Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 V8 engine: shorter. Supercharge?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
D4 V8 engine: shorter. Supercharge?

From LR release notes: "The new LR-V8 is also more compact than its predecessors. Overall engine length has been reduced through relocation of the oil pump within the engine architecture."

I remember reading a post about 6 months ago where somebody discussed the possibility of putting the RRS Supercharged engine in the D3. The engine bay was too small / engine was too large by a few inches if I recall. Now that the D4 engine is smaller would the new supercharged engine fit? 'shock' ???
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #62277618th Mar 2010 4:26 am
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

The concept of dropping in the RRS Supercharged engine in a D3 might have been discussed in Matt_tdv6 's D3 rebuild thread.
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #62292118th Mar 2010 12:38 pm
tjp74

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

I am not sure why a RRS supercharged engine wouldn't fit D3 even if it was an older version. I mean engine is essentially a same engine with supercharger integrated into the intake manifolds and RRS shares same body structure as D3/D4. Whether it's 4.4L old version or new 5.0L engine, I would think external dimension for supercharged version and regular version to be about identical.

Anyway, I subscribed to the land rover tech info site and downloaded a very detail description on new 5.0L engines (it even descripbs Jaguar versions). Due to copyright restrictuion I can't share that but looking at the pictures and all, I can see that it's almost identical engine, just a eaton supercharger tightly integrated into the intake manifolds, lower compression and oil jets below each pistons. Even the top plastic engine cover is identical almost.

I think only issue one will run into is sourcing an engine from RRS especially a 2010 5L version. Once you got the engine, I am sure it will be a simple drop in and bolt on.
 TJ
2010 LR4 HSE Lux Plus White/Ebony <=Sold 2012
2000 Discovery II SE7 <=Sold 2011
2010 Prius w/Solar Roof <=Sold 2011 

Post #62309418th Mar 2010 5:49 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

It was mentioned that the front end of the D3 is a few inches further back than the sport, or was it the bulkhead is further forward Rolling Eyes
However i agree with your thinking that they put the same V8 lump in already and the supercharged bits are added on top. so physically it should fit.

However if you tried to fit a 2010 engine with its EMS, the EMS is designed for an 11 Bit Can Bus and the D3 is 29 Bit so it would not work. However if you fitted the pre 2010 supercharged engine & matching EMS, i am quite confident that the Vehicles Central Configuration File data can be altered to suit. It might not be possible on the standard CCF editor our MSV-2 equipment has for the D3, as the supercharged engine is probably not listed as an option in the D3 CCF, but it would be for the RRS and i would have to specially program the engine option value.

But if anyone is willing to attempt the job, they can happily and freely count on any help and expertise i may be able to bestow to help them out. Thumbs Up

Post #62311318th Mar 2010 6:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

3.6 TDV8 was the problem engine
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #62312718th Mar 2010 7:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >