Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

D3 & D4 Sunroof Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
D3 & D4 Sunroof Replacement

Firstly, best avoided if possible, in this heat wave best keep the sunroof on tilt or open a window 25mm.

The front sunroofs in both D3 and D4 are identical

If just the glass shatters ( tempered glass) tape it up and see if you can put the sunroof to fully open. Remove the wind deflector and push back the plastic covers on the track (1 each side) Then release the torx screws and pins that hold the glass in place. Replacement is a reversal of the above. You won’t generally find a breakers of LR cars with just the glass for sale.

If just the motor has failed, then pull down the centre roof mounted alarm sensor and you have access to the motor ( 3 torx screws) and the control module ( 2 screws ) The motor sits on a cast positioning piece that can only be fitted one way and will come off with the motor.

If you need to replace the whole sunroof unit, then the way to do this is to drop the roof lining, you do not need to remove it completely. Put both seats into recline position. Take down the ‘A’ ‘B’ and ‘C’ pillars, roof handles, visors and the light units. You don’t even need to completely disconnect them if your connectors wont budge and you don’t want to risk breaking them. There are push ‘snap’ fittings either side of the sunroof openings that hold the lining in place, just a even gently tug will release them. I rested my lining on the rear view mirror. I removed all the shattered pieces of glass from mine and removed about 95% of the total glass area and then taped the remaining bits around the edges to avoid cuts. Disconnect the feed to the motor. Remove the 4 drain pipes, they just push in place.

There are 11 x 10mm bolts that hold the sun roof in place. I undid all of them
except 2 at the front and the one at the rear by the motor( they are semi captive ) At this point it’s worth getting an extra pair of hands to help. A 17 yr old son with over exercised thumbs works well. Get them in the drivers seat and hold the roof whilst you remove the remaining bolts. Then slide the roof out via the passenger door. The new sun roof can be installed the same way, slide it in and get the extra pair of hands to hold it up in position, whilst you get a couple of bolts in place and loosely tightened. Have a check from above it’s in place correctly and do up the other bolts, I worked diagonally and then just nipped them up. At this point connect the motor and test that the roof works correctly. Connect up the roof drains and then you can re clip the roof lining before re fixing ABC pillars and the rest of the trim.

Took me about 4.5 hours to do this, as I’m OCD about parts and cleanliness.

Post #196418616th Jul 2018 8:35 pm
onetwentie

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Charliecloud - thank you so much for a brilliant write up Thumbs Up

My sunroof wouldn't open. Also on the passenger side towards the rear of the sunroof, it wasn't seated properly. I ran the reset procedure (as documented on some threads on here - hold down the close button for 20 seconds with the ignition on.)

This started the sunroof opening. After a few cm of movement, I heard a juddering noise.

I removed the light/switch panel for the middle row as well as the other square box attached to the headliner and found that the torx screws holding the sunroof motor to the unit, were loose. So I tightened them and tried again.

This time the sunroof would move better but then it was getting stuck on the metal rods attached to the wind deflector (the wind deflector wasn't being pushed down properly) so wouldn't complete the full cycle.

When i pushed the wind deflector down myself, it still doesn't close fully, with one side remaining protruded - the same side as before.

What I also noticed was that on the opening cycle, the glass moved from one side more than the other, causing almost a 'rotating' type movement. I'm wondering if this means that the screws that hold the glass to the track are loose? I visually inspected and they seemed okay. I would like to remove the glass to check and according to your write up it is possible to remove the glass without removing the headliner, but wanted to ask you or anyone else that has tackled this to confirm.

Thanks again, hope the above made sense.

Post #233746723rd May 2023 10:01 am
Steve71

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I never did work out why my sunroof has never open under normal operation but does when I try reset it.
Would that be a faulty motor or would I be better off just changing out the whole thing?

Post #233769425th May 2023 9:02 am
onetwentie

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
All done - Thanks

Quick update - I got my replacement sunroof through from the bay of fleas. It was actually off a Discovery 4, but as pointed out by OP they are the same.

Headliner off was not too much of a challenge. Unbolting the old one wasn't either. Rebolting the new one was a bit tricky, but still doable.

Putting the headliner back on..? Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

That was hard!

Overall, everything put back together and now have a working sunroof.

Thanks to OP and gstuart for your help! Thumbs Up

Post #23387937th Jun 2023 2:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >