Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 towing electrics removal - part 2 - refit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

That photo from Rimmers looks exactly the same as the photo I posted, I know that doesn't guarantee that they are the same but it seems to have the same connectors Thumbs Up

I think I will try and fit it to my car when I'm home next week and see what happens Laughing
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #154990124th Oct 2015 10:28 am
al cope

England 

Chaps

Had a brief look this morning, and the wires from the fuses head off into the main car loom that runs along the bottom of the space behind the side panel. The one fuse that wasnt attached at all to the trailer loom is spliced into the car's loom that runs up the lefthand quarter panel. The one fuse that was attached to the trailer loom was spliced into the blue/pink wire - any idea what that feeds?

Fairly sure now that these had nothing to do directly with the towing loom, and that somebody had just used this to connect something else

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #155000624th Oct 2015 2:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

So, it seems that for the D4 there are two different looms (13pin electrics)

First one is up to chassis number DA999999 (all the nines) and is £98 + vat (VPLAT0012), roughly end 2012 - not specifically from MY12, which started in Sept 11.

The later one from chassis number EA9999 (whatever) is £140 + vat (VPLAT0136)

why do they keep having to change things - its only a friggin set of wires for gods sake

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #155189727th Oct 2015 4:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
allyv

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

poss a tracker is fitted and this is where its spliced into power etc ??

Post #155193227th Oct 2015 6:01 pm
al cope

England 

dont care any more - its gone, p/ex'd yesterday Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #155193327th Oct 2015 6:04 pm
al cope

England 

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

So I'm now the proud owner of both looms:

My old one, the equivilent of VPLAT 0012, which I was told would not work with my car, and now VPLAT0136, and 140 quid lighter in my wallet

And guess what - THEY BOTH LOOK THE BLOODY SAME!!!

Same connectors, same connections!!!!!!!!!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Al

PS - just looked again, and I'm fairly sure the only reason the part number has changed is because the kit has a mounting bracket for the connectors, and the plastic ring that fits behind the socket has changed, but the wiring and sockets look indentical.
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #155276829th Oct 2015 2:18 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think I will give the set I have a go at fitting and enabling and see what happens, it sounds like they are the same Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #155411631st Oct 2015 10:53 pm
al cope

England 

Dan - it will fit - I fitted the new set I brought this morning, and the wiring is EXACTLY the same. The latest fitting instructions have you removing the rear bumper, but you only need to do that if you want to fit the plastic bracket that the 3 connectors clip in to (its the change in this plastic bracket and the ring for behind the socket that have given the MY14 onwards a different part number). You actually dont need it. The wires just feed down from behind the left hand light as before. I just added some foam around them just in case them rattled against the inner body work.

Now - is D4 like D3, in so much as tow electrics work in basic form, but need enabling to get the full functionality.

Thanks
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #15552873rd Nov 2015 12:46 pm
Hairy Dan

Cheers Al I will get round to fitting it soon Whistle Bow down
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #15554023rd Nov 2015 4:59 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yes as far as I'm aware you need it enabled to get the full functionality e.g. disable rear pdc and disable car rear fog lights when connected.

Post #15554613rd Nov 2015 6:11 pm
al cope

England 

thanks, thats what I thought - will have to get one of the chaps on here to hook it up.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #15555053rd Nov 2015 6:59 pm
ajp888

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Hi my new toy my10 has grey and black which I wish to convert over using the kit noted above. They want 70 pounds for a electrician to re wire so not bothering and will install new loom.

Little help - what functionality does a hse have for towing, noted above is no fogs or parking sensors, etc are there any other functions I should be aware of? Do I need to do any changes to the cars CCF

Cheers

Post #162436513th Mar 2016 12:40 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

When I got my D4 I discovered someone had robbed the lower part of the tow wiring from the vehicle. As I was not expecting any wiring at all I was pleasently surprised to get the upper part already fitted. So I just plugged in the lower part of the wiring I had removed from my D3 and all works fine.

The two part numbers for the 13-pin and the 2x7-pin seem to share a common upper section, and the lower section does not seem to have changed from D3 to D4.

So, I have an upper section left over if anyone needs one. (Obviously whoever has the removed bottom section from the D4 needs one!).
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #162450513th Mar 2016 1:37 pm
400-ascona

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I just wired the electrics up on my 2016 D4 without removing the bumper as suggested. I figured tie wraps instead of the bracket would be better than risking scratching paint or snapping clips by removing the bumper. It’s a bit tight getting hands in, but it’s all secure and ready to be programmed once I receive the code for the GAP tool I borrowed.
Good advice thank you!

Post #20437156th Apr 2019 3:44 pm
Steamyrotter

United Kingdom 

discoteca wrote:
But it still doesn't explain what the extra wires and fuses that were fitted to Al's were for does it?

May not be relevant

On some of the earlier BMW 13 pin looms they didnt wire it completely so sometimes either the permanent live or Split charged switch ilve were not there.

Could be why someone has done that to an early loom??
 If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking Censored .. OSmile 

Post #204683118th Apr 2019 1:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >