Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 Oil Level Sensor Reliability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mikeair

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
D4 Oil Level Sensor Reliability

Hello,

Just had the first experience of my first issue with the well know Oil level sensor issue on my 66 D4.

I recently checked the oil when cold and it showed full (sometimes it does read overfilled) - few days later on the M6 oil critical level warning flashed up.

Stopped & Filled up with 2 litres and then have been monitoring ever since and seems to be OK but I have lost trust in it. Why would there have been such a variation from full one day to a few days later critical!?

After a long drive today I took a reading using the instant read out and it varied between topping up with 0.5-1ltr - however, this was immediately upon stopping the engine.

There are no obvious signs of a leak, no warnings on the dash for a sensor fault and the vehicle was only serviced by LR chester in April (cam belt replacement + service)

I have asked local garage to complete an oil change to ensure the correct qty is in the vehicle.

Only other option is to take into LR for a diagnostic for which there is a £150 charge.

Any thoughts appreciated (I have read the other forum posts but thought i would share anyway)

Thank you

Post #235012511th Oct 2023 11:41 am
sub

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I had the exact same experience, but.... I managed to fit 5L in before realising what an idiot I'd been....

Luckily managed to get it drained at the indy.

Now I just pretend the gauge doesn't exist, and get the oil dropped 2x as often as recommended, every 6000 miles...

edit: If you're going to have the belts changed at somepoint, get them to do the sensor then.

Interesting. mine died after this service too....

Post #235030813th Oct 2023 8:00 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Re: D4 Oil Level Sensor Reliability

Mikeair wrote:
Hello,

Just had the first experience of my first issue with the well know Oil level sensor issue on my 66 D4.

I recently checked the oil when cold and it showed full (sometimes it does read overfilled) - few days later on the M6 oil critical level warning flashed up.

Stopped & Filled up with 2 litres and then have been monitoring ever since and seems to be OK but I have lost trust in it. Why would there have been such a variation from full one day to a few days later critical!?

After a long drive today I took a reading using the instant read out and it varied between topping up with 0.5-1ltr - however, this was immediately upon stopping the engine.

There are no obvious signs of a leak, no warnings on the dash for a sensor fault and the vehicle was only serviced by LR chester in April (cam belt replacement + service)

I have asked local garage to complete an oil change to ensure the correct qty is in the vehicle.

Only other option is to take into LR for a diagnostic for which there is a £150 charge.

Any thoughts appreciated (I have read the other forum posts but thought i would share anyway)

Thank you

I sympathise with your challenges there but the option you don't list is your best....

Take your vehicle to a trusted independent and not a Stealer, sorry Dealer...

In my view some of your issues are that you are relying upon the Dealer technicians which many upon here, myself included will say from experience are little more than money spinners for the Dealership.

I cannot help you with a suggested independent as I am no where near you but others on here probably can.

If you completed your profile so we can see what year and model of D4 you have that would help.

Good luck and just in case it isn't clear, I'd move out of the Dealer network for servciing and fault finding...
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #235032513th Oct 2023 11:28 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have just gone through similar issues my D4 would read full half full plus in between the two I took photos it went into dealership they topped the oil level up, but it continued the dealership had it a week and half saying no fault after complaining and asking if they could put a experienced mechanic on the job so they put a mastertec on the job he took the plug off the sensor to find it leaking, it’s all been resolved under extended warranty, and I have finally got rid of the XC90 hire can thank God

Post #235036414th Oct 2023 12:42 pm
Mikeair

Many thanks for the helpful responses.

My profile is complete and I did mention it was a 66 D4 Oxford-boy but yes, I agree it maybe time to consider local indies to help with the issue.

Post #235052716th Oct 2023 10:09 am
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

My apologies... I can see why you are currently with the Stealers with a 66 plate.

I do recommend you find a trusted independent though. It should be well worth the move...

Good luck.
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #235054116th Oct 2023 1:37 pm
Mikeair

Very Happy

Post #235054516th Oct 2023 2:07 pm
Carl and Petra

France 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I do not trust it at all.

So, using the suck out point on top of the engine i have a wire that i use to dip the oil. When you have changed the oil so you know the quantity is right i fed a wire down, following comments somewhere here, one of those net curtain flexible wires. And i marked the level.
That is now my fail safe dipper.

Found it….have a look here.. https://disco4.com/forum/emergency-diy-dip...t=dipstick

Post #235054916th Oct 2023 2:32 pm
kirkyworld

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The sensor swap is about an £800 job at an independant if not covered by any warranty.

Post #235055116th Oct 2023 2:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >