Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

D4 never ceases to amaze.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Russell

United Kingdom 
D4 never ceases to amaze.

D4 never ceases to amaze me. Took kids to Devon for half term along with caravan. Site was good but pitch was on a steep bank/hill. Caravan hitch was way up in air and front propped up o position blocks, but had no issues getting it into position with D4. Good week down there apart from very poor weather, very heavy rain all week, come to end of week and we are ankle deep in mud and a Freelander cannot even get across a flat part of the field without caravan on the back. This does not look good for getting our large TA van off the steep hill. Site offered to tie rope to back of chassis and tow caravan off backwards, not keen on this. Decided to try getting the van off myself but to add to issues another van is direct in front of ours so cannot hook up and drive forwards. Have to back in at angle, hook up and then turn between van in front and electric bollard.
Selected low range and HD and reversed up field, by now a few are out watching the attempt I am about to make but no offers of help. So my lad guides me back into position and we slowly lower hitch and remove wooden blocks until the car and caravan are one. Hand brake off caravan select reverse and attempt to push caravan uphill and off levelling blocks expecting much wheel spinning, but no, car and caravan move with no issues, Mark pulled both blocks out and I then attempt to move forward and through the gap, no issues what so ever and off the field onto the road with no problems much to the amazement of all those watching even the Freelander driver.
Car was faultless and effortless throughout the week despite very poor weather conditions, floods, very muddy fields and a bit of off roading.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #9979523rd Nov 2012 11:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don't criticise or under estimate Freelanders, on two different occasions while on Land Rover off road days I have seen Freelanders go up wet muddy inclines that both Discoverys and Defenders failed, on the first occation at Ashover we thought the hill was for motor bike trials, I later went up the same slope with a Freelander and 4 people in it, they are phenomenal in mud but of course are limited with ground clearance.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #9980104th Nov 2012 9:42 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #9980144th Nov 2012 9:53 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It's not jut the D4 Russell, much is also down to the drivers assessment and application.
Well done. Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #9980154th Nov 2012 9:53 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Doesn't it make you feel good Very Happy

Post #9980254th Nov 2012 10:18 am
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

Top story Thumbs Up

Nice thinking, "this car is mine" Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
 2023 Ineos Grenadier 3.0 Diesel Commercial
2022 Mini John Cooper Works Hatch
2021 Golf MK8 GTD
1978 Land Rover SIII
1993 Range Rover Classic 3.9 V8

2007- Range Rover TDV8 - SOLD
2020 - Discovery 5 3.0 SD6 Landmark - SOLD
2020 - Defender 110 D240 First Edition - SOLD
2012- Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE - SOLD
2009- Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS - SOLD
2007- Discovery 3 TDV6 GS- SOLD
2001- Defender 90 Td5 - SOLD 

Post #9980284th Nov 2012 10:30 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

What tyres do you have on the D4?
 PAGODA  
Post #9980314th Nov 2012 10:31 am
twoakers

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Great posting Russell especially how your D4 copes towing a TA Caravan Thumbs Up
We too had a similar experience with our D3 towing our 1.8 tonne TA Coachman on and off a flooded CL back in May.
The farmer said he would tow us off with his big green tractor Rolling Eyes
Like you being fiercely independent, we hitched up, engaged low ratio 2nd gear and went for it.
No wheel spin or fuss just grunt and straight across his field leaving some nice muddy ruts Whistle
All this on Continental road tyres Laughing
Now must post the video onto the gallery.....
 Cheers, Dave in Essex
D3 07 TDV6 HSE
Clubs - Turbo changed, EGR valves replaced, General Grabber ATs, Hawkeye FC reader, Front/rear wishbones, manual gearbox change, autobox flush, cam belt change, HPFP belt change, oil pump change....
Coachman Laser 650/4 caravan
Amateur Radio Callsign - G8PAI
Playing with Big Boys Toys! 

Post #9980384th Nov 2012 10:50 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

M3DPO wrote:
Don't criticise or under estimate Freelanders, on two different occasions while on Land Rover off road days I have seen Freelanders go up wet muddy inclines that both Discoverys and Defenders failed, on the first occation at Ashover we thought the hill was for motor bike trials, I later went up the same slope with a Freelander and 4 people in it, they are phenomenal in mud but of course are limited with ground clearance.

Was not critasising the FL I know they are very capable I was using this as a reference to how bad things were. As for tyres they are standard D4 road tyres. We were with friends with a D3 manual and that coped just as well.
There were other so called 4x4s there, some from Nissan and Kia just to make a couple but all were struggling solo and did not see any manage to move vans off.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #9980394th Nov 2012 11:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
twoakers

A friend and neighbour of mine who lives opposite bought a Freelander off of eBay earlier this year Shocked
He didn't take me with hime to look at it before parting with his cash...
He asked me to look at it because the 4 wheel drive wasn't good
We got it over my inspection pit and immediately saw that it had no rear propshaft or viscous coupling Big Cry
They are great little Land Rovers.....

But for really serious 4WD action you cant beat the Terrain Response of D3 and D4
We was at the Suffolk 4x4 day in Roughham last year in a D3 HSE
The modified Series and Defender guys scoffed when we lined up to do the off road course in a standard D3 Whistle
Afterwards they mumbled something like "it coped very well" Rolling with laughter
 Cheers, Dave in Essex
D3 07 TDV6 HSE
Clubs - Turbo changed, EGR valves replaced, General Grabber ATs, Hawkeye FC reader, Front/rear wishbones, manual gearbox change, autobox flush, cam belt change, HPFP belt change, oil pump change....

Post #9980434th Nov 2012 11:22 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

As others have said the car is not the overall answer, it certainly helps. However, tyres and the way you drive also helps, having done some off roading with others from this forum I have learnt an awful lot of very useful knowledge on what to do and what not to do. I am sure this helped some what along with the excellent vehicle as well.
However the point was originally made because I have seen how easily wet grass can bring all cars to a stand still and was sure that the wet grass and steep hill plus the caravan would bring the D4 to a stop, but it did not. Perhaps it was too wet, as the car was actually sinking through the grass, perhaps it was just the electronic magic, or perhaps it was the tips and knowledge I have learnt from all on this forum Bow down Bow down . I do not know which but at the end of the day it got me off the field and on the way home Thumbs Up . I would have helped others off but they had either not got ready and were going to be an hour or so before they were or they had already booked slots with the sites tractor and tow rope to the chassis, somthing I was not personally keen on and would have only used as a very last resort.
D4 camera club 

Post #9980534th Nov 2012 11:46 am
twoakers

.......a lot of it is the 'nut behind the wheel' Rolling with laughter
 Cheers, Dave in Essex
D3 07 TDV6 HSE

Post #9980564th Nov 2012 11:50 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

If it's the Wranglers you have on the D4 (which mine came with) then I'm especially impressed. I haven't found them to be particularly good at anything much. Perhaps I'm being ungenerous. I'll go and get the car stuck later to check!
 PAGODA  
Post #9980584th Nov 2012 11:52 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

twoakers wrote:
.......a lot of it is the 'nut behind the wheel' Rolling with laughter

In that weather in a caravan over half term with two tennage kids you are probablly right Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
D4 camera club 

Post #9980594th Nov 2012 11:54 am
pinhead

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

The weight of the disco helps a lot for towing
We are currently using 4 tractors at work hauling spuds from the field 2 at around 150hp and 6.5 tons and 2 at some where between 250 -290 hp and 10-11 tons the small tractors are really struggling even when the trailer is only half full but the big ones just walk straight out without a fuss
Although I have had 1 stuck in a very wet field
About the worst conditions I have ever witnessed for lifting spuds
 Club original turbo
161k and counting
general AT's, oval timer, blanked egr's, silicone intercooler hose's 

Post #9980674th Nov 2012 12:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >