DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Broken studs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Carl and Petra

France 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Broken studs

Hello all.

I have two broken studs on my water pump following my own muppetry!

So, in order to get a drill onto the broken studs i needed to remove the fan and fan shroud to get access. A shout out here to Powerful.uk who i got the locking spanner and 36mm spanner from. These tools made removal a doddle.

Click image to enlarge

Following fan removal i spent a morning undoing about 15 coolant hoses and a load of awkward bolts to get the shroud off!
That was easy enough….just a wet pain!

Click image to enlarge

Once i had access I was pleased that i could actually get a drill in there to start drilling a hole into the centre of each stud so i could go about drawing them out.
The right hand stud started well but the angle I had to hold the drill made it tiring so I paused for a bit and had a go on the left stud. Suprisingly this just spun further into the hole and thinking that if it spins in on being drilled i stopped immediatly and have ordered some left hand drill bits and when they arrive i am hoping it spins straight out.

Click image to enlarge

Before I left the car though I did think that I do have a small hole drilled in the right hand stud and if the left hand one spun easily maybe this will too. So i pushed a tiny allen key into the hole I had drilled and lo and behold it spun right out. Bonus.

Click image to enlarge

One tool i did buy to make the job easier was a centering holder for a drill bit to ensure the drill bit did not slip off the stud into the engine block, that would have been a right pain!

Click image to enlarge

I will update further when the left hand drill bits arrive.

Post #23574552nd Jan 2024 3:19 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

An Irwin screw extractor will soon have the broken bolt removed, you might also be lucky to tap it out by using a fine punch and rotating the broken bolt by hitting it to rotate it out with the direction of the thread, if the bolt hasnt been massively overtightened it should rotate out with a little patience
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #23575403rd Jan 2024 10:31 am
Carl and Petra

Cheers Darrind. Overtightening will not be an issue. The whole problem was, i believe, me loosening the bolts ( two of the three) by mistake thinking i was loosening the bolts on the cam belt cover.
I can not get a punch on the bolt to tap it out as it span in further when drilling hence me now waiting for my left hand drill bit to spin it out.

Post #23575553rd Jan 2024 11:26 am
Carl and Petra

Left hand drill bits arrived, very much looking forward to cracking on with this but the dreaded flu has struck and until return of my mojo all is on hold.

Click image to enlarge

Post #23576954th Jan 2024 4:47 pm
Carl and Petra

Ok, the mojo is not back but i had to know so after an easy five minutes working on the car I am back on the sofa.
They worked.
I drilled into the stud for about two mm before it gripped and drew that stud right out.
The drill bit cut quickly and easily. It is not a massive test of its quality but the cutting edges of the bit are still razor like and sharp and with the way it has cut and the ease i would have expected it to cut deep enough for the extractor tool to be tapped in if needs be.

So…now all i have to do is put the car back together!

Click image to enlarge

Post #23578075th Jan 2024 4:57 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just a word of warning be very careful how you use those kits as you can easily make things a thousand times worse , believe me.

Post #23578866th Jan 2024 1:46 pm
Carl and Petra

Well all is done so no worries.But your comment Popsdosh is ever so valid.

I was concerned though as the last thing i wanted to do was have the drill skid off the sheared bolt and then drill into the engine block totally feckin up the threads and then having messed up the bolt itself making it a nightmare to drill into

So. I used two things to ensure i located the drill bit on the broken bolt so assist with a clean cut.
First was a springloaded centre punch to indent the broken bolt to give a solid purchase for the drill bit a ( this can also serve the purpose of breaking free the threads if they are a bit seized) and second..and i think more important was the centering tool that the drill bit runs through to ensure the bit can not wander off target and stays centered in the middle of the bolt.
Going slow, feeling the drill as it cuts.....constantly chaecking and going slow again is the key to not skidding the drill bit all over the place.

It is not difficult to do but can be a nightmare if you are not methodical.

Post #23578996th Jan 2024 4:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >