DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 EPB Questions for the experts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
D4 EPB Questions for the experts

I have some questions for the experts.

You may have noticed I have been posting in another thread about judder being caused by the EPB (http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic146552.html). During my investigation a few point have cropped up.

1. The IID Tool EPB I/O section allows the parking brake to be moved to the "MOUNTING" and "LATCHING" position. Is MOUNTING the same as "Service Mode" and LATCHING the normal position?

EDIT:- ANSWERED BELOW.

2. After fitting new shoes, do I still have to bed them in as per the D3? I assume I do as the system is, as far as I can see, the same as the D3. I have tried the routine as described in Bodsy's brake bible but I can't get any message appearing confirming I am in the bedding in mode. Is the D4 any different in this regard.

EDIT;-EVENTUALLY MANAGED IT.

3. In an attempt to stop my brakes juddering, I put the EPB into mounting mode and then pulled the 30amp fuse but the car wouldn't then start. The starter would kick in very briefly but then would stop before the engine had a chance to fire - almost as though the battery was flat. Why would that be? Putting the EPB into mounting mode certainly stopped the shudder but I assume if I apply the EPB switch it will go back to its normal position.

EDIT;- I NOW KNOW WHAT CAUSED THIS BUT DONT KNOW WHY.

Thanks in advance for any answers. Hopefully a new set of shoes and springs etc will cure the judder.

Last edited by HughMartin on 2nd Jul 2016 8:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #167359427th Jun 2016 11:24 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mounting position extends the cables fully, to allow easier fitment of the shoes, and enables correct adjustment. Latch position is normal

Bedding in procedure is exactly the same as D3, but if it doesn't work, try switching the ignition on (with your foot off the brake pedal) and attempt bedding procedure
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #167375727th Jun 2016 7:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HughMartin

Thanks DM. I've tried arming the bedding in process with engine on and engine off but with ignition on. I'm not getting any message to indicate that the bedding in process is active.

Any thoughts on why the engine wouldn't start with the 30amp fuse removed?

Post #167376827th Jun 2016 7:52 pm
HughMartin

I think I have answered Q2 and Q3 by trial and error.

Ref Q2, I cleared all faults and low and behold, bedding in cycle becomes available as advertised.

Ref Q3, it's a strange one. I pulled the 30 amp fuse again while the engine was running and noticed the fuel guage read empty. Also a "Reduced Power" message was displayed. I stopped the engine and it wouldn't allow me to start again. This is as described in the "Running out of Fuel" section in the owners manual. Exactly why pulling this fuse causes the fuel guage to show empty, I don't know. Putting the fuse back in again allowed the fuel guage to read normally.

Post #167381727th Jun 2016 8:45 pm
HughMartin

Just changed my epb shoes and I made the big mistake of not taking a photo before I started to dismantle.

I used Bodsy's Brake Bible which of course is for the D3 (but the D4 is essentially the same). My D4 has an extra spring and I'm not sure if I have fitted it correctly.

Here is a photo of it on the offside unit

Have I got it fitted correctly? There are two holes in the backplate and each shoe has a hole so I have the option of rigging the spring to pull the rear shoe forward or the front shoe backwards. Which should it be? I can't find any reference to this extra spring in the D4 Maintenance manual but a couple of new ones came with my new shoes from Advanced Factors along with all the other bits and bobs.

Post #167468829th Jun 2016 3:00 pm
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I am sure that is an erelevant Spring for your installation, I have seen a similar post before, the kit is obviously for another installation as well which does use it.

Post #167485529th Jun 2016 8:15 pm
HughMartin

Quote:

I am sure that is an erelevant Spring for your installation, I have seen a similar post before, the kit is obviously for another installation as well which does use it.

Thanks sputnixb51. I have heard this elsewhere and would accept it easier had my car not already been fitted with this spring. It could be that the shoes have been changed before and an over enthusiastic LR mechanic has fitted it by mistake.

Post #167489029th Jun 2016 9:15 pm
sputnixb51

I have done X two D3 EPB shoe replacements neither needed that particular Spring. Maybe for FF RR it is also similar

Post #167490129th Jun 2016 9:39 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

They are fitted to a certain MY of D4/RRS. Not essential, but if it's in the kit, you may as well fit it Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #167490429th Jun 2016 9:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HughMartin

sputnixb51 wrote:
I have done X two D3 EPB shoe replacements neither needed that particular Spring. Maybe for FF RR it is also similar

It's a D4 not a D3

Post #167493129th Jun 2016 10:38 pm
HughMartin

Disco_Mikey wrote:
They are fitted to a certain MY of D4/RRS. Not essential, but if it's in the kit, you may as well fit it Thumbs Up

But the question is, which shoe should the spring be attached to. Should it pull the forward shoe back or the rear shoe forward? It must have been added to the D4 assembly for a reason. If I had paid more attention when dismantling it I would know the answer Embarassed

Post #167493229th Jun 2016 10:43 pm
HughMartin

OK, I'm getting really confused now. I have found a diagram in a my2011 workshop manual which shows the two small springs. The confusing thing is that, if I am reading it correctly, it shows the ratchet adjuster to be at the top of the shoe assembly on the left hand brake unit and on the bottom on the right hand side. Bodsy's brake bible shows the ratchets to be the other way round, ie, the right hand side ratchet adjuster is at the top of the assembly and vice verse on the left. Has LR swapped things over at some stage?

Extract from Bodsy's Brake Bible;-

Extract from Workshop Manual;-

Post #167508730th Jun 2016 11:04 am
HughMartin

Well, I've put my rear brakes back together and, so far, no repeat of the judder I was getting. I still have some questions outstanding which I was hoping the likes of Bodsy would be able to answer regarding the "extra" spring but, hey ho, I'm sure he is a busy man with a life outside land rovers.

I am coming to the conclusion that this forum is still heavily biased to D3 issues. This is not intended to be a critiisism, just a reflection of the fact that the D4 is more reliable than the D3 is and that maybe not so many D4 owners are into the DIY.

Last edited by HughMartin on 2nd Jul 2016 8:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #16758811st Jul 2016 7:13 pm
sputnixb51

I know it's D4 I can read! And apart from a few D4's as Disco Mikey says above D3's and D4's are the same in this EPB area and even if physically a bit different the principles remain the same, as for Bodsy well he has been asking for update information on later models so that he can do an addendum to his very useful and useable Brake Bible, glad you have got yours sorted.

Post #16761012nd Jul 2016 11:10 am
Dave T

England 

They all wear brake parts! I didn't notice any difference in any of the D4 brakes over the D3 except for size, although my epb shoes had totally worn away after one disc change at 40k miles ish. There had been no sign of any judder.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #16763723rd Jul 2016 3:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >