Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Daytime running lights.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Gouldian

England 
Daytime running lights.

Dealer says cannot be turned on on D4 GS. BUT LR tech. dept. says they can. Who is right, as it seems ludicrous to have a safety feature that will be law in 2012 that does not work, and handbook states that dealer can turn them on by using their software.
 On fifth Disco since 1990. Excellent all round vehicles.  
Post #7123165th Nov 2010 1:03 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

They can certainly be enabled. Whether the dealer knows how to do it is another matter altogether.

Post #7123365th Nov 2010 8:03 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

And don't forget there's a difference between having your sidelights on all the time (DRLs) and the LED fairy lights that are not actually fitted to your headlamp casings - those are just little blobs of glass, unless you've got an HSE! This may be what's confusing the dealer

Post #7123395th Nov 2010 8:16 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There's still a lot of confusion over this - someone at LR needs their Censored kicking for not communicating this properly to all of the dealers Evil or Very Mad

As Winger pointed out to me some months ago, the LED lights (if fitted) are simply sidelights. They are not designed to be DRLs at all.

For those with bi-xenon headlamps in their D4, there is however a modification that LR dealers are offering (at least over here) that re-wires the sidelights (i.e. LEDs) to always come on when the engine is running (they are wired into the fuel-pump feed if I remember correctly). The cost here is around 70 euros.

In response to the OP, as Winger says, DRLs can be activated on all cars by the dealer, but as per the D3, they simply use the dipped headlamps (not the sidelights). Thumbs Up

EDIT: Corrected spelling mistake
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Last edited by PaulP on 11th Nov 2010 4:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7123575th Nov 2010 9:15 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Glad you could remember what I said, Paul.........it's more than I can.

See here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic46635.html

Post #7127185th Nov 2010 9:48 pm
Gouldian

England 

Since my original query I have had confirmation by email from LR HQ tech. that DRL's can be enabled on GS model. Turned up at Dealers to raise a "Technical Reference" with LR as suggested by LR and guess what, not possible despite there actually being LED's within the headlamp. Nothing in brochures to say LED's don't work on particular models and handbook states unequivically that Dealers can activate them. Extraordinary that a sensible safety feature will only work, it appears, on HSE models with Bi-Zenons if specified at time of ordering. What is the point of having such lights fitted that don't work when all new cars must have them by 2012. Can only be an exclusivity marketing excercise for LR and those who feel the need for often expensive/unecessary extras.
Post #71500211th Nov 2010 4:07 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Gouldian,

If you'd read the replies that we had made to the thread you started, you would have seen that LEDs are only fitted to bi-xenon headlamps, not halogens.

Also, the LEDs are NOT DRLs - they are simply sidelights. They were never designed to be Daytime Running Lamps.

The halogen headlamps don't have LEDs....it may look like they do, but they do not.

Your contact in LR HQ was correct in telling you that DRLs can be enabled on ALL D4s, bi-xenon or halogen, but it seems they forgot to tell you that the DRL implementation in the D3 and D4 simply uses the dipped beam - not the sidelights (LEDs or incandescant sidelight bulbs in your case).

Quote:
Nothing in brochures to say LED's don't work on particular models and handbook states unequivically that Dealers can activate them.

Not correct - dealers can activate DRLs.....but as we said the LEDs are not DRLs - they are simply posh sidelights in the D4s fitted with bi-xenon headlamps.

I do however agree that LR have made a complete balls-up with the communication of this feature.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #71500811th Nov 2010 4:16 pm
Gouldian

England 

Paul P - Many thanks for response. I guess many like myself who are not technical will have seen all the new Audi's with what appears to be LED "string" lights that are on during daylight. Looking at the same feature on D4's one might reasonably deduce that given the similarity, the same such lights would be known as DRL's on said vehicles as such a description seems apt. I now appreciate that in fact the little individual light bulb in the front together with the "string" circular LED's in the rear are the DRL's and my Dealer can indeed activate these. The posh LED's on D4's with Bi-X's are switchcable on/off according to the drivers whim.
It might have been less confusing had LR in their literature referred to what we all know historically as sidelights and made it clear that for those who wanted LED's as an additional feature they would have to order them as part of an extra lighting package.
Incidentally LR has advised me verbally that this has been the subject of many customer complaints and that the 2011 models will have LED's working. We will see!!
Post #71506111th Nov 2010 5:59 pm
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
Incidentally LR has advised me verbally that this has been the subject of many customer complaints and that the 2011 models will have LED's working. We will see!!

I have a 2011 model and it doesnt. exactly the same issues as the 2010 model.

I reckon the 2012 model will have brighter LEDs to meet the DRL requirements. Why they didnt put the bright LEDs on from the start to meet DRL requirements rather than make them sidelights is anyone's guess.

Post #71525311th Nov 2010 11:37 pm
mack1979

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

There's a lot of info about DRLs on this site which are wrong. It isn't all new cars from Feb 2012 which have to have DRLs - it is only new models. The D4 was out long before that so until it gets some major work and is classed as a new model they don't have to fit DRLs at all. The Germans were rather ahead on this, which is why Audi/Merc/VW etc have all got them (often just by having the foglights on all the time on the cheaper models). Interesting to see when/if LR do add them. Still don't really understand point of signature lights - if they're a signature wouldn't you want them visible all the time, not just when the driver switches on sidelights???

Post #93669530th May 2012 7:59 am
rustedandrotten

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
DRLs

My 2012 Year Model SDV6 XS is same so no progress there then, pretty Censored poor as when I bought this to replace my old D3 SE I expected comparable, not a retrograde step: no electric seats, no rear heated seats, no arm rests etc etc, self deflating drivers seat and has had to have a new metering unit and has just started fluffing again, not impressed!!

Post #94227314th Jun 2012 3:12 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

Some one on here has fitted a LR drl mod and if i recall it means cutting out a part on either side below the bumper and fitting if i am right a row of a leds in the gap look pretty good but expensive for what they are !!
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Post #94235714th Jun 2012 5:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Those are genuine DRL's and also a dealer fit as an option. (about £600 ISTR)

In LR's defence, the fairy LED's around headlights were always referred to as 'Signature lights' and simply replace the sidelights.
Thumbs Up

Post #94246214th Jun 2012 8:35 pm
slick91

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi all new to the discovery scene so be gentle lol,

Quick questions regarding DRL's I have just bought a 2010 D4 (facelift) and they dealer has switched on the DRL's on receipt it says Scandinavian settings. My question is this now you've cleared up the posh side lights questions. When DRL's are running should my rear lights inc number plate lights be on? I was under impression not.

Also not for this thread but has anyone had issues with the Alarm keep going off and the Panoramic roof being cracked? The dealers has us piggy in middle whilst they fight it out with a well known windscreen replacement company who say its already been replaced.

Had a choice between an XC90 and Disco 4 and having had to trade my Jaguar XF premium luxury in due to safety issues with child seats Im staring to wonder whether pushing the Disco rather than the XC90 was the correct decision Rolling Eyes Women and Children BAH lol was gutted either way to trade in the JAG.

Since they are both owned by TATA i thought the Disco would be just as good…. Question Question Question

Thanks all for they assistance…

Disco is away again so we'll see if the faults list get repaired…

sorry if I'm hijacking this thread… Bow down

Post #135729913th Oct 2014 1:08 pm
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Just trying to get my head around this. I know signature lights are different.

Were DRL's law from 2012?

My MY2013 ( March) doesn't have them - as far as I know

Or am I misunderstanding ?
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #135730113th Oct 2014 1:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >