Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

My D3 journey begins
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 15 <123 ... 789 ... 131415>
DaveCav

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Looking good Kevin.

I have used Buzzweld plastics-in-one with good results before but it is around £20 a can.

Post #22452355th Aug 2021 9:19 am
Global Puffin

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm enjoying your updates Kev, keep them coming.
 2005 D3 V8
2010 MX-5
www.instagram.com/global_puffin 

Post #224603011th Aug 2021 12:48 am
classic kev

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Thanks for the support, I really appreciate knowing my ramblings help others or at least keep them entertained.

I'm not sure what will be next for my D3, oil pump/timing belt etc still needs doing and I'll certainly be happier knowing those have been done and realistically, I have done so many other fixes it would be silly not to do it.

The other thing I was thinking about was looking to see if I can modify my custom home-made winch and detachable mount to use on the D3. I originally "fabricated" the winch mount so I could attach it to the heavy duty steering guard on the Range Rover or plonk it on the tow ball but it doesn't work for the Disco so I may have to get the grinder and the welder out for some alterations.

Anyway, I'll post whatever I get up to.

Cheers!

Post #224604111th Aug 2021 7:50 am
DaveCav

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have just completed the timing and injector belt on my d3. Also fitted the fommoco oil pump and a new water pump.

Not the easiest job to be honest but it's done Smile

Post #224617312th Aug 2021 5:55 am
classic kev

Hi Dave, sounds like you've been busy. How long did it take to do the belts and pumps? Any tricky bits to look out for? Did you post what you did with pics.

You know the rules...... pics or it didn't happen Wink

Post #224642813th Aug 2021 5:06 pm
classic kev

Yesterday was a bit hit and miss weather wise so after having a quick blast round outside with the reach mower I decided to give the Benz a quick vac and dust down inside. As it is generally immaculate it didn't take long so then I thought I would attack the Disco!

For the most part, the Disco is quite tidy inside but I set to getting in to the bits under the third row of seats. It was going alright until I noticed a whole heap of nastiness stuck under the seats where you can't get to.

I gave it my best shot but it soon became clear the only answer would be to remove the seats. I decided I would do this another day and put away the vacuum cleaner but proceeded to give both cars a quick contactless clean.

Today is another day! Wet, miserable and generally uninspiring here in North Wales. I wandered around aimlessly for a bit, played with the fuse box on the tractor and contemplated what I might do today. I looked at the Disco and thought I would have a go at removing the third row of seats and see if I could get the nastiness out from between the seats.

I did a quick search for info on removing the third row seats and found a great video from powerful uk

It didn't look too bad so I got stuck in, removed the side trims and undid the bolts, the two front centre bolts were a bit corroded and were tight, the others all undid quite easily. It is possible to take the seats out on your own but be warned, they are quite heavy and it would be much better/easier if you have another pair of hands to help. Anyway, seats out !

Filth and nastiness lurks under your third row! Kids in cars..... shouldn't be allowed! (only joking). This was sticky and horrible. I also found straw and general dust and dirt.

As I took the seats out I heard a metallic sound of something dropping off Shocked Looks like somebody has been in here before, or maybe knocked the tool box over Question Either way, I have won a bit holder and an intriguing drill bit, not seen one like this before.

A quick application of multisurface cleaner and a wipe down followed by some vigorous vacuum action and things are looking good Thumbs Up

Then I spied more nastiness under the back edge of the boot. So I removed the flap that covers the joint between body and tailgate... it's only 3 small bolts so was well worth it, this is what I found

A bit more multisurface cleaner and vacuum action soon has it sorted; good as new Exclamation

Next I put the flap back on but not before I wiped out the tailgate seal. Watch out for the plastic retainers on the flap, they are easy to get in place, they just slide in but make sure you line everything up first. If you ever pop it off you'll see what I mean.

Next I lifted the seats on to the tailgate, attacked the channels with the vacuum cleaner as best I could and wiped down what I could reach.

Seats in and no spare bits Mr. Green

Putting the side trims back in was a bit of a faff, make sure you check where the seat cushion latch is; if it is in the "open" position you need to close it or the trim doesn't go back on, the faff of it is you need to keep the seat cushion up but not locked in position. I also found evidence of somebody having been in there before, a couple of trim clips were snapped but not really a problem. Just be aware most of the plastics will by now be old and quite brittle so go carefully removing and refitting trim pieces.

Sparkly clean and sweeter smelling too Thumbs Up

All in all I suppose I took about 4 hours taking it all out, cleaning everything and then putting it all back but I was really pleased with the result. The carpet is almost like new and with the sticky mess gone I expect the occasional odd odour will now be gone.

Cheers.

Post #224668915th Aug 2021 4:54 pm
dandam

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Great job, very satisfying to do something like this
 2007 D3 2.7TD SE - Vienna Green  
Post #224713318th Aug 2021 12:52 am
classic kev

Hi dandam! It certainly is satisfying to improve something with nothing but a bit of effort. I know many might disagree and see car cleaning and maintenance as a wasted effort and rather pointless but personally I don't like driving around in something that looks and smells like a skip.

Post #224721918th Aug 2021 4:08 pm
classic kev

It's been more than a little while since I last posted. Firstly, I hope you all had a pleasant Christmas and wish you all a happy and hopefully prosperous New year.

So, not really had much to do on the Disco (touch wood!), it has been remarkably good but one thing that has been annoying me has been the windscreen wipers, more specifically, the drivers side wiper. It has never been right, it was juddering, then it was smearing parts of the screen. When I had a new windscreen put in I changed the blades and although it was a bit better it still wasn't right. The wiper would make a sharp cracking noise when changing direction which gets tiresome.

Today is a misty wet miserable day although rather mild for the time of year, I went out to get some diesel and I decided I had to do something with the noisy wiper. I cleaned the screen and the blade then looked at the arm and the orientation of the blade to the screen at the end of the sweep.

It looks like somebody has been at this arm before, the arm has been twisted so the blade was laying over instead of being perpendicular to the glass. So I reached for a large adjustable spanner and gently twisted the arm until the blade was perpendicular to the glass and then pushed the arm back to its park position. Sprayed some water on the screen and flicked the switch....... Success! The troublesome noisy blade is now smooth and quiet. So if you have wiper issues, 1 check the blade and glass are clean, 2 check the blade itself is in good condition then 3, check the alignment of the blade to the glass in the straight up position.

Cheers!

Post #226946528th Dec 2021 12:29 pm
Bicycle repairman

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Been a thoroughly good read from start to finish and all credit to you tackling all these jobs. For me doing it day in day out doesn't diminish the magnitude of the tasks you under take, some of the most simple jobs can take an age hamfisted repairs, rusted bolts and corroded wires all add to the fun.
Having just bought a 2010 D4 from the boss I found your paint detailing section very interesting it will be a job for the spring time, the paint is in good order but you can still see the swirls in the paint from the polisher.
Now I know your here I'll keep an eye out for future post all the best and happy new year.
 D4 GS let the retro fit begin
Heated steering wheel
Aftermarket TPMS
Double Din head unit satnav and TV
Reverse Camera
Cubby fridge
Door panel upgrade
Mood lighting
Digital Dash personalised
Back lit sun visors
4.5 Facelift front, rear and memory mirrors
Stainless bumper tread plate
6 pot Brembo conversion
HSE heated memory seats
Retro fit auto lights and wipers
LR 663 Defender alloys
275 45 20 GG AT3s
quarter of a D3 

Post #226973729th Dec 2021 9:03 pm
classic kev

Thanks for the support and your interest. It’s nice to know you enjoy my ramblings. I’m not sure what will be next. Still have the oil pump to do, but so far I’m pleased with the progress to date. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #226975029th Dec 2021 9:51 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Plus 1 , also really enjoying the thread, cracking job u done there mate

Now been in that elusive area that u was earlier in the year with regards to the ECM connectors , blimey there fun to get to, luckily the pins are all ok as have been searching for a turbo boost error showing N/A currently got the throttle body all off for cleaning , but like an idiot parked the disco to near my hedge as want to ensure the turbos actuator arm is moving full travel , plus this supplementary sensor showing minus 40 , what ever that is, lol , luckily Prof G has also been extremely helpful

Waiting for some new bolts as someone in the past has mullered them, would rather wait a few more days so can put all new ones in , plus some new egr pipe clamps as again old ones arnt very good , just want it to be 100% before re installing everything ,

Then can start the engine and move it over , check turbo actuator arm then give it another drive for some more live data results and go from there , ooops, sorry I’m waffling again, lol

Once again great thread mate and looking forward to its progress

Lastly a very happy 2022 to u and the family Bow down

Post #226975629th Dec 2021 10:31 pm
classic kev

Hi Gstuart, hope all is good with you and yours. Glad your TCM pins look clean and free of the dreaded green death. I might pop the TCM out of mine and attempt to give them a clean up.

Turbo actuator is a pain to get at but it is possible with a piece of wire and some patience to see if it moves freely, luckily mine did when I checked it.

Have you tried looking at live data to see the boost pressure? If the actuator isn't working properly I would think you would see lower boost. Another one to maybe look at is the engine torque - IID will read this and would give a clue about engine performance but I'm not sure if you can watch torque and boost pressure at the same time? That supplementary sensor at -40 doesn't look right but like you, I'm not sure what that sensor is or what it does. I wish you good luck with it but I am fairly sure one way or the other you'll get it sorted - Never Quit!

Post #226986830th Dec 2021 12:35 pm
classic kev

I was feeling a bit bored today but seeing as it was quite pleasant outside I thought I would have a proper look at the state of the pins on the TCM.

I found some corrosion in there a while back but didn't actually remove the whole module to have a proper look, so in I went.

As most will probably know, the TCM sits behind the battery in a black plastic case and has 3 multi-plugs. It is quite easy to remove and well worth checking. If the pins are badly corroded and the TCM starts to play up you will have all manner of errors and warning lights. Luckily, I've not had any issues.

So the first step is unlock the car, leave it a while so it is asleep. Remove the battery box cover, disconnect the battery, remove the battery clamp and remove the battery. As you've taken the battery out, you might as well stick on charge - at least, that's what I did.

Next, open the front cover of the TCM, there are two clips, one on each of the upper corners, just release and pull the cover forward. You will probably need to gently push out the cable gromet/gland things - push them toward the bulkhead, they should just slide out, if not, pull the little tab and lift up.

Now pop the multi-plugs off, there are just the 3 of them. Be careful of the two small wires on the two pin plug to the right hand side. You don't have to remove the plug for the two small wires if you are careful and don't pull on them.

To release the TCM there are two tabs at the top corners of the bracket/flange of the TCM casing. Gently pull the tabs back and the TCM will release. If you didn't remove the front cover completely (I didn't) it will give a little so you can get the TCM out.

Now you can inspect and clean all the pins. Then you can put it all back!

Here's the pics!

You need to get in here, behind where the battery lives.

TCM is under this black cover

The TCM!

Pins clean, not too bad and should be good for a while yet.

It occurs to me I have owned the D3 for almost a whole year. MOT is due start of Feb, so I will need to stick it on the ramp and have a quick prod and poke around to see if there is anything obvious to do before test but I am quietly confident. Watch this space! Cheers and happy spannering Thumbs Up

Post #22705733rd Jan 2022 4:59 pm
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nice work on the TCM there, Kev. I'm tempted to do the same on mine. However, it's a LHD, would the TCM then be on the other side of the engine bay, as that's where my battery sits?

Post #22705923rd Jan 2022 6:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 15 <123 ... 789 ... 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >