Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

My D3 Spec Upgrade (very long)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Thanks for the help BBS Spy!!! The other thread with the MOST info is exactly what I was looking for.

Thumbs Up
 2005 LR3 HSE - ARB Bumper, Warn XD9000, Custom Rock Sliders and Skid Plates, BBS Faultmate MSV-2 Extreme, Kenwood TMD-700, etc, etc,
1965 Series IIA 

Post #76695325th Feb 2011 3:52 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You are welcome NDD, i am glad i could be MOST helpful Rolling with laughter

Speaking of which, I will of course be happy to help you too NickJ Thumbs Up
Yes, in order to be respectful to the board who has to host the images, and to try and reduce the bandwidth and load times of posts containing a lot of images, i make a point of reducing images i upload to the minimum resolution and size i can.

I do still have the original images i took when i did this upgrade and actually have a shot of the linkage at the top (the white bit, which i think is the one you may have the problem with) from a much better angle that also shows the link arm it attaches to. They are also in a very high resolution (12MP) but this makes them about 5MB each, so e-mailing them is not really an option.

I have however provided the best cropped shot i have of this linkage here
Click image to enlarge

I hope this proves sufficient for what you need to see.
Sorry it's a little fuzzy, but the focus in the shot was more the surrounding metalwork as you can see in the upper Right corner.

If you need more, PM me you E-mail address, i will see what i can do to crop out only the bits you need and reduce the resolution by only enough to shrink their size without loosing sufficient detail for what you want. If they are still a bit big, i will temporarily host them on one of my own web servers for you Thumbs Up

Post #76696525th Feb 2011 4:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the info Thumbs Up

I've listed some questions that will hopefully help me in my quest to decide whether to attempt stripping the car myself or to get the garage to do it (at nearly 90 quid an hour, fair enough, but if I can save the money then all the better).

1. Where are these linkages and the actuator motors? Are they behind - and here goes the best way of me trying to describe it - the vertical bit if the passenger is sitting in their seat (assuming that's on the lefthand side of the car) and their right leg would be against it, forwards of the centre console that houses the cupholders, gear selector etc.

2. If the above is the case, what's the sequence of dashboard removal? Hopefully it's not the entire horizontal main dash that runs across the width of the car? I've had the H-trim off around the controls and the satnav etc, and also the top trim of the centre console. If I kept going with the radio, heater controls etc then does the 'centre' section come out next or is something far bigger going to stop this?

You know what it's like, the fear of the unknown, whether spending hours breaking things results in getting nowhere becausde you've never done it before. The first time it takes four hours, the next twenty minutes (done that on boats!)

Thanks! Bow down

Post #76702825th Feb 2011 6:18 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

NickJ

I really do sympathize with your fear of the unknown, its quite common, but gees its only a collection of bits that are screwed together. It was near 20 years since i last pulled a vehicles interior to bits and i had no prior experience with a D3. just a toolbox and a can do attitude, It's really not some alien craft that was designed or built by some alien race.

Just keep a note of the order of removal of parts, use masking tape to keep screws removed attached to where they came from and markable freezer bags to collect screws in and mark what they are for and you really cannot go wrong. Use a digital camera if you need, to picture each step of the way so you can re trace it.

I don't believe you need to get the main dash top off, just the plastics after the H cover, although you might need to pull the center console out for this.

I cannot guarantee you success, but what i can guarantee you is that if you achieve it, you will definitely feel most elated and never again will correct heater functionality feel like something expected.

Warmest Regards

Colin

Post #76778527th Feb 2011 3:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks Colin, if the mood takes me and I feel brave I'll give it a go.

Post #76781327th Feb 2011 4:44 pm
Hugi

Switzerland 

great work!

it really encourages me to retrofit some stuff in my 2006 FFRR.

Seems like I need a faultmate for it Very Happy

Post #77678521st Mar 2011 11:07 am
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Wow... Great job Colin.

Can I try to tap into your undoubted knowledge?

I have a base spec HEVAC in my D3, but have acquired a top spec one from a breaker. Now, obviously, there are some major things missing from my car that this one can control:

1. Heated front screen - where does the connector to this go to (at the screen)? I don't expect the wiring and connector will be there though. Were they in yours originally?

2. Heated seats - lots of talk about these elsewhere. I'm not sure whether the wiring will be there or not (seems it may from other comments, but I may have to search for the connectors at the HEVAC end). I may look at non-OEM seat heaters for this, assuming I can find some that will match the I/O requirements of the HEVAC.

3. Cabin temp and sunlight sensors - there's no 'dome' on my dash, so I'm assuming these are probably not fitted at all. Seems they may not be 100% needed, but would obviously help the system work correctly. I'm guessing I could get some from TLO. Any indication on how hard they would be to fit when not part of the whole SE loom?

Any thoughts / suggestions welcomed...
 2001 D2 GS (I must be mad!)
2005 D3 S 10-12 (gone and missed) 

Post #77679521st Mar 2011 11:28 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Hugi

Glad my own efforts and post inspires you, as it has already inspired many others. Once up grading the Infotainment equipment was considered impossible, but as you see, i have shown that almost anything is actually possible, even taking a base spec vehicle to the highest possible with not a great cost, and now part up grades is an every day occurrence.

I did start a project to retro fit all the later stuff in my own FFRR, RSE, DVD changer, TV tuner etc, but that's now on hold for the moment and has been for a few months, I will however get back on it, hopefully before too long.

there is a web site for it here

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/IUI/home.htm

Yes you do need an MSV-2 to do this sort of stuff, as it's the only equipment produced that is capable of fully editing the CCF data.

In fact until we introduced it, few had even heard of the CCF.

Hiya Twelvesticks
Thanks Embarassed

1) Yea the unused heated screen connections are made on the drivers A pillar.
Really thick wiring that you cannot miss.

2) You need to get the wiring diagram from GTR/Topix and check the wiring is there on the seat connectors as well as on the Facia loom. The hevac not only drives the heater elements but also has temp sensor feedback too so i doubt retro fitting non OEM stuff is an option. I also recall the full Hevac ECU as having an extra connector.

Bear in mind i changed both my Main loom and my Facia one for versions that support the heated seats over ones that had it in neither. What you have in your vehicle is down to you to discover Thumbs Up

3) These 2 sensors were fitted in my Base Spec vehicle so i see no reason they would not be in yours

If you look at the picture of the centre dash speaker being fitted you will see the sunlight sensor dome.

You might need to do a bit of digging etc, but i am confident that the SE contains most, if not all, the wiring you need.
Thumbs Up

Post #77747822nd Mar 2011 6:05 pm
Gav00353

Ireland 

To try and add a bit of info on the hevac unit as ive just changed mine. there is as colin said an extra connector for the heated seats, which is not there on my s+ but the connector was there at the seat end, neither was the wiring for the sunlight sensor or the cabin temp sensor, I got the sensors from the dealers at around £26 for both and created a mini loom for them, the problem was getting the airflow past the sensor as there was no pipe for this behind the dash but I am in the process of fitting my own pipe to do this. I have the wiring diagram for the unit if this helps.

Gav.

Post #77765122nd Mar 2011 10:43 pm
TwelveSticks

Thanks for the info guys.

Gav: I take it yours is an Irish spec car, so mine will probably be the same Sad

If the heated seat connector is at the seat end, I wonder where do the wires from it go to Shocked

Post #77765322nd Mar 2011 10:47 pm
Gav00353

Ireland 

something i will be looking into, I'll let you know when I find out.

Post #77766622nd Mar 2011 11:30 pm
TwelveSticks

There is an extra socket in the back of the hi-line HVAC for the heated seat connector to fit into. If the connectors & wires exist under the seats, it would suggest that the wires at least run up behind the dash. I imagine the plug is fitted as well (in as much as I can't imagine them not fitting it if the wires are there). I read somewhere where someone had found the missing connector taped up well back down the loom, so maybe it just needs some courage and a bit more dismantling of the dashboard Shocked

Post #77777223rd Mar 2011 11:20 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Quote:
If the heated seat connector is at the seat end, I wonder where do the wires from it go to

Most likely to the Main loom to Facia Loom connector in the Passenger Kick panel area.

The question is if they are present in the mating Facia loom to Main Loom side of the connector?

I suspect you have a main loom with the wiring in, but a Facia loom that does not.

Easiest way is to replace the Facia loom, and from what i remember they were not that expensive new, but nowadays you should easily be able to find a second hand one.

This picture shows the Facia Loom, it's routing and how independent of the Main loom it is.

Click image to enlarge

For reference the Disco 3 mainly contains 8 separately available looms

1) The Main Loom, which connects to every other Loom and the CJB

2) The Facia Loom, which connects to the Main loom, CJB, Engine Loom and Infotainment Loom

3) The Engine bay loom, which connects to the CJB, the Main Loom, the Facia Loom, and the Chassis Loom

4) The infotainment loom, which connects to the Main Loom

5) The 4 door looms, which connect to the Main Loom.

6) The Infotainment Loom, which connects to the Main Loom and the Facia Loom

7) The Chassis Loom, which connects to the Main Loom and the Engine Bay Loom

8) The Roof Loom, which connects to the Main Loom

Post #77789523rd Mar 2011 5:34 pm
TwelveSticks

Thanks Colin,

That may come in very useful indeed Thumbs Up

Post #77809423rd Mar 2011 10:01 pm
desmullan

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Genius... nice one Thumbs Up

Post #107004811th Mar 2013 9:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top