Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

DASTEK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
blackbeltbob

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
DASTEK

has anyone had the DASTEK power plug fitted to their D3?
If so, is it any good?

Post #2120685th Oct 2007 1:27 pm
n1cktdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: DASTEK

Had one on my D2, was very good and if you sell the car you can remove and sell on....have a Turbochip on the D3 and it's Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE....Probably, but not quite decided yet.
3.6 TDV8 Vogue
XC90 SE Lux
A8 Quattro TDi
D3 SE 

Post #2120835th Oct 2007 2:10 pm
JMC

Scotland 

General wisdom for the D3 is not in favour of the Dastek.

This has been done to death on the forum so if I might suggest that you click the search link above and type in Dastek, then you will find all the answers to your questions...... Wink
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #2120905th Oct 2007 2:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco4x4au

Australia 

Actually, this is a question that has never been convincingly answered. I tried to get a logical response from the advocates of ECU remapping as to why a modern, well-designed plug-in was so inferior, but none of them provided a rational explanation. I'm still waiting ...........

I have to admit that in the end I settled for a remap myself, but that was primarily because it was being sold by my dealer and therefore supported, which I considered important. But I still cannot see any a priori reason why a plugin could not be as effective as a remap - and they _are_ a lot cheaper.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #2121075th Oct 2007 3:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Check out this thread to get some basic technical input on the difference between remaps and boxes.
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #2123095th Oct 2007 9:40 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

disco4x4au wrote:
I have to admit that in the end I settled for a remap myself, but that was primarily because it was being sold by my dealer and therefore supported, which I considered important. But I still cannot see any a priori reason why a plugin could not be as effective as a remap - and they _are_ a lot cheaper
Firstly, ask yourself why the price difference Wink  
Post #2123145th Oct 2007 9:47 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

10forcash wrote:
Firstly, ask yourself why the price difference Wink

Mmm - that seems a little flippant. I imagine a lot of it has to do with market pressures. In reality, given a captive market place, a remap should be of the order of $400 ~ $500 - it's only an IP issue and the fact that the market will sustain a greater pricing threshold that makes them as expensive as they are.

All other things being equal (and we've argued before that there is _no_ reason why a plugin cannot monitor all the signal inputs that a remap touches), plugins, given their physical reality, should cost _more_ that remaps, don't you think?

So why are remaps so pricey???

Cheers,

Gordon
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #2124806th Oct 2007 12:15 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
who cares

maybe no one gives a toss ,i for one would not want to sit on the hardshoulder in the pouring rain trying to remove the box before LR assist arrived Whistle

Post #2126206th Oct 2007 9:49 pm
JMC

Scotland 

If it were that easy to simply plug-in a little box of wonders then I reckon all the vehicle manufacturers would do it Confused

OTOH, a remap makes a lot more sense from a technical perspective as it extracts more from the engine by narrowing the tolerances which are built-in a standard engine to cater for a wide variety of markets and fuel qualities found throughout the world.

For myself, I remain totally sceptical of any type of Halfrauds claim on a small box of tricks professing more power and improved economy. I've heard that a few side stripes makes a D3 go faster too...... Laughing
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #2126446th Oct 2007 10:30 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Explanation?

Not to repeat what has been said elsewhere, (I believe, but there are 211,000 posts and searching tends to develop beard growth on the waiting chin...).

10forCash and others at Tong gave me a very simple explanation.

A remap changes the response commands from the CPU to the engine, hopefully to what YOU want rather than what LR THINK you want.

A plug-in fools the CPU by altering the messages from the sensors. OK in the middle of the operating range but prone to throw wobblers at extremes, or away from the "norm".

That decides it for me.

Andy
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #2126526th Oct 2007 10:49 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 
Re: Explanation?

But this assumes that the box applies a simple linear algorithm. There is no reason that it should - although I admit that I have no idea whether any of them do or not. However, that's not the point, I'm merely stating that theoretically, there is no reason why a remap should be so much superior to a plug-in box. Whether plug-in box manufacturers have taken the necessary steps to impliment these sorts of advances is another matter, but I don't think _every_ plug-in box designer in the world could be as brain-dead as the remap vendors are claiming.

JMC,

Both your points apply equally to either a remap OR a plugin, so I don't see the relevance?
Cheers,

Gordon

Post #2127407th Oct 2007 1:16 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

AndrewW wrote:
That decides it for me.

Andy - what did you think of the test drives from both tunes that you tried at Tong?
Just interested as to your opinion. Appreciate that the test drives were probably curtailed and not as long as you'd of liked them to be, but i'd be interested to hear Thumbs Up

cheers

Post #2129067th Oct 2007 10:01 pm
JMC

Scotland 

disco4x4au wrote:
Both your points apply equally to either a remap OR a plugin, so I don't see the relevance?

Next time you watch F1 on telly, see if you can count the number of teams who plug a little box into the cars engine versus the number who stick it on a PC...... Wink

I've had a TurboChip from day one and I'm a contended little piggy in the brown stuff. Your money - your choice Rolling Eyes
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #2129307th Oct 2007 10:38 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I would think one reason for the price difference would be the re-map involves service. The bloke has to download the changes to the mapping and will give back up servie if it is wiped or fails.
The box is pre-manufactured and you instll yourself or have to pay more for someone to do it.
The consensus appears to be that re-maps are better but by how much.
Gordon you are lucky your re-map is supported, if there is no support where you are a re-map could end up being wiped and your hard earned gone.
Who did your re-map and are they oz-wide?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2129457th Oct 2007 11:23 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

caverD3 wrote:

The box is pre-manufactured and you instll yourself or have to pay more for someone to do it.
The consensus appears to be that re-maps are better but by how much.
Gordon you are lucky your re-map is supported, if there is no support where you are a re-map could end up being wiped and your hard earned gone.
Who did your re-map and are they oz-wide?

Mine was offered to me by my dealer - I believe they use Powerchip in Adelaide. Very happy with it so far.

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #2129598th Oct 2007 12:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >