Dan_NL

D5 or RRS2

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Dan_NL on 20th Apr 2019 11:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #184989922nd Aug 2017 9:24 am
J77

Scotland 

Depends what your needs are?

I haven't driven the RRS2 but I own a D5 SE but 3.0. I like the D5, it's a very useable car, plenty space and a comfortable cruiser. They ain't perfect and a few things I would like to see improved over model years but I'm happy enough with mine overall. Owners who have the 2.0 say it's competent enough and fairly economical. If you need info on the D5 pop over to disco5.co.uk. Some owners have suffered a few issues, my one has been in for two recalls and it's to go away for 4 days to get a piece of poorly fitted trim fixed. Other than that it's been fault free.

One thing with the D5 though, it does lack a bit of soul. And as much as I like it, I don't have the same connection/love for it as I did with my 4 and I don't really see where the £54k went on it and not sure if I would rush out to buy another, for my uses a regular estate may be my next ride.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green 

Last edited by J77 on 22nd Aug 2017 12:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #184992622nd Aug 2017 12:09 pm
Dan_NL

How does the D5 compare with the D4 you had before ; its still a D4 logo you have with your name...

Post #184992722nd Aug 2017 12:16 pm
J77

Scotland 

Can only have D4 logo on this site.

The two are night and day, the 4 is traditional LR, more agricultural whereas the 5 is more Range Rover levels of comfort with a price tag to match.

Loadspace, to me, is fine, spacious enough and the large tailgate hasn't caused me any problems though in certain circumstances I do miss the split tailgate.

Rear seating, there is more legroom than the 4, though others dispute that, though they are lower than the 4 but I've not had any complaints.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #184993222nd Aug 2017 12:30 pm
Dan_NL

Thanks ! So my D3 is even more agricultural... Laughing

I pay € 250 per month in roadtax, not GBP 220 per year as you lot do...

Also, a quite basic spec D5 will cost me € 85.000,- .... ..due to eco taxes on it..

Post #184993422nd Aug 2017 12:36 pm
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would do the RRS 2,
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #184994322nd Aug 2017 3:34 pm
Syd

United Kingdom 

No brainer RRS 2 Thumbs Up
 In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Down and out's Velar
In UK - Dare not say on this Forum
Gone - Lots of Lode Lane vehicles.
- Beta User 

Post #184994422nd Aug 2017 3:41 pm
Dan_NL

Who did actually drive a D5, except voor J77..?

Post #184998322nd Aug 2017 5:24 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Dan_NL wrote:
How does the D5 compare with the D4 you had before ; its still a D4 logo you have with your name...

My D4 (MY15) was a lovely car and did everything I wanted. The D5 is a massive step up and does far more than the D4. A lot of people say the boot is smaller, it is actually wider at the bottom but does narrow more at the top than the D4 did. However I have just come back from France where we took the caravan and I filled the boot with exactly the same stuff as we did in the D4 and more.
To sum up D4 lovely car but D5 far better.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #185009222nd Aug 2017 9:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

Read this post from someone who has gone from a RRS to a D5

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread706.html
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #185009422nd Aug 2017 9:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Both cars are excellent but for different reasons really ... and you need to decide your lifestyle as to which one is applicable.
I own a RRS 2 HSE Dynamic and have run this car for 2 years and 62,000 miles. It is an awesome car and has proved perfect for me. As you can tell from the mileage I do lots of long runs. I have not owned a car that has proved such a perfect cross continent machine than the RRS. It's awesome at swallowing the miles at speed in sublime comfort.
Practicality: my only criticisms of the car is boot space and if your carry a lot of equipment or luggage then you will become adept at stacking like a master...

So if you were going away for the weekend to a ritzy hotel with the family then no question I would take the RRS.... if I was going camping for the weekend with the family then the D5...

I own a D3 G4 and had a late D4 that were far more practical than the RRS...at load ability...

What must be said and hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet is performance.. the RRS is super fast and the handling is excellent. You would not believe the speed you can take some corners in an RRS that you would not dare to take a Discovery at half of that speed....

So overall ...buy an RRS and send the kids by train! Very Happy

Post #185017823rd Aug 2017 8:52 am
jimbg

United Kingdom 

The boot space was the main reason I switched from an RRS to a D5.

Comfort wise I would put the D5 ahead of the RRS, but the RRS is faster and more nimble.

I can only justify one car, so it had to be the D5!!

Post #185022023rd Aug 2017 11:41 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
My D4 (MY15) was a lovely car and did everything I wanted. The D5 is a massive step up and does far more than the D4. A lot of people say the boot is smaller, it is actually wider at the bottom but does narrow more at the top than the D4 did. However I have just come back from France where we took the caravan and I filled the boot with exactly the same stuff as we did in the D4 and more.
To sum up D4 lovely car but D5 far better.

When you say the D5 'does far more than the D4' what is it that you feel it does far more of ?

Post #185023823rd Aug 2017 12:17 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Both cars are excellent but for different reasons really ... and you need to decide your lifestyle as to which one is applicable.
I own a RRS 2 HSE Dynamic and have run this car for 2 years and 62,000 miles. It is an awesome car and has proved perfect for me. As you can tell from the mileage I do lots of long runs. I have not owned a car that has proved such a perfect cross continent machine than the RRS. It's awesome at swallowing the miles at speed in sublime comfort.
Practicality: my only criticisms of the car is boot space and if your carry a lot of equipment or luggage then you will become adept at stacking like a master...

So if you were going away for the weekend to a ritzy hotel with the family then no question I would take the RRS.... if I was going camping for the weekend with the family then the D5...

I own a D3 G4 and had a late D4 that were far more practical than the RRS...at load ability...

What must be said and hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet is performance.. the RRS is super fast and the handling is excellent. You would not believe the speed you can take some corners in an RRS that you would not dare to take a Discovery at half of that speed....

So overall ...buy an RRS and send the kids by train! Very Happy

Sorry would have to disagree with some of that.
Speed on paper the RRS is 0.9 seconds quicker 0-60 and has the same top speed as the D5 On the road you would not notice that 0.9 acceleration difference unless you were driving on long straight roads in America.
Handling, the D5 is no slouch around the corners and handles far far better than even the latest D4's, having driven a RRS and a D5 both very recently I would say that there is not a lot in the handling and in fact having had a little bit of a spar with a RRS recently he could not get away from me and in fact around the bends got in my way, that may well b down to the driver
Overall I would agree that it is down to what you want a car for, but for a family who tow a caravan and do alot of other activities the D5 pips the RRS everytime
D4 camera club 

Post #185054623rd Aug 2017 9:35 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Lifted from the D5 owners forum
Scotland 2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Farallon Black
I had FFRR on a twisty country road tonight. Did not flinch. Gripped like superglue and brakes were really good. Not as good as the Brembos on my Sti but hardly any body roll. D5 is like a being in a boat ⛴ in comparison.

It's apparent that some of your fellow D5 owners appear to disagree... Very Happy

Last edited by Farmer Chalk on 24th Aug 2017 8:07 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #185058624th Aug 2017 6:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >