at 115k mile service .

Post #192945123rd Mar 2018 5:40 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

D4mation wrote:
I ain't got an IID tool but I use one of those cheap chinese ciggy lighter meters to keep an eye on voltage when out driving. They are fairly accurate.

Yep, I have a couple of these and they are great for keeping an eye on the alternator's behaviour. For a couple of quid a pop they ae very, very useful. Plus you can "calibrate" the readout cf the battery terminal voltage by measuring the latter with a DMM, then taking off the widget readout at that time, then just doing some mental maths on the readout. Thumbs Up

To right of Anker USB block and above bottle. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #192947423rd Mar 2018 6:49 pm
TheWhippet

M3DPO wrote:

If it is the alternater I hate to say it but you will more than likely be coming back on a yellow truck Big Cry they tend to take the battery out with them as well.
Alternators are comparatively easy to change once you've got the fan off, you will need the correct tools to do it, mainly a Fan locking tool, a long 36mm open ended spanner and set of ratchet spanners preferably the floppy head type. Thumbs Up

If I buy the viscous fan tools (which I have) do I still need the long 36mm open ended spanner? If so for what?

Thanks
 Tony

Post #193105928th Mar 2018 3:16 pm
TheWhippet

DSL wrote:
D4mation wrote:

Yep, I have a couple of these and they are great for keeping an eye on the alternator's behaviour. For a couple of quid a pop they ae very, very useful. Plus you can "calibrate" the readout cf the battery terminal voltage by measuring the latter with a DMM, then taking off the widget readout at that time, then just doing some mental maths on the readout. Thumbs Up

To right of Anker USB block and above bottle. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Thinking of getting a display along with some switches to put into the overhead console. I'll then have the display wired straight into the switched live and have some switches for front and roof spotlights.
 Tony

Post #193106128th Mar 2018 3:18 pm
TheWhippet

So, no problems with battery or alternator since, but have invested in viscous fan spanners and these bad boys...

...just in case Smile
 Tony

Post #19333134th Apr 2018 1:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >