Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Parking brake fault - advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
walsie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Parking brake fault - advice please

Hello everyone, hoping you can give me some advice regarding the repair of my parking brake.

I have a 2005 disco3

The parking brake has started screeching when engaged and was jamming, i managed to release it by moving the car forwards slightly and took it immediately to my local garage. They have taken a look but have not been able to hook it up to a diagnostic because they dont have the necessary LR software.

Having said that they have informed me that a replacement is around £635 plus labour!

I have found that there is a common fault with the actuator and either a simple case of replacing cogs inside the motor. the garage have said they would be happy to look into this but i want to go to them prepared and show them that they only need to strip the actuator motor down and use whatever parts needed from the repair kit.

Is this true? is it a simple fix with a repair kit and is there any need to have anything reset by LR?

Thanks

Post #216372427th Jul 2020 9:50 am
rangehelper

United Kingdom 

1. inspect and maintain the Parking brake pads and mechanisms. This is the main cause of the malfunction! Remove rust and grease. 2. Check the brackets (hooks) that hold the Parking brake cables (left and right). They are rubbed and cut through the cable sheath. The cable gets wet and it turns sour. Further...look at the circumstances.

Post #216372727th Jul 2020 9:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steam

Luxembourg 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Re: Parking brake fault - advice please

walsie wrote:
Hello everyone, hoping you can give me some advice regarding the repair of my parking brake.

I have a 2005 disco3

The parking brake has started screeching when engaged and was jamming, i managed to release it by moving the car forwards slightly and took it immediately to my local garage. They have taken a look but have not been able to hook it up to a diagnostic because they dont have the necessary LR software.

Having said that they have informed me that a replacement is around £635 plus labour!

I have found that there is a common fault with the actuator and either a simple case of replacing cogs inside the motor. the garage have said they would be happy to look into this but i want to go to them prepared and show them that they only need to strip the actuator motor down and use whatever parts needed from the repair kit.

Is this true? is it a simple fix with a repair kit and is there any need to have anything reset by LR?

Thanks

Have you fixed it? I came into same problem couple days ago and the garage will charge me 900euro +labour to fix it, what they can do is replacing the whole electrical parking brake module.

Post #218068717th Oct 2020 5:44 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Last time I had an issue with it screeching , the brake shoes, not the actuator, just needed a good clean and adjustment. No new parts required.

Post #218069317th Oct 2020 5:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >