DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

D4 how do you clean inlets manifold?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sergeivl

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 4
D4 how do you clean inlets manifold?

Hi everyone, just open my inlets manifolds and found this

How do you clean this? Is it to big job to removed and clean or just any way to clean without removing manifold ?
Thanks

Post #215450516th Jun 2020 10:26 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Its best to remove them as otherwise debris is going to be sucked into the engine. There's a bit of work involved as the injectors have to be removed but its easy enough. Pay attention to the torque values when reassembling, and take plenty of pics before you start if you are not used to working on the engine.

Soak the covers in heating oil/paraffin or engine cleaner and power hose them thoroughly. Allow to dry completely before reassembly. Best to replace the gaskets with new, but do not apply any sealant.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #215450816th Jun 2020 10:46 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Shocked
What are you running it on Bunker Fuel

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Not had them off on my D4 yet but was a day a side on the D3 going nice and steady.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #215450916th Jun 2020 10:51 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Use the most powerful top engine cleaner you can find. I've used this with good results on carbon buildup on other cars, although quite a bit of elbow grease was required. It was the best I could find and I'd recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-3007-Top...F1NBPKEKD4
 PAGODA  
Post #215451016th Jun 2020 10:52 pm
PROFSR G

Rolling with laughter
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #215451116th Jun 2020 10:52 pm
Sergeivl

Thanks for replying. Never done it before, not worry about cleaning, worry about taking a part. Are there any topics with explanations or step by step instructions how to take a part? What part do I need before I start? Thanks for help.
D4 2.7. 2011 done 167000km.

Post #215458517th Jun 2020 11:44 am
PROFSR G

It's a pretty much self evident procedure once you get started. The only parts you will need are the manifold gaskets, 6 new injector copper washers, and a new set of throttle body rear seals where it connects to the manifolds.

The precautions mainly relate to the high pressure fuel injection system. You must be scrupulously clean when handling these parts as even the tiniest ingress of grit into the pipes will spell problems afterwards. So blow off before you open the connections with brake cleaner and then compressed air.

Also cap the ends of pipes as well as all other injection components. The other danger area is the metal pipes on the high pressure fuel system. You need an open ended torque spanner to apply the correct values here. It can be done with ordinary spanners but be careful as a leak here will injure you such is the extremely high pressure!! Keep away once you start the engine then switch off. Only after 30 secs has elapsed you can approach and check for leaks and nip up any wet connectors.

To begin, and after the car has "gone to sleep" disconnect the battery earth cable. You will need remove the air filter intake and intercooler pipes. The EGR pipes and the coolant crossover pipe. (you will loose a small amount coolant) Then the electrical cons to the throttle body, glow plugs, injectors, & HPFP, knock MAP & sensors etc etc.

Then the throttle body, but be careful here not to force too hard as the seals become hard over time and you risk cracking the entry ports to the manifolds. If unsure you can leave it until you have loosened one or both manifolds which will give you more movement to pull it away.

Remove the plastic HPFP fuel feed lines & HP pipes, injector pipes, fuel rail pipes and injectors etc. Plug the injector holes to prevent anything falling into them. Once the manifolds are off plug the inlet ports for the same reason, and cover the exposed camshafts with a clean cloth. You can use masking tape to wrap the exposed fuel pump and other pipe connections.

If you are unsure take plenty of pics otherwise you will be head scratching trying to figure out which manifold bolt/clip/ or cable route goes back where! Push the new manifold gaskets into place and be certain they are seated correctly. You can brush on a smear of fresh oil to aid sealing when reassembled. Torque the manifold bolts to 10Nm and do it diagonally.

I looks daunting when you first see the mass of wires cable and pipes, but its not complicated. Be methodical and take those pics and you won't go wrong. Inspect the manifolds carefully as they are prone to cracking on the D4, or if your budget allows just replace them as you don't want to be doing this job again!!! If you're short like me it helps to drop the suspension to "access mode" making it easier for access and on your back. Laughing

I think I have covered most things here but if I've missed something someone else will advise accordingly. Best of luck with it Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #215461717th Jun 2020 1:14 pm
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hmmm. Taking off the manifolds is not a simple job. You are supposed to replace all the fuel pipes as they're meant to be single use. I admit to reusing the rail feed pipe as it was too hard to get to to replace, but replaces all the rail to injector pipes. Fitted new injector fitting kits.

My problem was I did the job in about 12 hours, but I forgot to put silicone sealant around the back of the cam cap and it then leaked oil from the back of the engine.

Just to clean the manifolds, I'd not remove the covers. Too much work for very little benefit.

Personally I've simply and very carefully cleaned out the sections that were within reach with a cloth and tools. You can't get in that far, but to be honest, you won't notice any different from it being dirty or clean, so that's a hell of a lost of work and cost to remove the covers for negligible result.

If you do it though, remember to post back about your experience!

Post #215478818th Jun 2020 4:18 am
Sergeivl

Thanks, I’m still thinking how I can clean without removing them. Maybe use strong vacuum cleaner to trying to suck it and the same time trying to clean with something.

Post #215486218th Jun 2020 10:28 am
PROFSR G

Yeah I forgot to mention the HP lines, hard to remember everything when you get to my age Rolling Eyes
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #215489918th Jun 2020 12:31 pm
DiscoJeffster

Complete timing cover too. I tried to do mine without and loosening it enough to lever it back to slip the manifold under it and it was very awkward.

Post #215520619th Jun 2020 1:29 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

leak off pipes are a pain as well - the clips still give me nightmares!
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #215521919th Jun 2020 1:47 pm
DiscoJeffster

Oh yes!!!! I pulled, poked and prodded at them trying to work out how they came off! I lost an hour on that until I found a post somewhere about how they unclip!

Post #215522119th Jun 2020 1:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >