Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

D3 Sat nav freezes if ignition is switched off.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
leahg1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
D3 Sat nav freezes if ignition is switched off.

New to the forum so apologies if this issue has already been covered elsewhere.

I own a 57 plate disco 3 hse. The sat nav works fine if you hop in, start the car, enter your destination and set off on your chosen route.

The problem comes when we need to stop for the obligatory wee or happy meal that comes hand in hand when travelling with 3 children.

Once the ignition I'd switched off the sat nav completely freezes; won't resume the route and the touchscreen part of the sat nav fails (touchscreen still works within the 4x4info screen, so ruled out problems with that). If you have not yet entered a route and switched the ignition off it will not let you past the "agree" screen.

We have tried a hard reset to no avail. I am now assuming I need to replace the dvd unit. I'm looking at buying the internal gubbins from http://opuradio.com/products-detail.php?ProId=542

Question is; am I on the right track? Anyone had this problem and got any other ideas?

Absolutely love my disco 3 but this little issue is an annoyance so I'd like to get it sorted.

Post #169269916th Aug 2016 11:07 am
HudsonLD3

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I am having a similar problem on my 57 plate discovery although sometimes it will freeze and not let me get past the agree screen even on first start up. Then eventually after what could be anywhere between 2mins to 1hour after start up the screen will flicker and then it will work again. Like you have explained mine also will work until you turn the ignition off but if you start the car back up shortly after the map will say frozen in that position and the sat nav is unresponsive, the rest of the display remains functional. I have tried cleaning the plugs up that go to the dvd unit with no luck. I have in the past removed the disk, cleaned it etc but last time I tried ejecting the disk it didn't want to come out. (yes i did unlock it)

I was thinking of buying a new updated disk from somewhere to see if that might sort things out. My maps are very out of date

I hope someone might have a solution. I haven't looked but I imagine the dvd units are not cheap and thats what I suspect is causing the problem Sad

Post #16999763rd Sep 2016 2:42 pm
leahg1

We occasionally get the problem at start up as well; particularly if we have opened the car and taken a long time to load up.

We have done all the obvious like cleaning the disc etc (also found that it would not eject despite being unlocked) and have also updated the maps. Updated maps run fine except for when we're having this issue.

I will eventually get around to ordering the part i listed in the above post and let you know if it fixes the problem.

Post #17003394th Sep 2016 9:29 am
andyhughes28

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Guys
Did you ever manage to find the problem
. i have exactly the same problem and tried new disc all clean and removed the unit and cleaned. looks like the unit runs for a long time after the engine and radio is switched off . when i then get back in the car and start it the unit does not power up. it’s dead until the car has been off for approx 1 hour.
any ideas how to fix .. ???

Post #217345812th Sep 2020 9:00 pm
leahg1

Yep easy fix in the end, switched out the dvd unit and had no further issues Smile I managed to get a reconditioned unit which wasn't too expensive

Post #217348713th Sep 2020 9:19 am
andyhughes28

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Much appreciated will have a look around for a replacement or possibly a repair shop . Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #217362413th Sep 2020 11:05 pm
Shane1000rr

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had exactly the same issues bought a secondhand dvd unit and all good now works a treat

Post #217379214th Sep 2020 8:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >