Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

D4 wing mirror cover removal - 2014 onwards
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
D4 wing mirror cover removal - 2014 onwards

As per subject line anyone know the best way to remove the wing mirror covers on the face lifted D4 with the bigger mirrors. Don't want to damage them really so need to know best tool to use and where to start with it?
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #207739920th Aug 2019 1:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

IIRC correctly I started with a pry tool at the bottom nearest glass of the cover and worked my way round Thumbs Up

But official guide shows taking glass out first to get to the tabs Thumbs Up
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #207740220th Aug 2019 1:41 pm
Ceekay

Thumbs Up

Post #207761521st Aug 2019 12:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ceekay

So popped these off yesterday only i wish it was just that! They didnt want to come off so decided to strip the inners down as per the LR pic and access the top tabs but believe it or not mine are slightly different mirrors Rolling Eyes The release tabs are enclosed by plastic moulded lugs so not accessible without drilling or completely removing the black surround at the front which works its way back into the mirror. Unscrewed every screw possible and lifted all clips visible stripped the glass, motor and motor carrier but still wouldn't come out to reveal the lugs like in the picture. Eventually after a bit of brute force and ignorance and with one or two clips released i got them off. It would seem there are screws behind the cover to release the front surround but that would not work as you would required to remove a cover to get to the clips that remove the other trim. Really strange and there was also a very slight difference between my left and right mirrors so perhaps one has been replaced in the past. Clipping them back on once painted should hopefully be alot easier .... in theory. Thumbs Up

Post #207871727th Aug 2019 12:02 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

There are a few versions of these mirrors. The early versions look the same on the outside but the chassis is one unit and these are a carry over from the L405 stock. The later version can be broken down further so that it’s easier to make a LHD and RHD mirror from parts by changing smaller parts. One of my Disco 4 mirrors was the early type but I swapped it for the later L494 type (by changing the mount only) because it had camera, Wade sensing, BSM and Chromatic mirrors. I have photos somewhere of them stripped to every single piece including wiring stripped down to be modified.

Post #207880327th Aug 2019 7:15 pm
Ceekay

Thanks for that thought that would be the case after tackling mine. Looks like they will hopefully just clip back on once painted so at least the hard bits done Thumbs Up

Post #207895528th Aug 2019 12:56 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

You need to refit them in the opposite way to the removal. They appear to not want to fit properly and then you do a little something and all of a sudden it just fits. I’ve got a broken clip on one of mine and it never effects how it looks and just pops off a little easier now.

Post #207900028th Aug 2019 4:19 pm
wizbongre

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sorry to raise this one from the dead...

I'm finally getting round to investigate our broken mirror, and need to strip it down a bit to figure out which parts I need to replace.

Reading this thread, it looks like I should be removing the mirror glass first... The image posted earlier isn't overly clear - is it saying I should just pull the mirror glass out? It looks like it has a number of tabs that locate in the mounting. Do I just put something behind it and pry it forward? I'm not overly worried about damaging it, as know I'll need a new one anyway. I don't want to damage the housing/surround or the memory motor if I can help it.
 Cheers,

Gareth

'57 D3 2.7 TDV6 HSE gone and soon to be forgotten!
‘15 D4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury
'64 Audi A6 3.0BiTDi Quattro S-Line Black Edition with lots of toys 

Post #212019611th Feb 2020 11:04 am
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

The way I do it is to push the side of the mirror nearest the vehicle into the housing to push outwards the other end. Then get your fingers in the gap, spread evenly over the back of the glass and pull. It doesn’t take much effort and they will just let go all of a sudden. When it’s popped off, carefully remove the heating element connectors making note (a photo) of which goes where. These corrode so you may need to prise the terminals off but lever against terminals and not the glass or the spade terminal will rip off the mirror back (if the mirrors goosed you don’t need to worry).

When you’ve got the glass off, take the long screw out of the mirror motor and you can now pop the motor out (you will likely need to prise it out as there’s 3 tabs securing it. Disconnect the green plug. With that removed you can now remove the cover. I start by using a plastic trim tool and lifting the bottom edge upwards near where the housing mates to the arm. It’s one of those jobs that you know is going to go wrong but you just have to give it your best. If some tabs break off it will be ok as just a couple hold it securely.

Once the covers off you can easily get to what you need, indicator, bottom cover, arm covers, mirror chassis are all easy to remove now.
 012MY RRS 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography (Current)
Mods:
TPMS (Complete but got an issue)
Genuine LR DRLs (Complete)
Remote Boot close from key fob (Complete)
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2 (Complete)
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (Now 2016 L319)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE (Complete)
2014 LR4 Homelink (Complete)
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass (Complete) 

Post #212021811th Feb 2020 11:52 am
wizbongre

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Perfect - thanks very much for that. Thumbs Up
 Cheers,

Gareth

'57 D3 2.7 TDV6 HSE gone and soon to be forgotten!
‘15 D4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury
'64 Audi A6 3.0BiTDi Quattro S-Line Black Edition with lots of toys 

Post #212022011th Feb 2020 11:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >