Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

D3 key repair?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
geoffsnook

Wales 

There's a guy who just became a sponsor on here that refurb's the cases Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic150037.html Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #170532813th Sep 2016 6:31 pm
Andym01207

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

No disrespect but the replacement cases are £5.99 from eBay and approx 10 mins to swap out...

Post #170568214th Sep 2016 11:25 am
geoffsnook

Wales 

Andym01207 wrote:
No disrespect but the replacement cases are £5.99 from eBay and approx 10 mins to swap out...

For the people who would never dare to try and do something or for those who break everything they touch Rolling with laughter
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #17163196th Oct 2016 6:01 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Slobbox wrote:
I bought one off amazon and it works a treat though it has gone up in price so maybe try eBay
amazon eBay

Right, we're going to take even more brave pills after doing cubby cooler box and change both fob cases. Getting the hang of this DIY malarkey. Just want to find a case that doesn't need the blank key cut, can the original blade be re-used in the Amazon or eBay ones above? Or anyone suggest a replacement fob case that deffo doesn't need the key cut? Is the battery an easy change at the same time or does it need soldering, welding or similar engineering type activities?

Post #172527427th Oct 2016 10:39 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Soldering required for battery change.

It highly likely you need to get a blade cut.

Post #172528927th Oct 2016 11:18 am
john ryan

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Just changed key cases with £5 ebay jobbies; the buttons were beginning to break up after 14 years, though the batteries are still both good. Replacement cases look perfect, and snap together with a final securing screw. There were some slight dimensional differences where the old key blade fitted the new chromed holder, and I had to file the tongue of each blade to get it to push in, before refitting the roll pin. I couldn't fit the old blade/holder as an assembly because the push button was too tight in the case. Straightforward job. SWMBO happy.

Post #191420313th Feb 2018 11:56 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

do you have a link to the one with a screw ?

Post #191420713th Feb 2018 12:11 pm
john ryan

Search 'discovery 3 key case' on ebay. First one, @ £4.98 delivered from Brighton.

Post #191424113th Feb 2018 2:04 pm
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Personally I wouldn't bother with a case. I did that three times. Just buy a new key and have a free evening to yourself.

1. First case didn't clip together meaning the glue couldn't hold it
2. Second case bought in response to a case that would stay together
3. Subsequently battery failure forced me to dismantle the second case again and then ruin the circuit board by de-tracking it because I used too poor a soldering iron. And spent hours trying to rectify that

If you have an IID tool you can easily pair one or more additional keys. New keys can now be bought for £20 delivered leaving just the cost of getting the blade cut

Link to the £20 keys I bought in this thread:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/iid-key-pairing-160912-15.html

Post #191425113th Feb 2018 3:12 pm
john ryan

I guess you are unlucky, or something else. The case I used clips together strongly, and for £10 and 15 minutes for both keys I am back to new condition, with the evening to spare. I don't have access to an IID tool, so wanted to avoid re- programming. The key blade is swopped, so no need to re-cut. No connection with the seller, but the product is good and I have retained the OE electrickery, rather than replace with aftermarket stuff. You pays your money............

Post #191427313th Feb 2018 4:12 pm
alexrose

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

I've just bought my first Disco (over the moon does not even begin to describe how I feel) and I need to sort out the key cases.

One key will be fine but on the other I can see that one of the surface mount switches is wrecked. Does anybody know a part number so I can order one in?

Post #194885528th May 2018 10:13 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

dealer will have parts...they are embarrassed that they are not lasting long

Post #194886228th May 2018 10:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alexrose

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

To be fair these have lasted 13 years (it's an 05) so I was really just looking to replace the SMT switch. Problem is there's thousands of types so it's a bit of a needle in a haystack. Guess I need to desolder a good one to get a p/n....

Post #194902929th May 2018 8:07 pm
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Key fob repair

Hi, I have just replaced both cases on both my keys, got mine from Amazon, just type in Discovery 3 key fob & the first 2 you should see are from a company called RKFUK, one is just the case for £12.95 the second one is the case plus a battery & the 3 switches for £16.95. These keys have the Land Rover logo on the third button, they are dearer than all the others on eBay but my experience is that it is a simple job & all the internals swap over really easily.
Now for how to do, just to say both my keys were cream crackered showing the circuit board on both unlock buttons. There are lots of posts about using a large bladed screwdriver to lever them apart, I tried this method at first, but was concerned that I might damage the circuit board or impale my hand with screwdriver, there are loads of utube videos showing you how to do this & the method I used to get old ones apart uses a pair of outside circlip pliers (had to go & buy a set of these £5), open the key & insert the pliers below the key blade as far in as you can get it, now the slightly scary bit close the pliers ( make sure you are working on a large flat surface as the bits could go anywhere) it takes a bit of brute force but the 2 halves of the case will come apart, the cases I brought have a snap link down both sides internally, swapped over circuit board, kept original key blade & pivot, used new release button as chrome had worn off on mine & new spring also new key ring attachment. When I put it back used one turn on spring, snapped case together but key would not flip out, opened case & gave it one more turn, this sorted it, it was a bit slow to open but after a week it has loosened up & flips straight open, happy that all was OK opened case once more, it’s realy good these snap together, then applied superglue down each side on these snap links & clipped them together, job done, first one took me about 20 minutes, did second one in 5 minutes, now have 2 keys that look exactly like factory brand new.

Just have to tackle some of the other jobs waiting to be done, passenger door not locking with remote, tailgate switch to be replaced, oh the joys of a Discovery 3. Still love it regardless.

Post #196542320th Jul 2018 11:16 am
Map503

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi all,

I recently used this company for key fob refurb:

https://www.keyfobrepair.co.uk/discovery-3-key-repair.html

They take the inners out, replace the battery and put into a new shell.

It was £22.50 plus postage.

Key turnaround was three days, I can’t recommend them enough, excellent service.
 Now gone - D3 Zambezi silver. Smoked / limo windows, various LEDs, DVD in headrest screens. Side steps, GG AT's, software and Bluetooth upgrades by Bodsy.  
Post #196544820th Jul 2018 1:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >