DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 : Build-in CB radio & battery wires
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Droopy

Belgium 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
D4 : Build-in CB radio & battery wires

Hi all,

I've a Disco4 and want to build-in my CB radio (President JohnsonII). I looked at the interior but there are not much places where the CB radio doesn't bothers me and at the same time easy reachable.
I use the CB radio when i'm off roading so it's hard to build it in behind a cover, especially with the microphone and wire is attached to the CB radio. So not in the handglove case or in the mid-console case.
The only places i think of is above the handglove case or on top of the sealing. Does anyone have an other option? Does anyone have done it before?

I want also route some big battery wires into the interrior and mount a fuse box somewhere in the handglove case. The CB radio, dashcam, ..., can take power from there. I will also mount a 30Amp connector inside so i can use my compressor easily to pump up my tyres.
Is there anyone already removed the dash at that side to route the wires inside? I searched on the internet but don't find how to remove the dash of a disco 4.

Thanks for all information;)

Post #131211316th Jul 2014 11:10 pm
RRR207

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

What about the Cobra C75 WX ST?

It's a 'hideaway' unit as most of the electronics as designed to be out of sight, all the controls are on the slightly larger than normal mike.

Copied from Cobra's website ....... C 75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio with Weather and SoundTracker Noise Reduction System
 Nick

2010 D4 ....... now gone and replaced with a 05RRV Autobiography

Member of Wessex4x4Response, (Bristol team) 

Post #131374020th Jul 2014 7:47 pm
Avalon

Germany 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Droopy,

I opted for a slightly different solution than RRR207 suggested - I went for an Albrecht AE 6891 which has a remote mountable control unit. The advantage in my eyes, is that I have a pretty decent panel and I can use a mike that suits me.
I built a small "clamp" for mounting the control unit to the center console. The two parts are screwed together and hold the control unit in place without having to drill any holes in the center console. The main unit went under the passenger seat. Power for the CB is taken from the cigarette lighter. I have modified the relay, so that this is a permanent live feed.

Here are some photos:

The CB is mounted upside down, so the speaker is pointing upward. The sound quality is quite good. I am still looking for an unobtrusive mounting point for an external speaker.

Regards,
Olaf
 Disco4 V6 SC HSE (MY2014)  
Post #131382120th Jul 2014 9:54 pm
Droopy

Belgium 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Thanks both for the suggestions. Nice solution you think off, Avalon Thumbs Up Problem is that the CB radio President JohnsonII I have, is a full one unit instrument. I was not intended of bying an other one.
I tried to push the radio between the seat and the center console. It is very narrow but it is possible if you press hard. I only think that the seat will be damaged if someone will move the electric seat. And how about heat from the radio? Placing the radio more to the front is difficult because the center console starts to bend outwards.
Like you see on the photo, the position of the radio is nice : connecting the mike is easy, all controles nearby and the speaker is free at the frontpanel. It will be also easy to get rid of all cables. It is only a bit narrow to be perfect and not damaging my seat :s

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #131722528th Jul 2014 9:19 pm
Avalon

Germany 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Droopy,

if you want to keep your "full size" CB, then go and search through the D3 forums. If I remember correctly, a fellow forum member built a holding plate for his CB unit, which attaches to the seat rail and moves together with the seat. The only problem there might be your fire extinguisher.

Regards,
Olaf
 Disco4 V6 SC HSE (MY2014)  
Post #131822430th Jul 2014 11:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >