DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

D4 2015 two turbos replaced in 12 months
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
cornishboy

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
D4 2015 two turbos replaced in 12 months

Hey all,

Had a good look on here and forgive me for probably not having all the detail, but I can get more info.
A friend has a D4 2015 and owned it for 14 months. Full LR warranty etc and purchased from Stratstones. Car has 35k on the clock. Last year he had his turbo replaced and yet again 12 months on has been told a new turbo is required.

Obviously he is furious but not really mechanically minded. Again I do not know the diagnosis yet for the first or second one or which turbo it is..... more to follow.

My question is has anyone come across anyth8ng like this before? Seems odd for two turbos to go within a year. An6 thoughts gratefully accepted. Question

Post #196462017th Jul 2018 8:19 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It is not odd for two turbos to fail in a year if the cause of the failure has not been found and remedied, oil feed or lack of it is one of the main causes of turbo failure, it should be normal practice to replace all oil feed pipes when fitting a new turbo, but they are not always done to save a comparatively small amount.
Bad driver habits can also shorten a turbos life, put the two together and Big Cry
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #196465417th Jul 2018 9:03 pm
GLYNNE

England 

What are the bad driver habits if you don’t mind me asking ?

Post #196476118th Jul 2018 10:28 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

is it a "stop start" model ?

my youngest read something off t'internet a few weeks back where someone had been refused warranty cover on the turbo (not a JLR vehicle that I recall) because "(they) have been turning the engine off without waiting long enough for turbo to spin down" … his response was that that wasn't under his control as car was a "stop start".

Post #196477018th Jul 2018 11:01 am
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi
As said ^ turbos need oil, so bad for them would be getting worked hard then shutting straight down
So if giving it the beans give them chance to cool down a bit before turning off
And
Stop/start does not have to work against you, just be gentle on the brakes as you come to a stop and keep the engine running.

But if someone is not "mechanically sympathetic" they would just be booting it And braking heavy And just tiring off straight away Laughing
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #196477818th Jul 2018 11:34 am
M3DPO

As above is one, this isn’t a ritual as in sitting with the engine ticking over for two minutes before switching the engine off as manufacturers recommended a few years back but naturally allowing the turbo to slow down and not blipping the accelerator before switching off, the turbo rotor spins up to 20 faster than the engine (90,000rpm) and is propelled with hot exhaust gases, the rotor spins in a cushion of oil, once that oil supply is cut off by stopping the engine it is running metal to metal without any coolant(oil), in this state it’s life is minutes, just like running the engine without oil.
The same applies when starting from cold, how many drivers like to show their neighbours how fast they can accelerate first thing in a morning?- it not only shortens the life of turbos but engines and transmissions as well, all engines should not be driven in excess of 1/2 throttle (1/2 max revs) until operating temperature has been reached. LR do everything they can to help with heating the engine up quickly, by fitting thermostats, stopping the auto box from locking up and restricting high gears, even a FBH, but there is a limit to what they can do without aa little assistance from the driver.
Leaving the engine ticking over for several minutes on cold winters morning to warm the engine up is a fallacy and again bad for all the mechanics involved, engines and transmissions need to be working to generate heat.

Post #196478518th Jul 2018 11:52 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Whenever we pull in for a break when towing the tintent, after a minute SWMBO asks me why the motor is still running. I do tell her the reason but she always forgets, or doesn't really understand.

I ain't got stop/start but does a Discovery not disable it when it detects a trailer plugged in ?
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #196478918th Jul 2018 11:57 am
M3DPO

Engine has to be at operating temp and aircon off for SS to cut in Thumbs Up

Post #196479318th Jul 2018 12:11 pm
ROY_H

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I've been told that the engine used on the stop/start models has an electric oil-pump to avoid these problems.

Anyone know if this is true ?
 Morris Dancers: Drinkers with A Dance Problem  
Post #196481218th Jul 2018 1:17 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

M3DPO wrote:

stop start operates with aircon on on mine it just reduces aircon / vent output when engine switches off
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #196484118th Jul 2018 2:37 pm
Dave T

England 

M3DPO wrote:

Stop start works regardless of engine temperature, it might appear that way but more to do with the battery i think than temperature. It also works when air con is on, the compressor obviously stops, but the engine restarts if sat there too long and there is an air con demand, not sure wha5 actual parameters it looks at
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #196496418th Jul 2018 7:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dan_NL

M3DPO wrote:
..The same applies when starting from cold, how many drivers like to show their neighbours how fast they can accelerate first thing in a morning?- it not only shortens the life of turbos but engines and transmissions as well, all engines should not be driven in excess of 1/2 throttle (1/2 max revs) until operating temperature has been reached..

Exactly my thoughts when I went scouting for an F-Type... I eventually bought a P300 4-cylinder , one of the reasons that I didn't expect the engines of the used on offer -V6- to all together live long... When started it blasts into life with the noise of a snoring rhino... .. so in many places owners are no court ordered to start there cars inside a closed garage after 10pm and before 8 am !!! Not that I have a problem with neigbours as they all live more then 200m away.. But I don't like the machinery be bullied like that. Its hurts my engineering soul.. Crying or Very sad

Post #196497518th Jul 2018 8:06 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

ROY_H wrote:
I've been told that the engine used on the stop/start models has an electric oil-pump to avoid these problems.

Anyone know if this is true ?

I would say an internet myth

Post #196497618th Jul 2018 8:09 pm
lynalldiscovery

GLYNNE wrote:
What are the bad driver habits if you don’t mind me asking ?

In the good old days when turbos first came onto the mass market they were a tad fragile, so the then advice was to start the engine and allow to idle for a short time before driving and idle again when switching off.

But if you think about it people drive home and after shunting to get on the driveway/parking spot the engine has done more than enough slow speed work to be able to be switched straight off.
Only time this isnt true is after a motorway high speed work where heat soak might be an issue, but in reality you dont just pull off and stop the engine.

Turbos only really need two things to last well and thats oil and clean air.

Edittted four sphelling!

Last edited by lynalldiscovery on 19th Jul 2018 6:05 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #196497718th Jul 2018 8:13 pm
lynalldiscovery

Re: D4 2015 two turbos replaced in 12 months

cornishboy wrote:
Hey all,

Had a good look on here and forgive me for probably not having all the detail, but I can get more info.
A friend has a D4 2015 and owned it for 14 months. Full LR warranty etc and purchased from Stratstones. Car has 35k on the clock. Last year he had his turbo replaced and yet again 12 months on has been told a new turbo is required.

Obviously he is furious but not really mechanically minded. Again I do not know the diagnosis yet for the first or second one or which turbo it is..... more to follow.

My question is has anyone come across anyth8ng like this before? Seems odd for two turbos to go within a year. An6 thoughts gratefully accepted. Question

I think the one thing that everyone is forgetting it the D4 has TWO turbos, so it might not be the same one at all?

Post #196497818th Jul 2018 8:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >